The 93-94 Pinnacle of Hollywood Golden Age (2)

来源: 唐宋韵 2024-01-14 20:02:02 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (26118 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 唐宋韵 ] 在 2024-01-14 20:53:38 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

好莱坞黄金时代的精华两年:2. The remains of the day

Two-year Pinnacle of Hollywood Golden Age: 2. The remains of the day

The remains of the day这部1993年的片子,是我到美国多年以后才看的。假如我是在看Sleepless in Seattle那个年龄看这部片子,或许我一下子看不进去。但中年以后看,心态则不一样,我很高兴我看得比较晚,能够欣赏其中细腻的东西。看完以后,我首先对《告别有情天》这个翻译不太满意,认为它有些不知所云。而同名小说的翻译《长日将尽》,我认为更加切题,并给人以想象的空间。

The movie "The Remains of the Day" is one I watched after many years of being in the United States. If I had watched it at the age when I was watching "Sleepless in Seattle," perhaps I wouldn't have appreciated it immediately. However, watching it in midlife, my perspective was different, and I'm glad I watched it later, able to appreciate its subtle nuances. After finishing it, I was initially dissatisfied with the Chinese translation "告别有情天", feeling it was somewhat unclear. In contrast, the translation of the novel with the same name, "长日将尽" seemed more apt and left room for imagination.

我倾向于认为这是一部爱情悲剧,且是一出比较特殊的悲剧。主人公并没有流血或死亡,也没有棒打鸳鸯、妻离子散这样的场景,一切似乎都很平淡,波澜不惊。主人公勤恳、自律几十年,最终发现自己的人生一无所获,他所遵循和追求的也如同虚空。然而,时光不能倒流,生命的长日将尽,他只能在人生的惯性和苦涩的自省中走完他生命的历程。

I tend to think of it as a love tragedy, a rather unique one. The protagonist doesn't bleed or die, and there are no dramatic scenes of romantic conflicts or family breakdowns. Everything seems calm, without many ripples. The protagonist diligently and self-disciplined for decades ultimately discovers that his life has amounted to nothing very meaningful, and what he followed and pursued is like chasing after emptiness. However, time cannot be reversed, and the long day of life comes to the evening. He can only walk through the inertia of life and bitter self-reflection during the remains of his time.

本电影是根据英国日裔小说家Kazuo Ishiguro(石黑一雄)的同名小说改编的。这位作者值得多说几句。他是当代最有影响力的英文作家之一,也是2017年诺贝尔文学奖获得者。其实,英语并不是石黑一雄的母语。他6岁的时候跟随父母从日本长崎来到英国。他的父亲政府雇员,从事海洋测绘和潮汐监控工作。有一次接受采访时石黑一雄说,他曾经认为他与父亲没有相同之处。后来发现还是有的,那就是父子俩都不需要别人的指引,就能找到自己的方向。

This movie is based on the novel of the same name by Kazuo Ishiguro, a British-Japanese novelist. Ishiguro is one of the most influential contemporary English writers and the Nobel Prize laureate in Literature in 2017. Interestingly, English is not Ishiguro's native language. He moved from Nagasaki, Japan, to the UK with his parents when he was six. His father, a government employee, was involved in marine surveying and tidal monitoring. Despite initial thoughts that he and his father had nothing in common, Ishiguro later realized that they shared the ability to find their own direction without external guidance.

石黑一雄是随着自己的兴趣成长的,他曾经希望自己当一名音乐作曲家。他也喜欢写作,认为写小说是不错的第二选择。他上的大学没什么名气。毕业以后他在相当一段时间里的工作是social worker,帮助无家可归者。假如这样一个孩子出现在今天美国的华裔、印度裔和韩裔家庭里,父母恐怕是很感“失败”和忧心的。也许他们根本不允许这种作曲、写小说的梦想存在。大部分情况下,虎爹虎妈们面对社会现实,心情可以理解。但是,如果一个孩子喜欢一个不popular的专业,只要他痴迷且极有天赋,则不该随意打碎他们的梦想。

Ishiguro grew with his interests; he initially aspired to become a music composer and later found writing novels to be a good second choice. He worked as a social worker for a considerable time after graduating, assisting the homeless. In today's Chinese, Indian, and Korean American families, parents might feel a sense of failure and worry if their child expressed such dreams. The societal reality they face is understandable, but if a child is passionate and talented in an unpopular field, as long as they are dedicated, it’s really wrong to shatter their dreams.

