Is Artistic Talent Genetic? Reply to Beijing #2 and Xiaoqian

来源: 走马读人 2010-12-30 03:47:50 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (109132 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 走马读人 ] 在 2010-12-30 03:50:52 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Is Artistic Talent Genetic?

These ...some are at student level I think
76 Replies 
Snapshot_2008-05-29_12-10-38_max50

473 posts

Posted over 3 years ago

The post asking if you are the "only artist in the family":http://artbistro.monster.com/discussions/9-ask-an-artist/topics/55-are-you-the-only-visual-artist-in-the-family, sparked this related but different topic. Is artistic talent genetic? Does it run through our genes?

See my work and nativities @ valerieatkisson.com
and valeriedesign.com

LIKE my designs on Facebook

Profilepicaahh2_max50

1 post

+1

Rated: +1 | Posted over 3 years ago

What I think the case is that those with artistic parents tend to copy what they do. The children are exposed to that behavior and so they follow along with it. I think people who have artistic relatives in the family are more likely to become artists just because they see it more often than just in school. I grew up watching my mother paint flowers and animals on the walls when I was a little girl. I was inspired and intrigued by it. I kept on drawing and painting but my mom stopped. My second sister was born and saw me draw and she did the same, and when the third was born she copied my sister and I. And when the final sister came she did the same exact thing. My sisters and I still draw and love it. But I am the only one in the family that has a raging passion for fine arts and –must- create or else I feel empty; while the others have a passion for something else. Another portion of my family is really into music and has a strong talent for it. But I have no skill in it at all while my third sister is more of a musician than a painter or craftsman. There are a bountiful amount of dancers and singers in my family but none of my sisters or I have the talent or will to do such things. Our ancestors where writers too; we are basically a melting pot of artists, and I have noticed that those in our family that don’t draw tend to write, and those who can’t draw or write sing, and those that don’t do those dance, and then there are those who do all of that or a combination of it, and then there are the “weird” ones who have no interest in any of it. They are the ones who are interested in science, math or law, and there aren’t many. So perhaps it does come down to genetics. Usually anyone I know that are artists have another relative that was a talented artist as well. Ack, I am going around in circles. Hehe. Maybe it is a combination of both exposure and genetics.

1008071020_max50

26 posts

+1

In my family ,all 3 kids are artists.But are parents are not. My fathers family had 12 children.!..none of them are artistic and none of thier children and grandchildren are not. My mothers side doesnt have any artists either. My daughter which is 18 now,draws very well,and shows potential. My sisters son (22 years old )is starting to find that he has alot of talent also. So whatever it is..The "Talent" is very strong in just the kids in our family ,starting with us and is starting to show up in our kids , but showed no sign of itself anywhere before myself,my brother,and sister.....very strange.

Cats_max50

199 posts

+1

I am adopted and don't know where my talent came from but, it seems that my grandson has inherited the visual artists soul. My ex and I both were visual artists and my daughter claims she can't draw worth a darn. She is blessed with excellent writing skills. I guess talent will burst forth somehow.

"May the fragrance of roses cling to your hands." ~Toni

Dsc01675_max50

21 posts

+1

being an artist to me is all about having the confidence to share an emotion, a thought, a moment with others or no-one. Art can be images, words, notes, nature, as long as it's an expression. My father is a creative thinker, a chef, a house builder and he also draws. He is a retired police Capt. and a private dic. He never took an art class in his life and he grew up dirt poor in Il. my mom is also a creative thinker, she is the biggest dreamer I know. she also works in Law enforcement as a translator for the courts. Two jobs that are totally disassociated from the arts world, yet I consider them my inspiration for being an artist. My mom has 9 brothers and sisters. her brothers are all craftsmen: welders, carpenters, builders.
The fact that my parents encouraged me to EXPRESS my self through words and color and line is why I am a career artist. They support my choice. Do we ever really know how artistic our families really are? Especially when they grew up in poverty. I do not think it's genetic. maybe some aspect of wanting to be an open and vulnerable book to the world is genetic but everything else we learn. After teaching children for so long, i have come to realize that it takes a very Brave human to want to share an art work with the world and that most kids can learn the skills to be an artist. the ones that didn't learn were usually the ones distracted with hectic violent lives, and even those children wanted to express themselves, but were to worried about their image, already!
Actually i think it would suck if it's genetics...what if a kid really wanted to be an artist but didn't get the genes to give him the skills....too bad kid, try another progression....I can't live with that.

