ZT--Might, May, and Can

来源: 好学又好问 2009-10-08 12:18:58 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1511 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 好学又好问 ] 在 2009-10-11 02:25:53 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
Most writers use may and might interchangeably:

I may go to the library to work on my term paper.

I might go to the library to work on my term paper.

Is there a difference? There is, but it’s slight. May suggests a possibility that an action will occur, while might suggests a slightly smaller possibility. So if I say that I may go to the library, there’s a reasonably good chance that it’s on my agenda. But if I say that I might go, the odds that I will aren’t quite as good.

The distinction between the two is sufficiently fine that it’s not something writers need to obsess about. However, when referring to something in the past, the rules get tighter. The past tense of may is might.

She might have left a message on my voice mail. (Not she may have)

From time to time, writers also struggle with the difference between may and can. The difference here is more pronounced. May expresses permission, while can expresses ability. Moms everywhere are notorious for emphasizing this particular grammatical difference.

Question: Mom, can I paint my bedroom walls black?

Answer: I’m sure you can, but you may not.

In informal speech (including dialogue in fiction), we have slipped into using can when may would be more appropriate. In truth, strict adherence to the difference between the two can seem a little prissy at times. Still, it’s a valid distinction that writers should strive to apply when it makes sense.

所有跟帖: 

让我想起来maybe这个词 -马奎- 给 马奎 发送悄悄话 马奎 的博客首页 (82 bytes) () 10/08/2009 postreply 13:45:44

我的看法是,把might剔除. 用might,会吓到人的! -suvescape- 给 suvescape 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/08/2009 postreply 16:31:32

谢谢分享! -娃娃女- 给 娃娃女 发送悄悄话 娃娃女 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/08/2009 postreply 21:51:23

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”