Music’s Fiercest Feuds and Beefs (IV)

来源: 移花接木 2023-01-02 12:40:56 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3877 bytes)

From classic-rock squabbles to hip-hop diss tracks and social media wars, here are the ridiculous, rancorous conflicts that have held us rapt.

Rolling Stone     Jordan Runtagh

Creative differences, financial disputes, drug abuse, love triangles – in the music industry, the opportunities to butt heads are basically limitless. The bigger the star, the bigger the ego, and when two tangle, you get a supernova of spite and bile that holds the world in rapture, turning mature adults into spit-flecked children chanting “Fight, fight, fight!” in a circle at recess.

Pick a side, or simply spectate. No judgment.

Mariah Carey vs. Whitney Houston

In the pre-Bodyguard Nineties, Whitney Houston seemed in danger of losing the octave-scaling R&B diva mantle to a young upstart named Mariah Carey. Barely in her twenties, Carey’s self-titled 1990 debut had sold 15 million copies worldwide, 5 million more than Houston’s (still absurdly high-selling) I’m Your Baby Tonight. Tabloids were quick to pit the pair against one another, but their feud was largely all smoke and no fire until Houston was asked about her supposed rivalry during a 1990 television interview – delivering the immortal: “What do I think of her? I don’t think of her.” The studio audience got the hint and hooted with Jerry Springer–level abandon. Houston’s halfhearted backpedaling (“Musically, I think she’s a good singer.”) did little to calm the crowd.

Houston served up an equally chilly response in 1995, when her own “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)” got booted from the top of the charts by “One Sweet Day,” Carey’s ballad with Boyz II Men. When MTV dared to put the “What do you think of Mimi” question to her again, she answered with the delightfully obtuse, “Maybe it’s not what I think; it’s what she thinks. It’s more important.”

Producers of the 1998 animated biblical epic The Prince of Egypt booked Carey and Houston to duet on “When You Believe” for the soundtrack, leading to a string of public goodwill gestures between the two. They put in an appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show to deny that any beef existed between them, dismissing it all as “dramatics.”

They even poked fun at their rocky past while presenting Best Male Video at the 1998 MTV Video Music Awards, strutting to the podium in identical, but supposedly “one of a kind” dresses. The staged fashion faux pas provoked a comical catfight, until they stripped down to reveal different dresses and embraced in a warm hug.

Following Houston’s death in February 2012, Carey was among the mourners at the star-studded service held in the late icon’s hometown of Newark, New Jersey. “I’m almost incapable to be talking about this still,” she said during an appearance on Good Morning America in the days that followed. “I don’t think people could ever really understand our relationship. There was always this supposed rivalry in the beginning and then we did the duet and became friends … I loved her.”

所有跟帖: 

all smoke and no fire。halfhearted :无诚意的。backpedaling:撤回。 -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 14:46:12

a string of goodwill gestures一系列善意姿态。strut趾高气扬地走。faux pas:失礼 -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 14:51:42

catfight:女人吵架。star-studded群星荟萃。supposed rivalry:所谓的竞争。 -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 14:55:33

看来有时候是媒体制造出来的竞争。 -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 14:57:22

够坏,哪壶不开提哪壶 -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 15:00:03

不然媒体怎么吸引观众眼球 -妖妖灵- 给 妖妖灵 发送悄悄话 妖妖灵 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 15:11:12

好多不认识的词语。边看八卦,边学英语。Thanks for sharing -天边一片白云- 给 天边一片白云 发送悄悄话 天边一片白云 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 17:37:23

“Pit the pair against one another”, “get booted” -甜虫虫- 给 甜虫虫 发送悄悄话 甜虫虫 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 21:50:14

Fun to learn this way:) -甜虫虫- 给 甜虫虫 发送悄悄话 甜虫虫 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/02/2023 postreply 21:51:00

Frankly pop artists know they've signed up for controversies -renqiulan- 给 renqiulan 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/03/2023 postreply 15:04:38

all genres of music not limited to pop -移花接木- 给 移花接木 发送悄悄话 移花接木 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/03/2023 postreply 15:06:23

我才知道惠妮特休士顿过世十年了。有本穿越小说中文书,齐可休写的“芝加哥1990”。里面提到很多Mariah Carey。 -jianchi9090- 给 jianchi9090 发送悄悄话 jianchi9090 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/06/2023 postreply 15:17:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”