Photo_user_blank_big

3 posts

Rate

Rate This | Posted over 3 years ago

valerie said:

The post asking if you are the "only artist in the family":http://artbistro.monster.com/discussions/9-ask-an-artist/topics/55-are-you-the-only-visual-artist-in-the-family, sparked this related but different topic. Is artistic talent genetic? Does it run through our genes?

This is a very thought provoking question and perhaps I come to it from a different perspective because of what I have experienced and seen Pierre experience as he continually deals with this situation.

As an artist he would like people to buy his works because of their own merit and not because of a signature. For most of his life he painted under a childhood nickname, bearing scars from the family politics.

Pierre is either the grandson of Henri Matisse or the step-grandson of Henri Matisse depending on who in the family you talk to. They are long on talk and short on DNA.

Long story short - Pierre knows Jean Matisse is his father. However if genes play a pivotal role in artistic ability than everything hinges on the gene pool. If not than having grown up in that family of artists including not just his grandfather but his father and mother as well, than he learned by imersion in the world of art and exposure to many artists rather than the gene pool.

Pierre's grandfather taught him color after his mother tired of trying. He avoided any composition that reverted to anything close to his grandfather's art for years and painted under another name. Walking away from the family in his early 20's.

As he approached 70 he realized what he owed his parents and grandfather and wanted to recognize them for the gift they had given him through their artistic and parental influence as artists. It was only after he took back his family name signing his art Pierre H. Matisse that his art began to change drastically. He felt released to be who he was and he finally found his voice artistically. He quit worrying about if his line looked like a Matisse or his color was reminiscent of a Picasso or how much DeVlaminck had influenced his knife stroke.
Instead he looked inward and began to create for creation's sake abandoning all critique along those lines.
Is it in the genes or just by the influence of association... probably both. Pierre has grandchildren whose lives he was not a part of until after they were adults and one is an architect, one an art teacher, and one a graphic design art director.
I think talent plays a roll and may or may not be in the genes but it certainly seems to run generation after generation once it exhibits itself.

Also this may lend itself to creativity in general look at business entrepeneurs as one prime example.

However it should be readily noted that perhaps the gene pool does exist based on the preponderance of those in a family that exhibit no ability in the same or related disciplines.

Jhbarts_max50

311 posts

+1

One thing that makes the question hard is that art hasn't always meant the same thing.

Photo_user_blank_big

1 post

Rate

i like de comments of gooberita
...makes sense to me.....
Art is a choice...more than genetic...
N yea...to excel in it...you do need to ve de rite attitute and sensibility...
esp d artistic sensitivity...
n d courage to let urself loose n d vulnerability to expose urself to d world...
d belief in self.

Clare_close_up_max50

8 posts

Rate

I think that what we see in our families shows us options. I grew up around art and theater, so I see working with them as an option.

Social work is a profound and regular part of my father's side of the family. My mother's side is full of the arts. I am a social worker who created an arts organization that does a lot of socially oriented work.

Salmon_max50

31 posts

Rate

Tough question to answer clearly.

I think some people are born with talent, for sure. I think "real genius" needs that extra boost of genetics to change the world. Some people have a natural propensity towards math, I don't, and I never will be a genius in that field, but I can sure put in some hard work and learn the ins and outs of formula's and theorem's...

No one "just makes it", I dont think there is anyone who just looks at a piano when they are 4 years old and instantly knows how to play it with all the skill and passion of Mozart.... usually when someone comes "outta nowhere" there has been 5, 10, 20, 30 years of preparation and sweat.

So yeah, talent is genetic in a way, but the hard work to become a real professional, a real success, that is not entirely genetic, that is learned, its hard work and passion that makes us a success. I think when all is said and done, Hard Work/passion is more important than Genetics.

Michael Jordan was one of the greatest basketball player's, he was left off the his high school team cause he wasn't tall enough... here are some quotes as to why he was successful...

“I've always believed that if you put in the work, the results will come. I don't do things half-heartedly. Because I know if I do, then I can expect half-hearted results.”

“Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.”

Greg_max50

8 posts

Rate

I think genetics do produce the talents. My family has a history of artisit people from glass makers to painter. The spark that egnites the artistic side of the talent I am not sure.

