Katie Couric 2012 Commencement, 第五部分

来源: 2msmom 2012-09-17 14:26:22 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2442 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 2msmom ] 在 2012-09-19 13:18:21 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Original Video - More videos at TinyPic

欢迎大家批评指正.

In my book “The Best Advice I Ever Got,” which is a collection of essays by some of the world’s most successful people, one of my all-time favorite authors, Anna Quindlen, wrote: "Carry your courage in an easily accessible place, the way you do your cellphone or your wallet. Courage is the ultimate career move.”

Some may call it courage. Others call it chutzpah. My late father who was such an inspiration to me and one of my personal heroes called it moxie. Whatever you call it, it's the ability to leap before you look, to know you MAY be better sorry than safe....and to go for it, with no guarantees.

As T.S. Eliot wrote, “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.”

If I'd never given it the old college try, I wouldn’t be here speaking at my alma mater's commencement.

My career began back in 1979. That was the year of the Rod Stewart's “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy?” And Gloria Gaynor's disco anthem, "I will Survive."

I think my personal soundtrack is much more the latter than the former.

I knew I wanted a job in TV news, and after suffering one rejection after another I decided to be proactive. I donned my best “dress for success” outfit, which back then basically meant you looked like a flight attendant.

My mother gave me a ride in our cream-colored Buick station wagon from our house in Arlington, Virginia to the ABC Bureau in Washington, D.C.

When I got there, I asked an imposing and intimidating security guard if I could see Kevin Delaney, the deputy bureau chief in charge of hiring new employees. After he stopped laughing, I asked him if I could make a phone call from the lobby. So I called Davey Newman, who is the executive producer of World News Tonight.

Here’s how it went: “Hello, Davey? You don’t know me but your twin brothers, Steve and Eddie, went to high school with my sister Kiki and I live down the street from your cousin Julie. Can I come up and say hello?”

Cut to me, in the ABC newsroom, being personally delivered to Kevin Delaney’s door. Better yet, cut to me with my first job in television.

所有跟帖: 

call it --> cal-lit -北京二号- 给 北京二号 发送悄悄话 北京二号 的博客首页 (99 bytes) () 09/17/2012 postreply 14:30:50

Thank you! Always like constructive feedbacks! -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (145 bytes) () 09/17/2012 postreply 15:03:18

wrote的/r/听着还可以发得再好一点儿 -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (93 bytes) () 09/17/2012 postreply 21:11:49

Thanks Wenqing! Go back and practice now. -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/18/2012 postreply 21:02:05

谢朗读,原来Katie就是这样得到她的第一份工作呀,佩服她的胆量勇气和机智。 -珈玥- 给 珈玥 发送悄悄话 珈玥 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/18/2012 postreply 07:09:14

yea, it is very interesting to know. It is encouraging and inspi -2msmom- 给 2msmom 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/18/2012 postreply 21:06:05

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”