推荐一本特滑稽的书: 三人乘舟记(更别提那狗啦)

来源: LiYouCai 2007-07-11 14:28:59 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (22451 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ LiYouCai ] 在 2007-07-15 05:11:53 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

才哥认为,除非你必须应付决定命运的考试,学语言应是很快乐的活动。

活动有好多,听歌是一个。你最好跟着唱,这样,不但练了耳朵,还有嘴巴。弄不好整个小型歌星出来。当然,要是你的嗓子跟才哥的媲美,那您最好饶了大家声小点儿。

再一个是看有趣的故事,包括小说。才哥更好这项,因吓不着别人。

才哥喜欢的一本,是 Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the dog ) (中译‘三人同舟记’)。

最先听此书是学英国人为外国人编的Essential English(共四册)时,里面的Uncle Podger往墙上订钉子挂画的故事(须一大堆人伺候),就该编自此书。

还有一本老教材English for Today也取了本书的一个篇章-- 主人公读药典,发现自己患有里面的种种病症,最后看医生,得到的药方是:

- 1 lb. beefsteak, with
- 1 pt. bitter beer every 6 hours.
- 1 ten-mile walk every morning.
- 1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
- And don't stuff up your head with things you don't understand.

可见本书的语言作教材没问题。关键是倍幽默。才哥我是一路乐着读完的。那段儿时间,才嫂要我去看心理医生,觉得才哥我异常。你们都知道,才哥我平常道貌岸然,不苟言笑。

这本书最初是作为一本旅游景点介绍手册来写的,描绘沿Thames河自Kingston到牛津一段儿的风土历史人情。可作者
Jerome K. Jerome写着写着就离了谱,成了滑稽小说了。虽写于1889,可里面的笑料现在读来依然新鲜。许多插图也很好看。

好啦,才哥我也不跟你瞎罗嗦啦,看几段儿,你就会知道才哥我没唬你而是怎样诚实一个人啦!

网址在 http://www.forgottenfutures.com/game/boat/boat.htm

THREE MEN IN A BOAT
(TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG)

Jerome K. Jerome

THERE were four of us - George, and William Samuel Harris, and myself, and Montmorency. We were sitting in my room, smoking, and talking about how bad we were - bad from a medical point of view I mean, of course.

We were all feeling seedy, and we were getting quite nervous about it. Harris said he felt such extraordinary fits of giddiness come over him at times, that he hardly knew what he was doing; and then George said that he had fits of giddiness too, and hardly knew what he was doing. With me, it was my liver that was out of order. I knew it was my liver that was out of order, because I had just been reading a patent liver-pill circular, in which were detailed the various symptoms by which a man could tell when his liver was out of order. I had them all.

It is a most extraordinary thing, but I never read a patent medicine advertisement without being impelled to the conclusion that I am suffering from the particular disease therein dealt with in its most virulent form. The diagnosis seems in every case to correspond exactly with all the sensations that I have ever felt.

I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch - hay fever, I fancy it was. I got down the book, and read all I came to read; and then, in an unthinking moment, I idly turned the leaves, and began to indolently study diseases, generally. I forget which was the first distemper I plunged into - some fearful, devastating scourge, I know - and, before I had glanced half down the list of "premonitory symptoms," it was borne in upon me that I had fairly got it.

I sat for awhile, frozen with horror; and then, in the listlessness of despair, I again turned over the pages. I came to typhoid fever - read the symptoms - discovered that I had typhoid fever, must have had it for months without knowing it - wondered what else I had got; turned up St. Vitus's Dance - found, as I expected, that I had that too, - began to get interested in my case, and determined to sift it to the bottom, and so started alphabetically - read up ague, and learnt that I was sickening for it, and that the acute stage would commence in about another fortnight. Bright's disease, I was relieved to find, I had only in a modified form, and, so far as that was concerned, I might live for years. Cholera I had, with severe complications; and diphtheria I seemed to have been born with. I plodded conscientiously through the twenty-six letters, and the only malady I could conclude I had not got was housemaid's knee.

