You need to take care of yourself and your family

来源: 轻轻河边草 2010-12-09 17:28:18 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3718 bytes)

There are so many people talking about how bad the States medical system is and how bad the doctors/nurses are. As a medical professional, I have worked in several big hospitals in big cities in China as well as here, I also visited many big hospitals and still have lots of friends who are in highest potisions back home.

What I know is that there are good/bad quality doctors/nurses in even the best hospitals no matter where you live. Doctors are people, not God, they make mistakes, that is why filing medical error is encouraged and there is no punishment. that is why the science is based on trial and error. everybody learns from mistakes.

What I am trying to say is that it is better for everyone of us to know a little bit of medical knowledge (medicine encourage empowering patients and families), with internet, it is not that difficult to find out what is happening to our body. Second, I always encourage people to look for second opinion if you are in doubt, if you have difficult to find somebody here, get some professionals in china, fax them the result, or email them your signs and symptoms, or download your film and email them (you can get the film CD for free). Third, stay calm and do not be panic, because where you are panicing, you cannot see things clearly, when you incounter unhappy moments alll the time, you would think that the whole world is turning to against you, that is not good.

I have some personal stories that I hope can help you.

1. I remember when my son was admitted to hospital, the young nurse could not put the IV in, he was poked several times, my mom complained to me that why  I did not get the head nurse to do it because I knew her so well, what I thought at that moment was that there was no need to use power, how was going to happen if it was some others who do not know them? Did I feel heartbreaken pain, yes, as a mom. but I am happy that I did not disturb the normal work.

2, I had hemorrhoid surgery and one abortion back home before, the pain was untolerable, there is no pain medicine. My aunt told me that she had one last month in a big hospital, there is still no pain control (she said she would tell everybody not matter how bad the hemorrhoid is, do not do the surgery). But I have the best control when I had surgery done here. I did not have a good inpression to the doctor and nurse after my tube ligation, but that will not destroy my impression to the whole medical system here.

3, you life is in your hand, control it well.

the first year when I was here, i was bitten by a bat, very bad. I went to emergency, the ER doctor checked my finger, went back, he came back in half an hour, told me that he was going to give me a tetunus shot, there is little risk of rabies infection. I came home, checked on internet, and discovered that there is very large chance of rabies infection bitten by bat, and once you are infected,  you have 0 chance to survive. so I went back to ER, the triage nurse sent me home, told me that the doctor would not see me again. so i called public health hotline, and they booked me at a clinic, and gave me the shot within 48hrs. Somebody may think I am over reacting, but if I did not, if the rabies infection happens once in a million and just happened to me, I would not stay here right now.

It is always be good to stay calm, to look for second, or third opinion. get some knowledge from internet, from professional friends you know. And very important, do not ignore your health problems either. Sometimes, somethings you keep ignoring all the times means something important is wrong. Better safe than sorry.

所有跟帖: 

it's said rabies should fly outside instead of inside at night. -轻轻河边草- 给 轻轻河边草 发送悄悄话 轻轻河边草 的博客首页 (103 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 17:45:27

thanks for the enlightening stories and advice. btw -blueiris2010- 给 blueiris2010 发送悄悄话 (220 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 18:22:24

Canada has free medical care, it is covered by ohip,it is taxpay -轻轻河边草- 给 轻轻河边草 发送悄悄话 轻轻河边草 的博客首页 (91 bytes) () 12/10/2010 postreply 04:57:50

非常喜欢你的贴。多谢你耐心给大家提供信息。 -viewfinder- 给 viewfinder 发送悄悄话 viewfinder 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/09/2010 postreply 20:41:39

好文! -闲情- 给 闲情 发送悄悄话 闲情 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/10/2010 postreply 09:49:08

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”