AS has partner charts on its mileage award

来源: goingplaces 2023-12-24 20:17:32 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4456 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ goingplaces ] 在 2023-12-24 20:30:04 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

AS current redemption charts will only last thru Feb 2024.  AS will introduce a brand new program redemption metric, and will go dynamic pricing.

So what I tell you now, only still work for a couple more months, IF you can find seats.  There is Zero chance you can still find Cathay seats, Taiwan's Starlux seats, or even Japan airlines seats, since China opens its border.  I redeemed that in January, almost by accident because by the time I realized others were redeeming LAX/SFO-HKG, JFK-HKG by Thanksgiving 2022, all seats were gone.  Then suddenly in January there were multiple dates on the BOS-HKG, HKG-BOS flights for travelling in Sept/Oct.  At that time I was holding a JFK-HKG for Nov 2023, and the HKG-JFK I wanted was not in the redemption window yet.  Needless to say I gave AS a call and was super lucky to have a very competent agent who worked with me.  We tried to find HKG-Australia, nothing between HKG and all Australian gateways had business class.  No way we would sit in coach for near 8 hours flight.  So we changed the direction to Tokyo.  He worked patiently to put the itinerary together.  Super nice super knowledgeable agent!

Anyway, AS has charts for EACH of its partners, with different miles required, for different travelling regions.  It allows a stopover at the partner's gateway even on one way International route.  However it also has a draw back, as in it only allow Single partner + AS own flight.  Therefore if you are not living in Cathay's US gateway city, and your city has no AS service to the gateway, then you would need a position flight to reach the gateway city.  Like we flew BOS-HKG, we had to make our own way to Boston because AS does not serve Boston. 

The BEST value is redemption to Asia on Cathay Pacific, with a stopover allowed in Hong Kong even on a one way.  The business class cost is 50K miles one way, the first class is 60K miles one way.  

You can even go to South Africa via Hong Kong, at 60K business (no first class ever since CX retired its 747 6 or 7 years ago.)

The second best was to redeem Japan Airlines to Southeast Asia with a stopover in Japan, especially in First class.  Though AS has quietly devalued this earlier this year, before it revamps the program in 2024.

Another great use is to redeem Qantas to Australia at 70K in First.  But it is often very rare and last minute redemption.  But such redemption opportunities are there.  We flew the SYD-MEL-LAX in QF F in November a year before Covid, 70K miles.

Currently what is really interesting is, you can find American Airlines TATL business class seats that American Airlines itself does not release to AAdvantage members.  AS sees the over the ocean long haul at the same AA Saaver rate at 57.5K one way business, but AA itself wants 95K for the same seat! 

Once you understand how airline alliances work, and the sweet spots of each program, which "currencies" are transferrable to which programs, the combination is quite astonishing.  Dont just look at the US3, wether their miles or their metals.  For the North America, take a look of Air Canada's Aeroplan, amazing program.  Chase and AMEX are transfer partners and often has 20 to 30% transfer bonus.  Right now Chase UR offers 20% bonus runs thru Jan 14.

European programs such as BA, AF and even Virgin Atlantic, all have niches.  BA Avios has become very useful ever since Qatar changed its program to the same Avios and the 2 airlines programs have instant transfer.  QR sees a lot more seats for its own members that AA does not see.  BA is transfer partner of ALL 4 US flexible currencies - UR, Membership Rewards, ThankYou Point, and CapOne's "miles".  Again Chase and AMEX would offer 20% transfer bonus to BA at least once a year.  You take advantage of the transfer bonuses when offered, based on your travel needs.  AF also is a useful program once you learn how to use it.

There are so many opportunities among so many programs, hence it is a lot of fun, not just save money as in travel big, spend little.  But the process of burning brain power is a lot of fun. 

所有跟帖: 

学习并收藏了。非常感谢!! -股气东来- 给 股气东来 发送悄悄话 股气东来 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/24/2023 postreply 20:43:12

AS miles 确实最值钱但是也最难撸, -smlandlord- 给 smlandlord 发送悄悄话 smlandlord 的博客首页 (51 bytes) () 12/25/2023 postreply 07:40:03

对 AA 也没有 transfer partner 来年三月后看新program dynamic pricing 如何 -goingplaces- 给 goingplaces 发送悄悄话 (1493 bytes) () 12/25/2023 postreply 09:21:06

"英文博客"? 能给个网址吗?去学习一下。谢谢! -股气东来- 给 股气东来 发送悄悄话 股气东来 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/25/2023 postreply 11:10:16

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”