I felt rather hurt about this at first; it seemed somehow to be a sort of slight. Why hadn't I got housemaid's knee? Why this invidious reservation? After a while, however, less grasping feelings prevailed. I reflected that I had every other known malady in the pharmacology, and I grew less selfish, and determined to do without housemaid's knee. Gout, in its most malignant stage, it would appear, had seized me without my being aware of it; and zymosis I had evidently been suffering with from boyhood. There were no more diseases after zymosis, so I concluded there was nothing else the matter with me.

I sat and pondered. I thought what an interesting case I must be from a medical point of view, what an acquisition I should be to a class! Students would have no need to "walk the hospitals," if they had me. I was a hospital in myself. All they need do would be to walk round me, and, after that, take their diploma.

Then I wondered how long I had to live. I tried to examine myself. I felt my pulse. I could not at first feel any pulse at all. Then, all of a sudden, it seemed to start off. I pulled out my watch and timed it. I made it a hundred and forty-seven to the minute. I tried to feel my heart. I could not feel my heart. It had stopped beating. I have since been induced to come to the opinion that it must have been there all the time, and must have been beating, but I cannot account for it. I patted myself all over my front, from what I call my waist up to my head, and I went a bit round each side, and a little way up the back. But I could not feel or hear anything. I tried to look at my tongue. I stuck it out as far as ever it would go, and I shut one eye, and tried to examine it with the other. I could only see the tip, and the only thing that I could gain from that was to feel more certain than before that I had scarlet fever.

I had walked into that reading-room a happy, healthy man. I crawled out a decrepit wreck.

I went to my medical man. He is an old chum of mine, and feels my pulse, and looks at my tongue, and talks about the weather, all for nothing, when I fancy I'm ill; so I thought I would do him a good turn by going to him now. "What a doctor wants," I said, "is practice. He shall have me. He will get more practice out of me than out of seventeen hundred of your ordinary, commonplace patients, with only one or two diseases each." So I went straight up and saw him, and he said:

"Well, what's the matter with you?"

I said:
   "I will not take up your time, dear boy, with telling you what is the matter with me. Life is brief, and you might pass away before I had finished. But I will tell you what is not the matter with me. I have not got housemaid's knee. Why I have not got housemaid's knee, I cannot tell you; but the fact remains that I have not got it. Everything else, however, I have got."

And I told him how I came to discover it all.

Then he opened me and looked down me, and clutched hold of my wrist, and then he hit me over the chest when I wasn't expecting it - a cowardly thing to do, I call it - and immediately afterwards butted me with the side of his head. After that, he sat down and wrote out a preion, and folded it up and gave it me, and I put it in my pocket and went out.

I did not open it. I took it to the nearest chemist's, and handed it in. The man read it, and then handed it back.

He said he didn't keep it.

I said:
   "You are a chemist?"

He said:
   "I am a chemist. If I was a co-operative stores and family hotel combined, I might be able to oblige you. Being only a chemist hampers me."

I read the preion. It ran:

"1 lb. beefsteak, with
1 pt. bitter beer
                  every 6 hours.
1 ten-mile walk every morning.
1 bed at 11 sharp every night.

And don't stuff up your head with things you don't understand."

I followed the directions, with the happy result - speaking for myself - that my life was preserved, and is still going on.

In the present instance, going back to the liver-pill circular, I had the symptoms, beyond all mistake, the chief among them being "a general disinclination to work of any kind."

What I suffer in that way no tongue can tell. From my earliest infancy I have been a martyr to it. As a boy, the disease hardly ever left me for a day. They did not know, then, that it was my liver. Medical science was in a far less advanced state than now, and they used to put it down to laziness.

"Why, you skulking little devil, you," they would say, "get up and do something for your living, can't you?" - not knowing, of course, that I was ill.

And they didn't give me pills; they gave me clumps on the side of the head. And, strange as it may appear, those clumps on the head often cured me - for the time being. I have known one clump on the head have more effect upon my liver, and make me feel more anxious to go straight away then and there, and do what was wanted to be done, without further loss of time, than a whole box of pills does now.

