Please be careful about what you are saying or

来源: mdgg 2007-10-07 17:13:15 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (2402 bytes)
the advices you are giving, even most of the posts here are for entertainment purpose only, especially regarding real important issues. Otherwise, your post could cause unjustified emotional stress and may affect poster's decision making. The posts here is just such an exmple.

1. "A lot of edematous change in the entire brain" -- NO! Just the bifrontal and adjacent temporal lobes.

2. "Enlarged ventricles." ---- NO NO NO NO NO. If the radiology report says there is "enlarged ventricles", his/her lisence is gone. There is NO ventricular enlargment. In fact the right lateral ventricle is too small. This is because the ventricular shunt catheter is inserted from right side. And I suspect there is even little too much drain from the catheter (too aggressive decompression is not neccessarily good).

3. "Prognosis is bad"---- what are you talking about??? Patient has either coup (falling face-down) or contracoup (hitting back of head) injury to the inferior frontal and temporal lobes. This has resulted in hemorrhagic contusions and subarachnoid hemorrhage. The rest of the brain is fine and there is no herniation or midline shift. The life center--brainstem and the pons are fine so I expect patient will regain self breathing very soon. Patient will be moved out of ICU and stay couple of days on regular floor then move to rehab and d/c to home, if there is no further complications.

4. "I would call family to discuss code status." ---- code is determined when patient is admitted. Patient is only 66 and no one should dare to suggest withholding treatment as yet.

5. "The best outcome would probably be vegetative status and breath on vent for the rest of life. " ---- this is just plain irresponsible! If my resident or even fellow say things like that "based on the CT", s/he is not graduating. Period.

This is an unfortunate case but is not uncommon. Most of those cases recover largely. Patient may have mood disorders later on. Make sure ask them to look at bone window images to exclude fracture. At least they should have done MRI to look at the dead/infarcted brain area and most importantly to exclude diffuse axonal injuries (DAI) which in deed does have a bad outcome. CT should be repeated frequently (I know it is in Canada).

Did they tell you there is also right sided subdural hematoma?

Best of luck!

所有跟帖: 

Thank you for your opinion: Here is my comments back -fakedoctor- 给 fakedoctor 发送悄悄话 (3821 bytes) () 10/07/2007 postreply 18:30:15

Please carefully read my original response -fakedoctor- 给 fakedoctor 发送悄悄话 (299 bytes) () 10/07/2007 postreply 18:36:51

Sorry about one mistake: -fakedoctor- 给 fakedoctor 发送悄悄话 (186 bytes) () 10/07/2007 postreply 18:44:53

老大真是严谨;你们几位这么费心,我真心感激! -莞尔~- 给 莞尔~ 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/08/2007 postreply 01:08:49

I would support you. -familydoc- 给 familydoc 发送悄悄话 (536 bytes) () 10/07/2007 postreply 21:08:28

不是不trust医生的医术,而是病情发展让人灰心 -莞尔~- 给 莞尔~ 发送悄悄话 (844 bytes) () 10/08/2007 postreply 01:26:29

不是神经科医生,也不是放射科医生,姑且用我的观点娱乐一下大家。 -饿狼陀- 给 饿狼陀 发送悄悄话 (1030 bytes) () 10/09/2007 postreply 17:05:12

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”