石黑一雄的作品并不很多,长篇更少,但写一部是一部,几乎每一部都能得奖,最终走到了巅峰。上面那张彩色照是他被授予诺贝尔文学奖时。左下的黑白照是The remains of the day获得Booker Prize时太太对他亲吻道贺。那时他才三十出头的年纪。他此前的两部作品也和成功,受到评论界的广泛赞誉。据说评论家过多地强调他的移民身份,让石黑一雄不太舒服,于是就写了这本关于butler的书,比现在的英国还英国。石黑一雄坦言,他在生活中不认识任何管家。他仅仅依靠各类书籍文献,就创造出一个传统英国管家和他的世界,这就是天赋!

Although Ishiguro has not produced many novels, each one has received acclaim, and he finally reached the pinnacle of success. The colored photo above shows him being awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature. The black and white photo in the bottom left is when "The Remains of the Day" won the Booker Prize, and his wife kissed him in congratulations. At that time, he was in his early thirties. His two previous works also achieved success and received widespread acclaim in the literary community. It is said that critics excessively emphasized his immigrant background, making Kazuo Ishiguro uncomfortable. As a response, he wrote the book about a butler, which is “more British” than Britain itself. Ishiguro openly admits that he doesn't know any butlers in real life. He solely relied on various books and documents to create a traditional British butler and his world, showcasing his talent.

这是一个英国的故事,所以(美国)导演James Ivory特意在拍片时以“英国因素”为主。两位英国大师级戏骨Anthony Hopkins 扮演Mr. Stevens,Emma Thompson 扮演Miss  Kenton。就在一年前的1992年,这三位合作拍出了《霍华德庄园》(Howards End),Emma Thompson因此获得奥斯卡最佳女主角奖。而Anthony Hopkins更为中国观众所熟知。他在1991年与Judie Foster合作出演《沉默的羔羊》,获奥斯卡最佳男主角奖。

This is a British story, so the American director James Ivory deliberately emphasized the "British factor" while filming. Two British masterful actors, Anthony Hopkins as Mr. Stevens and Emma Thompson as Miss Kenton, played the lead roles. Just a year before, in 1992, the trio collaborated on "Howards End," for which Emma Thompson won the Oscar for Best Actress. Anthony Hopkins, well-known to Chinese audiences, had previously won the Oscar for Best Actor in 1991 for his role in "The Silence of the Lambs," where he starred alongside Jodie Foster.

The remains of the day上映之后大受好评。此片在1994年的奥斯卡获得了8个奖项提名,包括最佳导演、最佳影片、最佳男主角、最佳女主角等等,但最终居然没有获得一个奖项,是非常令人遗憾的。因为同年斯皮尔伯格导演的《辛德勒的名单》,最佳导演和最佳影片归后者没有太大异议。但两位演员落选则不合理。我猜想,Hopkins和Thompson没有得到94年的奥斯卡,可能主要是因为他们刚得过。其实,他们在这部影片中的表演实在是出神入化。这部片子里,有大量的两人戏和近景、特写镜头。我相信对于学习表演艺术的学生,这部片子里两人的表演是一部教科书。

"The Remains of the Day" received widespread acclaim after its release. In the 1994 Oscars, the film garnered 8 nominations, including Best Director, Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, and more. However, it surprisingly did not win any awards, which is highly regrettable. The film faced tough competition that year, especially from Steven Spielberg's "Schindler's List," which received little disagreement for winning Best Director and Best Picture. The exclusion of both lead actors, Hopkins and Thompson, seems unjustifiable. I speculate that their previous wins might have played a role in them not receiving Oscars in 1994. In reality, their performances in this film were truly outstanding. The movie features a significant amount of scenes with just the two actors, along with close-ups and detailed shots. I believe that for students learning and studying performing arts, the performances of Hopkins and Thompson in this film serve as a textbook example.

