no one is sure about the "fiscal cliff" and its consequences

来源: Jeepster 2012-12-28 14:36:48 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1294 bytes)

thus the scale back of the estate tax exemption is still up on the sky.

The federal(not a state) estate tax law for 2011 and 2012 contains a "portability" provision that effectively eliminates the need for AB trust during those years.  This portability provision allows a surviving spouse to use any portion of a deceased spouse's 5 million estate tax exemption that wasn't used by the deceased spouse. In the past, the exemptions were not portable between spouses. Any unused portion of a deceased spouse's personal exemption was lost 

To me, this portability provision is more critical than the amount of the exemptions. And I doubt there are many TZLC landlords here have combined assets more than 10 millions.

Regarding the estate tax uncertainty, one sensible approach is to create an AB trust that gives you the flexibility to use if you later need to, but doesn't lock you into anything.  Such a trust is called an AB disclaimer trust.

I'm neither a tax attorny nor a financial planner. I do agree with 老瞎 though.  Unless your family net assets (not the leveraged) are more than 5 millions, you do not need consider using trust to legally avoid tax.  

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”