You know, it often is so - those simple, old-fashioned remedies are sometimes more efficacious than all the dispensary stuff.

We sat there for half-an-hour, describing to each other our maladies. I explained to George and William Harris how I felt when I got up in the morning, and William Harris told us how he felt when he went to bed; and George stood on the hearth-rug, and gave us a clever and powerful piece of acting, illustrative of how he felt in the night.

胃如何重要

How good one feels when one is full - how satisfied with ourselves and with the world! People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite as well, and is cheaper, and more easily obtained. One feels so forgiving and generous after a substantial and well-digested meal - so noble-minded, so kindly-hearted.

It is very strange, this domination of our intellect by our digestive organs. We cannot work, we cannot think, unless our stomach wills so. It dictates to us our emotions, our passions. After eggs and bacon, it says, "Work!" After beefsteak and porter, it says, "Sleep!" After a cup of tea (two spoonsful for each cup, and don't let it stand more than three minutes), it says to the brain, "Now, rise, and show your strength. Be eloquent, and deep, and tender; see, with a clear eye, into Nature and into life; spread your white wings of quivering thought, and soar, a god-like spirit, over the whirling world beneath you, up through long lanes of flaming stars to the gates of eternity!"

After hot muffins, it says, "Be dull and soulless, like a beast of the field - a brainless animal, with listless eye, unlit by any ray of fancy, or of hope, or fear, or love, or life." And after brandy, taken in sufficient quantity, it says, "Now, come, fool, grin and tumble, that your fellow-men may laugh - drivel in folly, and splutter in senseless sounds, and show what a helpless ninny is poor man whose wit and will are drowned, like kittens, side by side, in half an inch of alcohol."

We are but the veriest, sorriest slaves of our stomach. Reach not after morality and righteousness, my friends; watch vigilantly your stomach, and diet it with care and judgment. Then virtue and contentment will come and reign within your heart, unsought by any effort of your own; and you will be a good citizen, a loving hu*****and, and a tender father - a noble, pious man.

Before our supper, Harris and George and I were quarrelsome and snappy and ill-tempered; after our supper, we sat and beamed on one another, and we beamed upon the dog, too. We loved each other, we loved everybody. Harris, in moving about, trod on George's corn. Had this happened before supper, George would have expressed wishes and desires concerning Harris's fate in this world and the next that would have made a thoughtful man shudder.

Uncle Podger 挂画

So, on the following evening, we again assembled, to discuss and arrange our plans. Harris said:

"Now, the first thing to settle is what to take with us. Now, you get a bit of paper and write down, J., and you get the grocery catalogue, George, and somebody give me a bit of pencil, and then I'll make out a list."

That's Harris all over - so ready to take the burden of everything himself, and put it on the backs of other people.

He always reminds me of my poor Uncle Podger. You never saw such a commotion up and down a house, in all your life, as when my Uncle Podger undertook to do a job. A picture would have come home from the frame-maker's, and be standing in the dining-room, waiting to be put up; and Aunt Podger would ask what was to be done with it, and Uncle Podger would say:
   "Oh, you leave that to me. Don't you, any of you, worry yourselves about that. I'll do all that."

And then he would take off his coat, and begin. He would send the girl out for sixpen'orth of nails, and then one of the boys after her to tell her what size to get; and, from that, he would gradually work down, and start the whole house.

"Now you go and get me my hammer, Will," he would shout; "and you bring me the rule, Tom; and I shall want the step-ladder, and I had better have a kitchen-chair, too; and, Jim! you run round to Mr. Goggles, and tell him, `Pa's kind regards, and hopes his leg's better; and will he lend him his spirit-level?' And don't you go, Maria, because I shall want somebody to hold me the light; and when the girl comes back, she must go out again for a bit of picture-cord; and Tom! - where's Tom? - Tom, you come here; I shall want you to hand me up the picture."

