人之患在好为人师

来源: carpediem 2011-07-06 10:13:18 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (5313 bytes)

I am in no position to share experience or give advice. To be honest, my boss frowns at my English from time to time. At home, I get teased about my Mandarin – my wife enjoys making fun of my incapability to distinguish the sound ‘n’ from ‘l’. What a wretched life for a non-native speaker to both languages! 

Probably the only thing I can say is that I read more than average people. In the first half year of 2011, I’ve finished more than 6 English books. 

To compensate my slow reading speed, I love audio books. Through the free audiobook app on iPhone, I have downloaded a few classic novels. Right now, I listen to Jane Eyre during lunch break. I also have some classic essays in the iBook library, from Tagore, Francis Bacon to Ralph Emerson.

At every weekend, I spend hours in public library skimming through some magazines, such as Economist, Business week, Time, GQ, and National Geographic.

If I am pressed to recommend some books, I would say Mitch Albom’s, and Ha Jin’s books are must-read. Mitch Albom delivers powerful messages with simple words, and excellent story-telling skills. Beginners can learn a lot from him. Ha Jin is an acclaimed Chinese-American writer. He has been compared to Balzac and Dickens. I enjoyed one of his novels -- A Free Life. It’s about the journey of a new Chinese immigrant in US. I believe many of us can see our own experience in this book. BTW, Ha Jin graduated from Shangdong University.

If I can offer one more uninvited advice to you, I would say don’t spend too much time in the forum. You can learn better if you spend the same amount of time reading those real masters or professional journalists (oops, there goes my popularity). In my defense, we just saw a person capitalized on people’s perception about his birth certificate, and ran around offering advice. My take on the issue is not about authenticity of his identity. It’s more about integrity. If I did some creative copy-and-paste work, I would admit it. Moreover, I would not gloss over on the questions about my grammar as if those questions were way beneath me... Anyway, good lucks to your study! 

所有跟帖: 

Thanks a million! -非文学青年- 给 非文学青年 发送悄悄话 非文学青年 的博客首页 (433 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 11:27:00

一看名字就不简单:Carpe diem - seize the day: -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 (503 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 13:03:52

谢谢,newvoice,学了这个词。 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 13:12:56

Lovely breeze, -NewVoice- 给 NewVoice 发送悄悄话 (264 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 13:21:53

谢谢newvoice推荐,I just found it on Youtube -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 (425 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 13:36:25

Oh, that's a beautiful misunderstanding! -carpediem- 给 carpediem 发送悄悄话 carpediem 的博客首页 (97 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 15:03:41

谢谢carpediem分享学英语经验。 -beautifulwind- 给 beautifulwind 发送悄悄话 (39 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 13:11:36

好贴!我已经去图书馆订了A FREE LIFE。有问题请教哈: -cha-cha- 给 cha-cha 发送悄悄话 cha-cha 的博客首页 (303 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 14:03:06

Ha Jin rocks -carpediem- 给 carpediem 发送悄悄话 carpediem 的博客首页 (452 bytes) () 07/06/2011 postreply 15:01:20

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”