This is what I had posted in another forum a month ago.

来源: hammerheadshark 2013-05-19 08:23:10 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2642 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ hammerheadshark ] 在 2013-05-19 11:16:33 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

I have a confession to make. I like to see bickering. Bickering, or fight in some more serious cases, is fun. Bickering is good. Ego is good. No? I think they are excellent motivators.

What happened in Rolia got me to think and I had it all figured out – benchmarking. We are all immigrants, and sadly, all have spent 20 even 30 years in learning English. We need a confirmation on this dedication to English learning and also take some comfort in thinking that those years are not wasted. But one question on everyone’s mind is: how good are we? Native speakers don’t bother to give us this information, so we have to benchmark against each other among ourselves, and that is where the trouble comes from.

Then I had a better idea.

I went to the Graigslist.com and found what I was looking for – a private tutor. The ad says : “Fix your accent. Native speaker. Give me three of your audio clips and 20 dollars and you will benefit for life.”

I was cheap and couldn't resist the temptation. I wired the guy 20 dollars, along with three reading clips of one of my favourite books. I gave it my best shot and it almost cost me whole day until my throat was sore and I nearly fell in love with my own voice. I attached files and hit “send” button. I was very happy, content and felt reasonably accomplished.

Shortly, an email came back. There were only two words: you suck.

Okay, this guy was good, I thought. I emailed back asking for more details and suggestions on how to improve my spoken English.

Shortly, an email came back. Still two words: you suck.

I was a little angry now. I wrote back saying I was expecting more because I paid 20 dollars.

Shortly, an email came back. This time, five words: that is why you suck.

I can’t say this is the first time that I have been duped, but what makes it so humiliating is that he makes it so easy. This idiot has underestimated me and he has no idea what he had done and the consequence that comes with it. He has no idea what will happen when he pisses off a Chinese.

I did one thing that all Chinese knew how to do – I went into the business myself. So, I registered a new email account, set up a money transfer method and put up an ad on the Graiglist.com and, voila, I was officially in business. My ad said: “Fix your accent. Native speaker. Give me three of your audio clips and you will benefit for life. For only 10 dollars!”

所有跟帖: 

LOL. "I nearly fell in love with my own voice." -冲浪潜水员- 给 冲浪潜水员 发送悄悄话 冲浪潜水员 的博客首页 (90 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 09:06:37

A website I occasionally visit,rolia.net -hammerheadshark- 给 hammerheadshark 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 18:53:08

Of course I am not serious. -hammerheadshark- 给 hammerheadshark 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 19:07:00

happy to see you have a break of diving. You are funny plus "suc -rockcurrent- 给 rockcurrent 发送悄悄话 rockcurrent 的博客首页 (24 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 11:12:56

Thanks for sharing! -Lucidus- 给 Lucidus 发送悄悄话 Lucidus 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 11:16:44

There are all kinds of crooks on Craigslist -bmdn- 给 bmdn 发送悄悄话 (338 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 16:51:26

Thank you all for reading the joke. -hammerheadshark- 给 hammerheadshark 发送悄悄话 (181 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 19:02:43

LOL. Really love to read your article!!! -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (92 bytes) () 05/19/2013 postreply 21:02:03

God, your posts are always so therapeutic! -hammerheadshark- 给 hammerheadshark 发送悄悄话 (39 bytes) () 05/20/2013 postreply 06:40:37

lol! Wish your auto-reply message were "Nice!" -ntotl- 给 ntotl 发送悄悄话 ntotl 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/20/2013 postreply 14:22:35

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”