entertaining dialogue from "Monsieur Spade" episode #4

来源: 最西边的岛上 2024-02-05 19:45:07 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5218 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 最西边的岛上 ] 在 2024-04-12 10:08:40 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Backgroud: Mr Spade is an American detective living in a french village.  One night, two men broke in and tried to kidnap a girl in his house and one man almost killed Spade.  But Spade captured the man and below is the dialogue between them, but mostly by him (with the red colour for the other man)

added: [  ]s are "major" actions happened during the dialogue. 

========

Another time, another place, a man tried to kill me, I would shot him or throw him out of a window, and forgotten he ever existed. But I'm older now and mostly wiser.

Do you have a name?
[no answer]

Didn't think so.

Are you a Dean Martin fan?
[no answer]

I figure that you've been well-trained and won't be easily persuaded to talk, but I'm gonna ask you some questions anyways. Easy questions. And every time you don't answer or say, "Je sais pas" (= I don't know), I'm gonna kick you in the head. You know? Like the song? And then answer the question myself.  Sound good?
[no answer, blow lands, man grunts]

Off we go.
So I don't have to be J. Edgar Hoover to guess that you're army intelligence and that your employers at SDECE, -- Did I pronounce that right?
[blow lands]

Oui, c'est bien ca (= yes, that's good). That's always been a hard one for me.
Where was I? Oh, yeah, SDECE, army intelligence, the outfit that you work for, who I'm assuming, like everyone else in the known universe, is angry with Philippe Sanit-Andre for stealing something, or, in this case, someone he was odered to protect. 
[man avoids being beaten]

No, that wasn't a question. But Sergeant Sanit-Andre does work for SDEGE, doesn't he?
[blow lands,man grunts]

That was a question, and the answer is ... Yes, Mr Spade, he does. But he went rogue. 
So did you and your pal drop by tonight to see if the girl could tell you where the kid is? 
[blow lands,man grunts]

Yes, you did. Because the original likely plan was that Sergeant Saint-Andre was to deliver tha kid to the big boys in Paris. 
[blow lands]

Yes, that was the plan. I'm on a hot streak, but now for the million-franc question. What is so important about this little kid that everyone is willing to muder nuns or kidnap young girls in order to get their hands on him?

Man: I don't know Orders were come and search, and if the boy wasn't there, to take the girl. 

But you came dressed for war, all gunned up like you thought you might get into a firefight. 

Man: you have a reputation.

I'm flattered, but ... 

[blow lands]
Man: Please, stop doing that.

I will if you stop talking bullshit. You thought Philippe might be here. 

Man: for good reason. Do you know what Saint-Andre did in Algeria?

He was with a sniper unit. 

Man: A secret spy unit. Sanit-Andre hunted down members of Organisation Armee Secrete. Yes. And assassinated them. He had over 30 kills.

Still, that tells me nothing as to why everyone, from the Vatican, to Frence intelligence, to the CIA, is after this kid.

Man: All I know is what I have heard whispered. 

Okay, then whisper it to me.
[head moves closer to the man]

Man: That the boy is the hub of many-spoked wheel.

That sounds like something you'd read in a fortune cookie.

Man: It's all I've heard. I swear on my mother's life.

所有跟帖: 

Ur English writing is very fluent!“That sounds like -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/05/2024 postreply 20:05:04

something you'd read in a fortune cookie.” 哈哈~ -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/05/2024 postreply 20:05:29

funny and witty, isn't it? ;-) -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 05:34:12

thx. but I didn't write it, just copied the words down. ;-) -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 05:32:56

Hoover's quite alive in public imagination. Thanks4Sharing. -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/05/2024 postreply 20:35:12

u r welcome. a bit of controversial figure, wasn't he? -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 05:40:57

and therefore appealing. Sure. It's a show, after all :-) -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 09:05:49

I meant Hoover, sorry for not being clear ;-) -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 15:08:08

Thank you for sharing! 先点赞,有空仔细看。:)) -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 09:39:04

take Ur time. Sorry it's a bit long, but worth reading. -最西边的岛上- 给 最西边的岛上 发送悄悄话 最西边的岛上 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 15:05:32

worth reading +100086! :)) -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/06/2024 postreply 18:38:54

entertaining and witty! -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/07/2024 postreply 07:39:29

刚刚仔细看了一遍,有很多地道表达!喜欢。请继续多多分享。:)) -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/07/2024 postreply 07:42:19

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”