Photo_user_blank_big

1 post

Rate

I don't believe that talent is necessarily genetic. I think any art can be learned given practice, exposure, guidance and health. I think the real question of talent is the willingness to think about the world and comment upon it. The real breakthroughs from talented artists has always been taking an existing concept or form and reacting to it. So I would posit that talent has its seeds in being encouraged to question the world around you, planted in the soil of learning, nurtured with patience and practice, and finally blossoming through the communication of your own original thoughts. In short, it's not inherited.

Robin_at_the_opening_max50

3 posts

Rate

Everything is genetic!

Port_3_max50

6 posts

Rate

I'm not sure that artistic talent is genetic. What may be related to our genes is the artists ability to think differently... to explore the world from a different vantage point. Given this inclination, environmental support becomes a factor, with family support and encouragement playing a big part in artistic development.

Also, I do not think the educational system has any positive effect... if anything the effect is a negative one! Grade and high school seems to diminish the creative impulse rather than encourage it.

In my case, I have been an advertising photographer and graphic designer for the last 35 years. My grandparents who raised me were mill workers with third grade educations. However they encouraged me to follow my soul and to think differently. My wife studied art in college, but never pursued it as a career. Our son was encouraged from an early age to use his creative gifts and develop his talents. He is now a computer animator in NY!

I recently learned about my father's family after years of trying to learn about their lives. One of my father's brothers was a concert pianist! My father's uncle was White House photographer for Harry Truman! Maybe there is a genetic predisposition that controls our thought processes, and we find art to be a way to use that to exprress our feelings.

Photo_max50

3 posts

Rate

I agree to NEEHA's opinion.
And in my vision, creativity is not a gift from the god, It is the product of preparation and effort, and it's within reach of everyone who wants to achieve it. All it takes is the willingness to make creativity a habit, an integral part of our life: In order to be creative, we have to know how to prepare to be creative. Whatever creative impulses you follow -- whether you are a painter, composer, writer, director, choreographer, or, for that matter, a businessperson working on a deal, a chef developing a new dish, a mother wanting her child to see the world anew. According to me, sustained creativity begins with rituals, self-knowledge, harnessing our memories, and organizing our materials (so no insight is ever lost).

763_max50

6 posts

Rate

psychologists says that all peole born with talent. Society just help them to open themselfs. Sometime a child who can draw very well in his childhood after 20 years become a famous phizic and scientist. Talent - like a channel in a radio waves: if u are talented person u can do any job and be talented. U have to choose just a radio-channel u need for this activity.
Chaykovski - the Russian compozer said: no need to be a talented person, if u have only 1 % of talent - its enough, but another 99 % is hard work.

Photo_max50

3 posts

Rate

High artistic achievement by siblings is rare.

763_max50

6 posts

Rate

Rate This | Posted about 3 years ago

yusufumar_m said:

High artistic achievement by siblings is rare.

ya, i remember a quote, but not about siblings - about parents: "The nature has a rest when make children" so usually If parents were genius, their children often arent most famous and talanted.

Ryoga227_max50

2 posts

Rate

Hmmm...

Is the gift for creativity genetic? Although I beleive that many aptitudes can be traced to genes, I think that we are not limited to our genetics.

However I am far from the only artist in my family or my family line. If you are board do some research on the meaning of my last name and look up my cousin's website. His name is Kai Richter and it would take me too long to find the link but if you want it I can E-Mail it to you.

Best Regards,

Chris "Crazy" Wimble

Fallenangeliconresized_max50

5 posts

Rate

mmmmm...I don't really think so. I think those who are surrounded by it are more apt to become an artist. As in my family. My mother, father, grandmother, two of my cousins, and brother are all artists. My brother works for Wizard. My father did freelance sculptures, and one of my cousins is an author.

But, I was predisposed to it, so becoming one was almost an assured thing. My hu*****and on the other hand, had NO artistic people in his family. He became one on his own and through his own accord. It wasn't until he met me that he really found a love for it. I think it has more to do with personal drive and your personality. Some people like the idea of being an artist, but they just have no drive to keep going with it, persevere through the learning faze or aren't creative enough. (Although I also believe creativity can be exercised enough that any "non-creative" person can become an artistic genius.) I know, I take a lot of the fantasy out of being an artist. I don't believe you have a "gift", it's all learned. Anyone can do it. It's just whether or not, that they want to.

