补充一下个人浅见

来源: WQPY 2012-02-21 08:42:30 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3636 bytes)
回答: Benjamin Graham's Curse on Gold (ZT)天下多蚤2012-02-21 06:36:00

Conceptually gold should be a helpful option. In reality though, it may not be exactly like many people may think.

Gold’s liquidity is not very good. Then people say it’s not true: bring .9999 gold with CSFB (for example) stamp on to any bank. Or it just stays in bank’s storage, change sticker on top… For that, the key is the credibility of the system (government, and bank, etc.) which if collapse, you got nothing. In US history, government confiscated all physically gold (or purchased) and made it illegal for people to own. Nowadays many countries still do that, like India maybe, or you could only trade in very restricted way.

Well we all know paper products developed to match performance of gold, are not real gold. Again, the key is whether the system will honor what it promised to deliver. When the bad time comes you got nothing, when you most need it, because a guarantee is only as good as the entities’ strength.

Now the only sure thing is to take delivery, which does have associated expenses, and it’s not exactly liquid. Remember the famous Hunt brothers silver story back in 70’s? That market is highly speculative and manipulated. In real world we all need to eat, we have bills to pay, we need cash flow. When the crisis came, the world panicked, you think the gold price (in term of USD) would immediately go up? No, it went down. Because that’s the only hard assets major banks can liquidate, and supply-demand squeezed it, again when you mostly need it. Remember the most difficult time for Russia back in 1990s? Yes, they could knock crude oil down to $9, again that market was highly speculative and manipulated.

For WB that kind of portfolio and strategy, I could understand why he doesn’t pick gold. I probably wouldn’t either if I were him. Matter of fact, it’ll be speculative or irresponsible to engage into a different game he is not good at. He tried and got burned in currency market, and stayed out of it, which is smart.

On the other hand, WB loves certain type of business which got quality goodwill thus performs well under inflation scenario and constantly generates cash. Thus when time comes, people begging him to take quality businesses over for cheap (that's the real reason, long cycle and deep pocket). It’s like when the flood disaster comes, you want to anchor to something looks strong, or Noah built a boat and floated with it? Another suspect which I didn’t verify, like all old railroad stories, BNSF should have tons of land.

所有跟帖: 

Good thought, for me -SunshineInCA- 给 SunshineInCA 发送悄悄话 (356 bytes) () 02/21/2012 postreply 09:37:39

Mixing of concept. -天下多蚤- 给 天下多蚤 发送悄悄话 (1360 bytes) () 02/21/2012 postreply 10:17:58

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”