And then he would lift up the picture, and drop it, and it would come out of the frame, and he would try to save the glass, and cut himself; and then he would spring round the room, looking for his handkerchief. He could not find his handkerchief, because it was in the pocket of the coat he had taken off, and he did not know where he had put the coat, and all the house had to leave off looking for his tools, and start looking for his coat; while he would dance round and hinder them.

"Doesn't anybody in the whole house know where my coat is? I never came across such a set in all my life - upon my word I didn't. Six of you! - and you can't find a coat that I put down not five minutes ago! Well, of all the - "

Then he'd get up, and find that he had been sitting on it, and would call out:
   "Oh, you can give it up! I've found it myself now. Might just as well ask the cat to find anything as expect you people to find it."

And, when half an hour had been spent in tying up his finger, and a new glass had been got, and the tools, and the ladder, and the chair, and the candle had been brought, he would have another go, the whole family, including the girl and the charwoman, standing round in a semi-circle, ready to help. Two people would have to hold the chair, and a third would help him up on it, and hold him there, and a fourth would hand him a nail, and a fifth would pass him up the hammer, and he would take hold of the nail, and drop it.

"There!" he would say, in an injured tone, "now the nail's gone."

And we would all have to go down on our knees and grovel for it, while he would stand on the chair, and grunt, and want to know if he was to be kept there all the evening.

The nail would be found at last, but by that time he would have lost the hammer.

"Where's the hammer? What did I do with the hammer? Great heavens! Seven of you, gaping round there, and you don't know what I did with the hammer!"

We would find the hammer for him, and then he would have lost sight of the mark he had made on the wall, where the nail was to go in, and each of us had to get up on the chair, beside him, and see if we could find it; and we would each discover it in a different place, and he would call us all fools, one after another, and tell us to get down. And he would take the rule, and re-measure, and find that he wanted half thirty-one and three-eighths inches from the corner, and would try to do it in his head, and go mad.

And we would all try to do it in our heads, and all arrive at different results, and sneer at one another. And in the general row, the original number would be forgotten, and Uncle Podger would have to measure it again.

He would use a bit of string this time, and at the critical moment, when the old fool was leaning over the chair at an angle of forty-five, and trying to reach a point three inches beyond what was possible for him to reach, the string would slip, and down he would slide on to the piano, a really fine musical effect being produced by the suddenness with which his head and body struck all the notes at the same time.

And Aunt Maria would say that she would not allow the children to stand round and hear such language.

At last, Uncle Podger would get the spot fixed again, and put the point of the nail on it with his left hand, and take the hammer in his right hand. And, with the first blow, he would smash his thumb, and drop the hammer, with a yell, on somebody's toes.

Aunt Maria would mildly observe that, next time Uncle Podger was going to hammer a nail into the wall, she hoped he'd let her know in time, so that she could make arrangements to go and spend a week with her mother while it was being done.

"Oh! you women, you make such a fuss over everything," Uncle Podger would reply, picking himself up. "Why, I like doing a little job of this sort."  

And then he would have another try, and, at the second blow, the nail would go clean through the plaster, and half the hammer after it, and Uncle Podger be precipitated against the wall with force nearly sufficient to flatten his nose.

Then we had to find the rule and the string again, and a new hole was made; and, about midnight, the picture would be up - very crooked and insecure, the wall for yards round looking as if it had been smoothed down with a rake, and everybody dead beat and wretched - except Uncle Podger.

"There you are," he would say, stepping heavily off the chair on to the charwoman's corns, and surveying the mess he had made with evident pride. "Why, some people would have had a man in to do a little thing like that!"

请阅读更多我的博客文章>>>
•  [心情随笔] 难受的一天
•  [心情随笔] 才哥订过‘读者文摘’
•  [美图美曲] 陪我度过漫漫长夜
•  [顶极名曲] 仙境般的夜晚 (Wonderland by Night)
•  为林妹妹的菜园子浇水 -- 消灭口音!

