a few more words on "Catcher"

来源: zhuc 2010-01-31 11:45:15 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (1508 bytes)
I think whether we like a book or not is a highly personal decision, but if a book has sold more than 65 million copies, that tells us something about the popularity of that book.

When I first read “Catcher,” I, too, was a little baffled by the “messed-up” mental state of the hero Caulfield. But as time went by, I started to understand a little bit why so many teenagers found the book fascinating. There seems to be a time in our adolescent time that we feel we don’t fit into this society, or we feel the whole adult world is against us. We want to vent our anger, yet we don’t have a specific target. Salinger caught that exact feeling and transformed it into an amazing book about a journey through the hellish New York City nights. Confused and furious though Caulfield is, he has enough tenderness for innocent kids like his baby sister and those playing in the rye field.

Caulfield is not a likable hero; actually, he is an antihero, and such characters appeared frequently in the later books by the “beat generation” authors. If you don’t like “Catcher,” you probably wouldn’t like “One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest” or “The Naked Lunch” either. Again, I regard it as a personal choice. However, these books have become some sort of modern classics.

As for the author himself, I really don’t know too much. His idiosyncrasies can be found in his daughter’s book and his ex-lover’s memoir. As for me, I highly respect the privacy of this reclusive man.

所有跟帖: 

thanks. i like your input. i love your English writing. when i r -戏雨飞鹰- 给 戏雨飞鹰 发送悄悄话 戏雨飞鹰 的博客首页 (402 bytes) () 01/31/2010 postreply 13:00:40

i want to share some of the best Salinger quotes with you as a t -戏雨飞鹰- 给 戏雨飞鹰 发送悄悄话 戏雨飞鹰 的博客首页 (1511 bytes) () 01/31/2010 postreply 13:08:25

Thanks! If you want to read more Salinger, I recommend "Nine Sto -zhuc- 给 zhuc 发送悄悄话 (356 bytes) () 01/31/2010 postreply 13:25:34

thanks, zhuc. i'll ask my daughter to read Nine Stories:) -戏雨飞鹰- 给 戏雨飞鹰 发送悄悄话 戏雨飞鹰 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 01/31/2010 postreply 14:06:44

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”