她一天没吃饭

来源: 轻轻河边草 2010-03-06 13:49:00 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3015 bytes)
A friend told me that when she went for a night shift in the hospital, a middle aged female Chinese patient asked her if she could eat, she said that she only ate couple of cookies and she was extremely hungry, she asked when and where she could order food, and if she could have something to eat now. So my friend told her that food in the hospital is free and she would order a sandwich for her right away.
I felt sad for the patient, and I will blame the nurse as well as the patient herself for not having the food. I understand that she cannot speak English, but when you feel something is wrong, use hands or postures, it is a universal language. Apparently the nurse got a Chinese interpreter to help doing physical assessment, ask her.
Many Chinese know how the fight for their right in Chinese community, but they lose themselves in western environment. We are as smart as or smarter than them; we work harder than them. Why cannot we fight for our right? I think that language is the biggest barrier, but our culture plays a big role too. Tolerance, silence and acceptance seem to be good that it becomes part of our daily acting image.
I had a unique experience the first year I came into Canada. I was bitten by a bat; and my finger was bleeding. My past life experience told me that bat may cause rabies and rabies can cause death, and I was frightened. So I went to emergency and after waiting 4-5 hours, a doctor came and he checked my finger and went out, he came back in an hour. He gave me tetanus shot and then told me that he checked on internet and found the chance of getting rabies was very low and I did not need to get rabies vaccine. So I told him that if I caught rabies infection by any chance, I would die. He to me not the worry, “chances are very low”, according to his knowledge.
So I went home, could not sleep, and I was on internet the whole night. All the articles said, vaccine should be given if anyone suspected rabies bite; the death rate is 100% once you started having symptoms. And the vaccine could not help you if you are bitten over 48 hours. It really frightens me, and I started calling my friends and parents in China, crying like a baby, at that moment I wish I were in China. I did not sleep the whole night, and I went to emergency again. The triage nurse told me to see my family doctor because the emergency doctor would not see me. But my family doctor did not work that day. So I went home, desperately, I called public health, talked to somebody who was on call. He understood my situation and ordered rabies immuno-globulin and vaccine and he said he would ship them to my family doctor’s office the second day. I got my treatment within 48 hours. The experience was so vivid and frightening, I would never forget it, and I was quite proud of myself too.
Fight for your right always. You are in Canada. You may think it is worth fighting in China, but here, if you fight what is right, you benefit from it.

所有跟帖: 

Thanks for sharing. Dear friends, don't forget your rights! -爱令- 给 爱令 发送悄悄话 爱令 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 14:05:25

很有勇气,值得赞赏,但似乎也很神经质。 -华灜- 给 华灜 发送悄悄话 华灜 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 14:19:58

I'd rather to be 神经质 than working in the spiritual world right n -轻轻河边草- 给 轻轻河边草 发送悄悄话 轻轻河边草 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 14:31:06

sorry I mean walking in the spiritual world -轻轻河边草- 给 轻轻河边草 发送悄悄话 轻轻河边草 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 14:32:03

打惊小怪不知该用到哪里去? -华灜- 给 华灜 发送悄悄话 华灜 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 14:43:16

我呢,没啥恶意的,可能用词不当,对不起哦!请原谅,握手!我的意思是,你先前的医生也有道理,基本上不会有事的。举个例子,你怕感染上 -华灜- 给 华灜 发送悄悄话 华灜 的博客首页 (196 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 15:08:10

加拿大的MD和护士都是超人啊.一个病人住院了没有diet order. -闽姑- 给 闽姑 发送悄悄话 闽姑 的博客首页 (530 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 19:04:17

回复:加拿大的MD和护士都是超人啊.一个病人住院了没有diet order. -轻轻河边草- 给 轻轻河边草 发送悄悄话 轻轻河边草 的博客首页 (283 bytes) () 03/06/2010 postreply 20:54:00

我为什么要说"你编故事或听故事最好用脑子想一想"?因为 -闽姑- 给 闽姑 发送悄悄话 闽姑 的博客首页 (1353 bytes) () 03/07/2010 postreply 19:34:48

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”