所有跟帖: 

谢谢LiYouCai幽默家推荐滑稽的书:。 -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 14:34:22

谢谢林妹妹的提拔。幽默家,hmm.... -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 15:32:27

I am stating the fact. -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:25:52

Have a nice evening, humorist Youcaiabel Lee. -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:26:22

有此title的殊荣,才哥可以放心地逝世啦! U've made my day! Thx. -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:35:25

Youcaiabel Lee, 你是将幽默进行到底。 -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:39:58

【Three Men in a Boat 】,"Laughter is the best medicine." -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 14:40:19

Agree. One smile makes you ten years younger, -RPV- 给 RPV 发送悄悄话 (38 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 14:44:48

I agree with you on agreement. -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 14:54:20

We all agree that we can agree & disagree. :))) -edrifter- 给 edrifter 发送悄悄话 edrifter 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:01:21

Pretty good dry humor, popular among the British. Yet, it seems -edrifter- 给 edrifter 发送悄悄话 edrifter 的博客首页 (199 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:00:13

谢谢电子飘零者兄的赞誉。才哥我相信你也已婚多年! -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:13:08

How did you come up with that? -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:27:12

才哥是从 match.com 来的? : ))) -edrifter- 给 edrifter 发送悄悄话 edrifter 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:48:30

Maybe he is a " fortune-teller?" -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:03:28

Ha, you can tell, too! It used to be my bread&butter in the good -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:18:30

Is that so? -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:38:26

是呀,e老弟,需才哥帮忙,请说话 :) -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:04:03

edrifter , what does "dry humor" mean? -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (90 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:28:45

Hello, Rebecca. There is really no unified definition for the te -edrifter- 给 edrifter 发送悄悄话 edrifter 的博客首页 (359 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:39:44

edrifter , ask you very much for telling me. -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (230 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:44:48

Okay! Better watch the whole thing. -edrifter- 给 edrifter 发送悄悄话 edrifter 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:47:04

Yeah, very funny one! -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (65 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 16:57:25

No wonder. You are a humorist. -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:05:32

Oops: thank you very much for telling me. -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 01:13:26

英语电影:【A Fish Called Wanda】 来源:edrifter -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (780 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:00:54

Yes, Rebecca. That’s the one. -edrifter- 给 edrifter 发送悄悄话 edrifter 的博客首页 (442 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:14:47

edrifter , I will rent it. Thanks again. -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 17:37:32

才哥我在贴几个图。 (没事儿我不累) -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (1059 bytes) () 07/11/2007 postreply 21:30:19

无论如何,财姐偶都得支持财小弟一把。 -地主婆!- 给 地主婆! 发送悄悄话 地主婆! 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 01:59:43

上班时间泡网,就为了支持财小弟。 (图) -地主婆!- 给 地主婆! 发送悄悄话 地主婆! 的博客首页 (85 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 02:03:17

谢! 财小妹的步伐总是那么沉稳而坚定! (你咋也擅自提拔自己个儿啦?) -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 10:42:37

这半夜鸡没叫,偶就爬上来支持财小弟,多铁粉啊。 (图) -地主婆!- 给 地主婆! 发送悄悄话 地主婆! 的博客首页 (106 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 12:53:39

咋像扒皮小妹呀! 代问周大哥好! -LiYouCai- 给 LiYouCai 发送悄悄话 LiYouCai 的博客首页 (17 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 15:20:02

财小弟晚上好~~ -地主婆!- 给 地主婆! 发送悄悄话 地主婆! 的博客首页 (20 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 18:24:29

有趣的图片,辛苦了,谢谢LiYouCai-。 -林贝卡- 给 林贝卡 发送悄悄话 林贝卡 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 03:19:15

不公平,神啊,你咋对财小弟介么好涅?不感相信偶的眼睛。 -地主婆!- 给 地主婆! 发送悄悄话 地主婆! 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 21:41:23

多些才哥介绍阿。 我还没有读过呢 -山水安妮- 给 山水安妮 发送悄悄话 山水安妮 的博客首页 (61 bytes) () 07/12/2007 postreply 22:42:32

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”