现在具体说说情节。故事的前半部发生在1930年代的英国。Mr. Stevens是Darlington公爵的的庄园中的管家(butler)。这种英国贵族家的管家,历来具有极高的声誉。他们绝非简单地打扫卫生、安排饮食的housekeeper,他是贵族的家务总管。他们对主人的忠诚,行为举止的得体,对工作细节的苛刻,繁忙之中显示的处变不惊,特别是在遵从职业操守中显示的尊严,是外人很难想象的。Mr. Stevens就是这种管家中的极品,当时虽然已是现代社会,但他却依然显示传统管家的刻板的尽忠和严谨。

Now, let's talk a little about the plot. The story's first half takes place in 1930s England. Mr. Stevens is the butler in the estate of the Lord Darlington. This type of butler in the homes of British nobility has always held a high reputation. They are not merely housekeepers responsible for cleaning and arranging meals; instead, they serve as the overall managers of the noble household. Their loyalty to the master, proper behavior, meticulous attention to work details, calm demeanor amidst busyness, and, especially, the dignity displayed in adhering to professional ethics are qualities that outsiders find hard to imagine. Mr. Stevens epitomizes this type of butler, embodying the traditional traits of unwavering loyalty and precision, even in the modern era.

然而,要不是因为影片反映他是正常的人,我真会认为他这样的人是同性恋或者有较严重的心理问题。女管家Miss Kenton爱他,对他有那么多的流露和暗示,他的内心显然也爱Miss Kenton,可是Mr. Stevens的压抑与否认简直到了不可理喻的程度。那一天,在Mr. Stevens的办公室里,Miss Kenton试图通过他正在读的那本“爱情故事”,捅破两人关系的窗户纸。可是他却生硬地将她推走了。Mr. Stevens不是没有抓住爱情,他似乎没有表达爱的能力。

However, were it not for the film portraying him as a straight, normal person, I might genuinely have thought that someone like him was either homosexual or had serious psychological issues. The housekeeper, Miss Kenton, loves him, expressing her feelings and dropping hints, and it's evident that Mr. Stevens also has feelings for Miss Kenton. However, the extent of Mr. Stevens' repression and denial is almost incomprehensible. One day, in Mr. Stevens' office, Miss Kenton attempts to break through the barrier of their relationship by referencing a "love story" he is reading. Yet, he coldly pushes her away. It's not that Mr. Stevens is incapable of grasping love; rather, he seems to lack the ability to express it.

在Darlington庄园那么长时间里,Mr. Stevens对Miss Kenton说的最亲近的一句话就是You are extremely important to this house. 似乎能够与她在工作中朝夕相处他就心满意足了。然而,Miss Kenton不能永远这样等他。当Mr. Benn向她求婚后,Miss Kenton去告诉Mr. Stevens,说她“正在考虑”,她是在作最后的努力。而他却表情复杂地说“谢谢,祝你愉快”。当Miss Kenton告诉他已经接受了Mr. Benn的求婚后,他压抑着伤感,故作镇静地说“最诚挚的祝贺”。他这种极端的压抑、否认简直像是失去了人性,让人为Miss Kenton的感情觉得不值,乐见她的离开。

During his extended time at Darlington estate, the closest Mr. Stevens ever came to expressing intimacy to Miss Kenton was saying, "You are extremely important to this house." It seems that for him, being together with her in their daily work was satisfying enough. However, Miss Kenton cannot wait for him indefinitely. When Mr. Benn proposes to her, Miss Kenton goes to inform Mr. Stevens, stating that she is "considering" the proposal—a final effort on her part. In response, he reacts with a unbelievable expression, saying, "Thank you, and I wish you happiness." When Miss Kenton later informs him that she has accepted Mr. Benn's proposal, he suppresses his sadness, feigning composure and saying, "My warmest congratulations." His extreme repression and denial seem to have stripped away his humanity, making me feel Miss Kenton's emotions seem unworthy, and her departure a good move.