Brett2_max50

39 posts

Rate

I think a lot of it has to do with upbringing. If a kid makes a piece of artwork and is praised highly for it they are going to want to do even better to gain more praise. I actually hated art classes when I was a kid, I was into science and astrology. Funny how things work out :)

Shu_orkut_copy_max50

1 post

Rate

I think its a combination of both, but its a fact that the genes are in almost everyone. take an example of someone created an art piece and other one who really finds it actually and appreciate it. both has that viruses of being an artist. the difference is how our brain evolves. to me its most likely "have to be" inside someone, n a little workout could make the differnce. My 3 younger bros are in the field of CG art, one good in Character design n animation, other two in product modeling and architecture. on the other hand i although know 3D Max and Maya, but seldom try things myself, in me the form of art is like "Improvement", i like idea creation, editing and giving final touches to the work.

Red_max50

17 posts

Rate

I do think that it is a bit genetic, but not entirely. No one else in my family is an artist. My mom likes crafty things like cross-stitching and quilting and scrapbooking, but my dad is a nuclear engineer. He and I are opposite sides of the spectrum. But it does have to do with upbringing for sure. I had great teachers that got me really into art, and then my family was totally supportive. My dad even tries to understand it when I show him something I like or explain my work to him. I know that he doesn 't totally get it because he's the opposite side of the brain, but he tries and that's all I can ask for. But then, there was something inside of me that I believe is the genetic part that MADE me have to do art, even before some teachers.

005_max50

40 posts

Rate

I think it is a gene and EVERYONE has it. But, it takes someone or something to expose it. My wife, who has always said, "I can't draw a stickman!" was a fine example - with a little instruction and a short course on "seeing", she was successful in pencil sketching in a few days. Later she told me, "I didn't think I had it in me!" If you've never been snow skiing, you don't know how. But after a few hours on the mountain, eventually, you are skiing! :)

N69202185_32120983_627_max600_max50

18 posts

Rate

I am a first son, and I've been drawing since I was 6 years old. Albeit the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (what else is a kindergartener going to draw?). My grandma was a graphic designer for 30 years and was an avid painter, as was her father-in-law, who came over on the boat from Ireland. She taught me to paint when I was very very young. And then my Aunt Theresa on the other side of the family is an on-again-off-again installation artist, and her first marriage was to a Filipino artist. Her first biological child, Tosha, has majored in art, and my grandma made parallels between her and me. Now my little brother just said he's going to drop out of graphic design and pursue auto mechanics. So sadly, I do think it has a lot with being the first born, but there are many cases where that's not true. I guess it all depends on individual experience over time.

-8 posts

Rate

Rate This | Posted about 1 year ago

Do I smell gas...??? Seriously now, I don't know of any gene[s] specifically expressing for artistic talent or, for that matter, "human nature" as might be posited by a socio-biologist. But should it ever come to be known, likely it will be several actors affecting targeted allels and in a manner or arrangement statistically unique to the individual -- i.e not "passed down". 

(In the interest of full-disclosure I'm compelled to state I've family on the teaching faculty of three medical colleges who are currently active in genetic research, as well as maintaining a clinical practice geared to genetic counseling. )

-8 posts

+1

Rated: +1 | Posted about 1 year ago

jhaber31 says ...

One thing that makes the question hard is that art hasn't always meant the same thing.

Copy_of_irish_max50

2 posts

Rate

I know of someone who finds it very hard to live in a family of scientists because he wants to be a painter instead of working as a science research specialist. His family firmly believes that Art is just a hobby of the privileged, and not a real profession. He is then forced to take up a bachelor's degree in Physics (Education) because he thinks it's easier than becoming a full pledged scientist like his sisters and parents. He just can't understand where he got his artistic genes from because it doesn't seem to be evident in any member of his family.

Images-4_max160_max50

820 posts

Rate

more often than not , yes it is genetic to a point .

Indigena_max50

1363 posts

Rate

Both my parents had the artists bug in them but never did anything with it. My two sons, I would say, were born with the ability to draw but they don't want to follow those steps. I still remember the first time I held a brush in my hand and how my father taught me to use it. Some of my siblings are also artistic but they never did anything with their abilities.

Failure is a good teacher, but regret is a bitter taste to your soul.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a great day,

Patsy

Next Page >

所有跟帖: 

source -走马读人- 给 走马读人 发送悄悄话 走马读人 的博客首页 (80 bytes) () 12/30/2010 postreply 03:56:20

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”