I felt a Funeral, in my Brain (340) by EMILY DICKINSON 附上找到的分析

来源: 颤音 2016-08-30 12:50:01 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (18261 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 颤音 ] 在 2016-08-30 20:54:59 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain (340)

EMILY DICKINSON

I felt a Funeral, in my Brain, 

And Mourners to and fro

Kept treading - treading - till it seemed 

That Sense was breaking through - 

And when they all were seated, 

A Service, like a Drum -

Kept beating - beating - till I thought 

My mind was going numb - 

And then I heard them lift a Box

And creak across my Soul 

With those same Boots of Lead, again,

Then Space - began to toll,

As all the Heavens were a Bell, 

And Being, but an Ear, 

And I, and Silence, some strange Race, 

Wrecked, solitary, here -

And then a Plank in Reason, broke, 

And I dropped down, and down - 

And hit a World, at every plunge, 

And Finished knowing - then -

我触摸着葬礼, 在心中

我触摸着葬礼, 在心中,

哀悼的人来来往往

踏步-踏步-直到

变成真实的感伤-

当人们坐下,

悼念, 像哒哒的鼓-

击打-击打-直到

我的心麻木-

我听到人们抬起木棺

还有他们铅做的靴子

嘎吱嘎吱, 碾压过我的灵魂,

而天空-钟声响起,

天堂该是那鸣响的钟,

而众生, 只做倾听的耳朵,

而我, 和沉默, 做奇怪的伙伴, 

在这儿, 孤独, 颠簸-

跟着理性的木板, 裂开,

我下坠, 下坠- 

每一次跌落, 都撞到一层世界,  

不再有感知-跟随-

Analysis by Lilia Melani

"I felt a funeral in my brain" traces the speaker's descent into madness. It is a terrifying poem for both the speaker and the reader. The speaker experiences the loss of self in the chaos of the unconscious, and the reader experiences the speaker's descending madness and the horror most of us feel about going crazy.

Dickinson uses the metaphor of a funeral to represent the speaker's sense that a part of her is dying, that is, her reason is being overwhelmed by the irrationality of the unconscious. A funeral is an appropriate image for this ordeal. The most obvious connotation with a funeral is death. Also a funeral is a formal event, whose rules and procedures suggest control and order. The control and order implicit in a funeral contrast ironically with the lack of control and the loss of rationality that threaten the speaker. In addition, a funeral marks the passage from one state to another (life to death), a parallel to the speaker's passing from one stage to another (sanity to insanity). However, the poet is not observing the funeral but is feeling it. She is both observer of the funeral and participant, indicating that the Self is divided. By the end of the poem, the Self will have shattered into pieces or chaos.

The mourners are a metaphor to express her pain. Their treading (note the repetition of the word, which gives emphasis and suggests the action) indicates a pressure that is pushing her down. The speaker has a momentary impression that reason ("sense") is escaping or being lost. The pressure of the treading is reasserted with the repetition, "beating, beating." This time her mind, the source of reasoning, goes "numb," a further deterioration in her condition.

You can trace the process of the speaker's loss of rationality in stanzas three and four. The last two lines of stanza four assess her condition; she sees herself as "wrecked, solitary." Her descent into irrationality separates her from other human beings, making her a member of "some strange race." Her alienation and inability to communicate are indicated by her being enveloped by silence.

In the last stanza, the one I have added here, Dicksinson uses the metaphor of standing on a plank or board over a precipice, to describe the speaker's descent into irrationality. In other words, her hold on rationality was insecure, just as standing on a plan would feel insecure. She falls past "worlds," which may stand for her past; in any case, she is losing her connections to reality. Her descent is described as "plunges," suggesting the speed and force of her fall into psychological chaos ("got through knowing"). The last word of the poem, "then--," does not finish or end her experience but leaves opens the door for the nightmare-horror of madness.

所有跟帖: 

英汉同时学。thank you. -youdecide- 给 youdecide 发送悄悄话 youdecide 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/31/2016 postreply 19:42:53

谢谢 youdecide ! -颤音- 给 颤音 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/01/2016 postreply 13:29:47

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”