五百基础词汇的使用和练习(35)

来源: EnLearner 2012-05-27 20:10:47 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2812 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ EnLearner ] 在 2012-05-28 07:49:34 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

"Thou weigh'st thy words before thou givest them breath."
Shakespeare, Othello

Words to Learn This Week

vague
elevate
lottery
finance
obtain
cinema
event
discard
soar
subsequent
relate
stationary

Read the following story to see how the new words are used in it.

Summer Travel

If you are tired of making vague excuses for another dull summer at home, here is a thought to elevate your spirits. You do not need anything so radical as winning a lottery to finance a trip to Europe. A student identity card that can be obtained for a few dollars from the Council on International Educational Exchange entitles you to discount tickets on certain charter flights to London and Paris, as well as reduced admission to many museums, cinemas, and musical events.

Once in Europe, you can stretch your budget by staying at approved youth hostels for about two dollars a night. So don't discard your hopes of becoming an international traveler. Soon you can be soaring into the skies or skimming over the waves to new adventures that you will subsequently relate to your stationary friends.

Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.

01. Our club consented to hold a _________ as a means of raising money.

02. If you want to ________ data on employment opportunities, a good source is the Bulletin of the Department of Labor.

03. Some call it a _________ but I call it a movie.

04. Our team excelled in the last _________ of the track meet.

05. As I watched the huge jet __________ into the sky, I wished that I were on board.

06. Since Margaret has become his neighbor, Bud's progress in school has been practically __________ .

07. ________ to his phone call, I received a confirmation in the mail.

08. We are compelled to _________ this outdated theory.

09. How does that evidence _________ to the case?

10. Tim's argument may be logical but it is too _________ to be convincing.

11. With no one to ________ the project, the entire scheme collapsed.

12. This feeble speech will do little to _________ the spirits of the audience.

所有跟帖: 

Thanks! YuGong. -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 NewVoice 的博客首页 (4964 bytes) () 05/28/2012 postreply 12:48:51

Awesome! Thank you, NewVoice. -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/28/2012 postreply 20:46:31

Thanks YuGong! -同学小薇- 给 同学小薇 发送悄悄话 同学小薇 的博客首页 (2085 bytes) () 05/28/2012 postreply 15:36:21

Excellent! Thank you for your continued support! -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/28/2012 postreply 20:48:19

this is most helpful to me in learniong new vocabularies. Thanks -秒秒 - 给 秒秒  发送悄悄话 秒秒  的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/03/2012 postreply 04:34:29

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”