美60岁男子在游轮上被滑动门撞伤,陪审团判游轮公司两千五百万赔偿(视频)

来源: NY七嘴八舌 2015-11-13 07:53:10 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3600 bytes)

Illinois man awarded $21.5 million for getting hit by cruise ship’s sliding door  

Can the rest of us get hit by those doors too?

An Illinois businessman won a whopping $21.5 million in damages — reportedly one of the largest recent sums from a federal court — because he was hit in the head by a sliding glass door on a cruise ship years ago.

The lawyer for James R. Hausman said the man suffered seizures, vertigo and memory loss from his door disaster — which was caught on camera — although Hausman still managed to finish his 280-day world cruise, The Seattle Times reported.

“He didn’t get better,” Hausman’s lawyer Rick Friedman said after the verdict earlier this month.

“And he did not try to hide this. He still has troubles with things that would have been simple before.”

Hausman apparently isn’t alone: His attorney showed evidence to a Seattle jury that dozens of other passengers have been smacked by sliding doors on other ships from the cruise company, Holland America Line.

Hausman left with his wife, daughter and a tutor from Seattle in September 2011 and traveled to Russia, China and through Southeast Asia and the South Pacific.

In November, as the vessel approached Honolulu, Hausman was whacked by the doors on his way to a pool. Surveillance footage shows several crew members walking through the doors before they suddenly closed on Hausman.

A doctor on the ship told Hausman he suffered a facial contusion and chipped tooth, and then diagnosed him with “post-concussion” syndrome, the Times reported. But neurological tests later showed Friedman suffered a minor brain injury, which spurred a slew of health problems he still suffers today, his attorney said. Medical studies have long shown seizures, veritgo and memory loss can result from blows to the head.

Eight jurors unanimously ruled in favor of Hausman, who is a gold and metals shop owner in Springfield. The verdict comprised $16.5 million in punitive damages, and another $5 million for Hausman’s past and future pain and distress.

After the trial, Hausman told the Illinois Times he tried to settle with Holland for $10 million but the company refused.

“In my opinion, they were granted everything that they asked for in trial,” he said.

“Holland America was granted literally every defense motion that they wanted.”

Hausman, a former pilot, also told the paper about the pain he still suffers from the sliding door incident.

“I’ll be on seizure drugs the rest of my life,” he said. “I’ll never fly a plane again. The vertigo, it will be with me the rest of my life.”

Holland said it would appeal but did not comment further on the verdict.

所有跟帖: 

美国司法不公,为国家打仗的兵死了也没有几个钱,以后上游船票要涨价了。连血都没有出,跟老婆打架,摔一耳光也就是这样? -yhr- 给 yhr 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 07:56:00

这有点瞎搞,违背了法律的尊严和公正。 -薛成- 给 薛成 发送悄悄话 薛成 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 08:14:08

你估计不知道中国士兵能拿到什么。最近一次中越战争,抚恤金才多少钱?呵呵。美国士兵什么待遇?不知道不要胡扯。 -知人知面- 给 知人知面 发送悄悄话 知人知面 的博客首页 (169 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:07:48

你如果知道,就说!不要只贬低别人你自己啥也不说 -ZeroSumGame- 给 ZeroSumGame 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:49:16

最近政府取消很多退役军人福利,你们有没有看到电视上为退役军人募捐广告。真让人心寒, -qiaoshe- 给 qiaoshe 发送悄悄话 qiaoshe 的博客首页 (77 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:41:33

所以房东选客和维护房屋,商业物业管理都要小心 -NY七嘴八舌- 给 NY七嘴八舌 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 08:15:06

因为这些事,我开始觉得中国的专制也不一定都是坏事 -ZeroSumGame- 给 ZeroSumGame 发送悄悄话 (464 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 08:41:01

你没有在中国出租过房子,是不?呵呵。回去体会一下好处。 -知人知面- 给 知人知面 发送悄悄话 知人知面 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:08:48

叫兽想说明什么问题?我在国内租过房子,和美国没有什么两样。 -qiaoshe- 给 qiaoshe 发送悄悄话 qiaoshe 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:36:26

他们价格公道,也很灵活。非常容易沟通。只是卫生上面比较马虎。 -qiaoshe- 给 qiaoshe 发送悄悄话 qiaoshe 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:47:30

美国司法远非完善,对于所谓的痛苦费等非直接金钱损失应设合理上限 -老农民说两句- 给 老农民说两句 发送悄悄话 老农民说两句 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 09:56:34

楼上的基本都认为人不值钱?呵呵。换做你,或者你的家里人怎么想? -知人知面- 给 知人知面 发送悄悄话 知人知面 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:06:13

自己不长眼,怎么走路的?能怪别人吗? -薛成- 给 薛成 发送悄悄话 薛成 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 11:33:10

都是你的错,赫赫 -土棉农- 给 土棉农 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 11/13/2015 postreply 14:52:18

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”