【老布什留给克林顿的,不仅仅是一封信】Bush Sr not only left a letter to Clinton

来源: 唐宋韵 2023-12-20 21:08:57 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (13166 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 唐宋韵 ] 在 2023-12-20 21:24:27 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

老布什留给克林顿的,不仅仅是一封信

What George H.W. Bush left for Clinton was not just a letter.

年轻人常有前瞻的梦想,老年人多有难忘的回忆。我现在回忆逐渐多起来了,看来情况不妙。我的回忆相当多地集中于30年前后的一段时间。那几年是我的一段焦虑不安的蹉跎岁月,但似乎心中的感受和记忆力都特别活跃。

Young people often have forward-looking dreams, while the elderly often have unforgettable memories. As I recall more and more nowadays, it doesn’t suggest an exciting trend for myself. My memories are concentrated largely on a period around 30 years ago. Those years were a time of anxiety and restlessness for me, but it seems that the feelings in my heart and my memory were particularly active.

1993年是一个平凡的年份。但即便平凡,世界上还是出了一些事情的,比如巴勒斯坦和以色列签订了奥斯陆协议,假如早已作古的拉宾和阿拉法特知道今天的巴以关系、今天的加沙是这般模样,不知作何感想。那一年春天,中国接入了Internet,不久以后大学和研究机构率先有了email。那年夏天,发生了影响中美关系的银河号事件,至今犹被提及。当然,那年最大的事件之一,便是46岁的小伙子比尔?克林顿入主白宫。

1993 was an ordinary year, but even in its ordinariness, some important events occurred in the world. For example, the Oslo Accords were signed between Palestine and Israel. If Rabin and Arafat, who have long since passed away, knew about the current situation in the Israeli-Palestinian relationship and Gaza, I wonder how they would feel. In the spring of that year, China connected to the Internet, and shortly thereafter, universities and research institutions were among the first to have email. In the summer of that year, the "Galaxy incident" occurred, affecting Sino-American relations and still being talked about today. Of course, one of the biggest events that year was the 46-year-old "young man" Bill Clinton taking over the White House.

在年前的选举中,这位名不见经传的阿肯色州州长,击败了似乎连任不成问题的老布什。这至少令大多数中国人觉得不可思议。就在不久前的1991年初,在第一次海湾战争中,美军以摧枯拉朽之势击垮了萨达姆的伊拉克军队,解放了科威特,老布什的威望和支持率也是如日中天。怎么美国选民刚过一年就翻脸呢?美国人民是健忘的,他们不会因为老布什曾经的功勋而顶礼膜拜他。海外战争以后美国的经济衰退,失业率上升到7.8%,政府债务飙升。于是布什政府一方面减少对必要项目的资金支持,另一方面增税,其结果是失去了左右双方的支持。人民决定换个人有锐气的年轻人克林顿试试。何况他还选了同样年轻、背景迥然不同的Al Gore 做为搭档。

In the elections just before the new year, this relatively unknown governor of Arkansas defeated the seemingly unbeatable George H.W. Bush. This was at least astonishing to most Chinese people. Just a year ago, in early 1991, during the First Gulf War, the U.S. military had decisively defeated Saddam's Iraqi forces, liberated Kuwait, and George H.W. Bush's prestige and approval ratings were soaring. How could American voters turn their backs so quickly? The American people are "forgetful"; they won't worship him just because of his past achievements. After the war, the U.S. experienced economic recession, with unemployment rising to 7.8%, and government debt soaring. So, the Bush administration reduced funding for essential projects while increasing taxes. The result was the loss of support from both sides. The people decided to try a young man with determination, Bill Clinton. Moreover, he chose Al Gore, who was also young and had a different background, as his running mate.

总统就职仪式结束,克林顿夫妇来到白宫。当他进入椭圆办公室,就看到了老布什离开时留在桌上的一封短信:

After the inauguration ceremony, the Clintons arrived at the White House. When Clinton entered the Oval Office, he saw a letter left on the desk by George H.W. Bush:

亲爱的比尔:

我刚才走进这个办公室时,感受到的是与四年前同样的好奇与敬意。我知道你也会有这样的感觉。

我希望你在这里能够非常愉快。我从未感受到过像某些总统所描述的那种孤独感。

你将会经历非常艰难的时刻。你可能认为的不公平的批评,会让你感到更加困难。我不是一个擅长提建议的人,但不要让指责你的人使你灰心丧气或乱了方寸。

当你读到这封短笺时,你已经是我们的总统了。我祝愿你一切顺利。也祝你的家人安好。

现在你的成功就是我们国家的成功。我为你加油

祝你好运

乔治

十几年前,当我第一次读到这封短信时,我心中几分感动。特别是他说You will be our President ……Your success now is our country’s success,他在our下面专门加了横线,凸显一位成熟政治家的胸怀与风度。

Ten years ago, when I first read this letter, I was moved. Especially when he said, "You will be our President ... Your success now is our country’s success," he underlined the word "our," highlighting the broad-mindedness and demeanor of a mature politician.

民主政治具有多党竞争的特点,从来不是定于一尊或一锤子定音。因此它经常是嘈杂的、纷乱的的。当不成熟的民主制度下出现不堪,比如无底线的造谣抹黑,或议会武斗时,专制的拥趸们都会讪笑,并显得信心满满。

Democratic politics features multi-party competition and is never fixed on one person or one decision. Therefore, it is often noisy and chaotic. When immature democratic systems witness unacceptable practices, such as baseless rumors and character assassinations or parliamentary brawls, supporters of authoritarianism mock and seem confident.

