Sequence of returns risk

来源: 橙县闲人 2019-03-02 08:34:01 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1409 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 橙县闲人 ] 在 2019-03-02 08:35:29 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Is sequence of returns risk the only thing they have to scare you out of early retirement ?

The favorite year they used is 1969, but I guess 1972 will do too.  Both years were right before a major stock crash and huge multiple year inflation run up, brought by Vietnam War, Oil embargo by OPEC, and most important, President Richard Nixon's de-coupling of US dollar from gold (used to be $38 per ounce).  The 70s is the decade the Fed just began to learn how to manage inflation effectively in a paper money system.

But 7% is a new high (or new low) withdraw rate even for that matter.

What makes a simulation from 1969 and 1972 failed is lnflation adjustment, not stock market crash.  That is why you will not fail in 2000 or 2008, both with huge stock market correction, but not inflation.  The issue is, do people really spend in inflation adjusted way or nominally ?  The biggest spending, housing, does not need to be inflation adjusted as long as you pay it off or using a fixed rate mortgage.  In our great state of California, even the property tax is capped at 2% increase.  

Also, are all your retirement spending so non-elastic, there are all need, nothing want ?  You can always cut want in the bad year if needed.

所有跟帖: 

Decouple US dollar from Gold is good for Growth -柠檬椰子汁- 给 柠檬椰子汁 发送悄悄话 柠檬椰子汁 的博客首页 (539 bytes) () 03/02/2019 postreply 11:25:32

金子这个紧身衣当然要脱掉 -橙县闲人- 给 橙县闲人 发送悄悄话 橙县闲人 的博客首页 (287 bytes) () 03/02/2019 postreply 11:33:01

Agreed. I just added similar points to my post above. -柠檬椰子汁- 给 柠檬椰子汁 发送悄悄话 柠檬椰子汁 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/02/2019 postreply 11:33:48

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”