五百基础词汇的使用和练习(24)

来源: EnLearner 2012-03-11 20:35:28 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2794 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ EnLearner ] 在 2012-03-13 05:30:04 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

"Words are the physicans of a mind diseased."
Aeschylus, Prometheus Bound

Words to Learn This Week

fierce
detest
sneer
scowl
encourage
consider
vermin
wail
symbol
authority
neutral
trifle

Read the following story to see how the new words are used in it.

Punishment for Drug Abuse

A recent attempt by New Jersey's attorney general to lessen the penalties for use of marijuana has caused fierce arguments around the country. Those who detest the drug users sneer and scowl at the light treatment of offenders. They reject the attorney general's recommendation as lacking a morsel of sense, claiming it would only encourage more drug abuse. They consider the drug addict much like vermin that must be stamped out. Such citizens continually wail for stiffer penalties. Those in favor of a milder approach to the drug problem point to the poor results achieved by prison terms. They feel addicts should be given medical help. Also, in enforcing harsh drug laws, police tend to be viewed as a symbol of unwelcome authority. The problem demands a solution. We cannot remain neutral or unconcerned, nor can we afford to muddle through with ineffective measure, for this is not a trifling matter.

Place one of the new words in each of the blanks below.

01. I have it on the highest ___________ that the lead in the play has been chosen.

02. I am going to ___________ my brother to become a lawyer.

03. Uncle Sam is the well-known ____________ of the United States.

04. We pay $5 a month to keep our house free from ____________ .

05. When a country is ___________ , it does not want 10 get involved in foreign conflict.

06. What type of art work do you ___________ to be beautiful?

07. The lion clawed at the visitors to the zoo.

08. To hear the ___________ of a person in sorrow is to hear a dismal sound.

09. Only a ___________ of Ivan's fortune was left to his human beneficiaries; most of the money was iven to his cats.

10. I __________ people who are jealous of my success.

11. The unpleasant salesgirl always had a ___________ on her face.

12. My father warned me not to __________ at our poor relatives.

所有跟帖: 

支持一下。我是典型的做任何事情都不能持之以恒的人。:) -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 beautifulwind 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/11/2012 postreply 22:33:50

多谢支持。嗯,领教了 :-) -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (141 bytes) () 03/12/2012 postreply 20:46:29

Thanks YuGong...learned several new words in this session -同学小薇- 给 同学小薇 发送悄悄话 同学小薇 的博客首页 (1122 bytes) () 03/12/2012 postreply 11:14:38

Great. You got all the correct answers! -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/12/2012 postreply 20:52:40

Thanks! I like the exercise! -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 NewVoice 的博客首页 (1101 bytes) () 03/12/2012 postreply 14:05:24

Glad to see you again! -EnLearner- 给 EnLearner 发送悄悄话 EnLearner 的博客首页 (111 bytes) () 03/12/2012 postreply 20:56:18

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”