美国的民主制度发展了二百多年,达到了一个相对成熟的阶段,它是有规则和底线的。比如不可以进行人格羞辱,不能搞像水门事件那样的歪门邪道。有些事情多少年来约定俗成。比如竞选辩论的时候可以对对方毫不客气、横加指责,对事实的一定的放大和扭曲也属正常。但一旦选举结束,尘埃落定,体面的concession则是必要的分寸,包括直接祝贺对方的胜利,发表concession speech,平稳交接、参加新总统就职仪式等。而且,已经卸任的总统,不论党派和原先的过节,都能保持相互尊重的良好关系。

The democratic system in the United States has developed for over two hundred years and has reached a relatively mature stage with rules and boundaries. For example, personal insults are not allowed, and unethical practices like the "Watergate scandal" are forbidden. Some things have been conventional for many years, such as being ruthless and accusatory during election debates, with some exaggeration and distortion of facts being normal. But once the election is over, when the dust settles, a dignified concession is necessary, including directly congratulating the opponent's victory, delivering a concession speech, ensuring a smooth transition, and participating in the new president's inauguration ceremony. Moreover, retired presidents, regardless of their party and past conflicts, maintain a good relationship of mutual respect.

然而,这些早已在美国政坛稀松平常的事情,在最近的总统选举和交接中消失了。假如不是美国具有十分稳定的根基,出现动乱都是可能的。这实在是一件令人悲哀的事情。我这样说,全无党派的立场。我希望在国会和白宫里坐着的,至少一部分是有能力、有操行的 state men,而不是一群玩政治的politicians。美国人民不需要政客告诉他们怎样做,但伟大的政治家会让这个国家、乃至世界的未来更和谐、美好。

However, these commonplace things in American politics have disappeared in recent presidential elections and transitions. If it weren't for the very stable foundation of the United States, turmoil could have occurred. This is truly a sad thing. I say this without a partisan position. I hope that in Congress and the White House, at least some of the people sitting there are capable and conscientious statesmen, not a group of politicians playing politics. The American people don't need politicians to tell them what to do, but great statesmen will make the future of this country and even the world more harmonious and beautiful.

在这样的现实和心理背景下,重读老布什留给克林顿的信,我心中更多了几分敬意。老布什总统94岁的人生经历是很丰富的。他是二战的英雄(几乎丧命),是耶鲁学子,是成功的商人,是白宫的主人,还是中国人民的老朋友(解读自便)。我的心中始终对他怀有敬意。转眼之间,他已离去整整五年了,我把五年前写的一首纪念小诗贴在下面

In this reality and psychological background, rereading the letter that George H.W. Bush left for Clinton, I feel even more respectful. President Bush's 94-year life experience was very rich. He was a hero of World War II (almost losing his life), a Yale graduate, a successful businessman, the master of the White House, and also the "old friend of the Chinese people" (to interpret as your understanding). I have always had respect for him in my heart. In the blink of an eye, he has been gone for a full five years. I will attach below a poem I wrote five years ago in memory of him—

【Edited from ChatGPT translation.】

更多我的博客文章>>>

所有跟帖: 

这文章本来挺好的,挺好的制度挺好的选民挺好的总统 -永远老李- 给 永远老李 发送悄悄话 (420 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 05:29:20

嗯,凡事都有因果。 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (152 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 06:19:50

这就是先有鸡还是先有蛋的问题。奥巴马可以做得更好一些,我同意这样的说法。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 08:58:27

但是,奥巴马不论怎样,有些人是不喜欢他的。很多南方白人是不能接受黑人总统的,我了解这一点。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 09:00:11

如果OBAMA胆敢像床铺那样桀骜不驯疯疯傻傻爱谁谁的话,哪怕只有10%,也早就被踢下台了 -永远老李- 给 永远老李 发送悄悄话 (249 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 09:28:44

他是按照某种模式成事、上台的,当然也就不会跳出这种模式。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 10:12:53

很多人反对他,与肤色无关。是与他的政策有关。他上任的时候,多少人支持他,我的一个教授,白人老太太当年还特地请假飞去DC -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (226 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 13:11:48

希望明年大选的时候,那两国耄耋老人不要出现。廉颇战黄忠,是美国的耻辱。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 08:55:42

克林顿时期,美国经济听说挺好的。民主党在那个时代还比较正常。 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (97 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 06:17:23

有关美国选举时民众的MOOD,有句名言 -永远老李- 给 永远老李 发送悄悄话 (565 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 07:36:02

是的。经济是关键。但对经济的感觉又是主观的。挑战一方是很喜欢拿经济说事儿的。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 09:05:48

我反对民主党不断加税。拿着中产辛苦挣来的银子,供养黑墨穆票仓。现在美墨边境形同虚设,大量非法移民正在改变美国人口结构。 -盈盈一笑间- 给 盈盈一笑间 发送悄悄话 盈盈一笑间 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 13:05:45

Bush saw through a lot of eidolons. Like his style. -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 10:17:41

是不是装?我认为不是关键。这不是父子情深。但按规则行事,表现gentlemanship,是人类良好的虚伪社交程序。 -唐宋韵- 给 唐宋韵 发送悄悄话 唐宋韵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 10:30:47

+1 订规则易,按规则行事难。 -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 10:35:16

Another point: even eidolons are not created equal :-) -7grizzly- 给 7grizzly 发送悄悄话 7grizzly 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/21/2023 postreply 10:36:02

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”