爱情故事的同时还有另一条线在展开,即Darlington公爵是一位涉足政治的贵族。他认为一战后对德国的制裁是不公的,Darlington庄园经常举行非正式的政治会谈。在影片显示的一次幕后的重要国际会议上,Darlington公爵向德国示好,希望提升纳粹掌权的德国的地位。然而,德国带来的二战席卷了欧洲和世界,战后他也因此名誉扫地,不久郁郁而终。

Simultaneously, alongside the love story, another narrative unfolds: the Lord Darlington is a nobleman involved in politics. Darlington estate frequently hosts informal political discussions. Lord Darlington believes the post-World War I sanctions against Germany are unjust, and In a crucial behind-the-scenes international meeting depicted in the film, the he shows goodwill towards Germany, hoping to elevate the position of the Nazi-controlled Germany. However, the consequences of Germany's actions lead to World War II sweeping across Europe and the world. After the war, the Lord Darlington 's reputation is tarnished, and he succumbs to melancholy not long afterward.

在那次幕后会议上,唯一对那群欧洲政客和贵族唱反调的,是美国代表、议员Mr. Lewis。 他警告他们,天真、“业余”的和平梦想是要付出代价的。扮演Mr. Lewis的是美国演员Christopher Reeve。他早年主演《超人》和续集,是美国家喻户晓的人物。本片中高大、健壮他扮演人单势孤的Mr. Lewis非常合适。Reeve的表现也很到位。不幸的是,在本片上映后不久,他在1995年因赛马事故,脊髓从颈椎处断裂,头部以下完全瘫痪,连呼吸都需要机器维持。Reeve不仅仅是靠身材和肌肉演戏的,他出生于一个颇有文化的家庭,毕业于康奈尔大学。他的瘫痪虽然如此严重,但在2004年逝世前的9年里一直工作,他著书、写剧本、做导演,作品多次获得艾米奖、格莱美奖等,实在令人敬佩!

In that behind-the-scenes meeting, the sole dissenting voice among the group of European politicians and aristocrats was the U.S. Congressman, Mr. Lewis. He warned them that naive and amateurish dreams of peace come with a cost. Portrayed by American actor Christopher Reeve, Mr. Lewis, a tall and robust figure, played the role of a lone voice of reason appropriately. Reeve's performance was also spot-on. Unfortunately, shortly after the film's release, in 1995, he suffered a spinal cord injury from a horse-riding accident, leaving him completely paralyzed from the neck down, even requiring a ventilator for breathing. Reeve's contributions extended beyond his physicality; born into a cultured family and a graduate of Cornell University. After his extremely severe injury, he continued to work for nine years until his passing in 2004. During this time, he wrote books, scripts, and directed, earning accolades such as Emmy and Grammy Awards, displaying admirable resilience.

回到影片。20年过后的1958年,Darlington公爵已经去世,Mr. Lewis从美国政坛退休,成了庄园的新主人(实际上前后两个时间段发生的事件,在影片中是相互穿插的)。Mr. Steven继续去做Mr. Lewis的管家。美国人的随意和不优雅让他颇不适应。就在这时候,他收到了Mrs. Benn (即当年的Miss Kenton)的一封信。她此时已经离婚,考虑再到Darlington庄园来做事。于是Mr. Stevens就驱车去见她了。

Returning to the film, in 1958, two decades after the events portrayed, the Lord Darlington has passed away, and Mr. Lewis has retired from U.S. politics, becoming the new owner of the estate (events from different time periods are interwoven in the film). Mr. Stevens continues to serve as Mr. Lewis's butler. The American casualness and lack of elegance was a little challenging for him. At this juncture, he receives a letter from Mrs. Benn (formerly Miss Kenton). She has divorced and is considering returning to work at Darlington estate. Consequently, Mr. Stevens drives to meet her.

重逢是礼貌而伤感的。Mr. Stevens带着某种改正过去的人生错误的愿望而来。然而Mrs. Benn告诉他,刚刚得知女儿怀孕了,她将去女儿那里长期帮助她,不去Darlington庄园了。两人在瓢泼大雨中告别(也是永别)的场景令人动容。

The reunion is polite yet poignant. Mr. Stevens arrives with a desire to rectify past life mistakes. However, Mrs. Benn informs him that she has just learned of her daughter's pregnancy and intends to go to her daughter's side for long-term assistance, deciding not to return to Darlington estate. The scene of their farewell (they will never meet again) in pouring rain is truly heartbreaking.

我认为电影到此结尾就很好。然而电影却另有一个颇有寓意的结尾:一只鸽子误入大厅,无法飞回室外。这时候,是Mr. Lewis捉住了它,开门放飞,。门随即被Mr. Stevens关上了。他眼望着高空重新获得自由的鸽子,若有所思。而他自己,怕是要在那幽暗的庄园城堡里面了此一生了……

I feel the movie could conclude very well at this point. However, the film has another symbolic ending: a pigeon accidentally enters the hall and cannot fly back outside. At that moment, Mr. Lewis catches it, opens the door, and releases the pigeon. The door is then closed by Mr. Stevens. He watches the pigeon regain its freedom in the sky, deep in contemplation. As for himself, he is likely to spend the rest of his life within the dim confines of the estate castle...

(Edited from ChatGPT translation.)

Youtube上没有该片的全片。但全片可以通过下面链接观看——

https://www.mcoun.com/vodplay/42008-1-1.html

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

原来是诺贝尔文学奖获得者小说改编的电影。。庄园里的镜头充满贵族气息。。 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 20:32:42

他写写小说时是个小年轻,过了差不多30年才拿的诺贝尔奖。。。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 20:38:07

好东西有人认。他小说还没出版,电影的改编版权就被买了。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 20:39:53

I enjoyed the novel more than the film. I admire -renqiulan- 给 renqiulan 发送悄悄话 renqiulan 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 20:57:01

Kazuo Ishiguro's literary talent. His English is deceptively -renqiulan- 给 renqiulan 发送悄悄话 renqiulan 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 20:58:14

plain but impressively suave. -renqiulan- 给 renqiulan 发送悄悄话 renqiulan 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 21:00:24

I must confess I've not yet read any of his books. -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 21:04:30

I should read one or two soon... -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 21:05:21

You won't regret it. -renqiulan- 给 renqiulan 发送悄悄话 renqiulan 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/14/2024 postreply 21:43:21

Liked the story&performance even when I was in college. -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 08:12:39

Tried to love the book but was distracted by better stories. -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 08:13:35

Could you tell me a couple of "better stories"? -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 08:54:33

Dickens, Dostoyevski, too many :-) -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 08:59:07

I understand these masterpieces. Any books in recent 40-y ? -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 09:04:41

"Read nothing from the past one hundred years." - Taleb :-) -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 09:11:15

That said, I enjoyed Michael Dibidin, Murakami, Pollan, etc. -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 09:12:23

Thanks.. -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 09:22:35

Thanks for sharing the movie review! -甜虫虫- 给 甜虫虫 发送悄悄话 甜虫虫 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 08:58:23

Thanks for reading and nice words. -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/15/2024 postreply 09:05:24

Sir Anthony Hopkins said, his life was wasted, not doing -TJKCB- 给 TJKCB 发送悄悄话 TJKCB 的博客首页 (416 bytes) () 01/16/2024 postreply 00:14:00

Really? Any source? -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/16/2024 postreply 10:01:09

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!