某老外同志发在Nature上的评论

来源: 祖冲之 2012-08-04 06:54:30 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3932 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 祖冲之 ] 在 2012-08-04 09:34:28 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
  • Report this comment | #48362

Venti Awake said:

To Audrey Richard:

Welcome to the PhD family!

I am afraid I had a totally different feeling, as a matter of fact, very uncomfortable feeling, when I started reading the piece. If it is indeed about going against anti-doping controls, a target with proven doping history would be appropriate, and there is a long list of candidates at his disposal (Even so, I am not sure if he could get away from serious legal troubles). Can you imagine a news article about terrorism placing your picture aside the story after you being proved innocent? If so, congratulations, you have a winning case!

I am not a fan of his "explanation" part either. A person with a biomedical background should have known better about "anomalous". It happens whether we like it or not.

Mother nature has her brutal side:

1. A Chicago girl Tinley was born with Apert syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that occurs in about 1 in 10,000 births.
    2. PKU occurs in about 1 in 10,000 births (Steinfeld et al., 2004).
    3. OCA2 in the United States occurs as approximately 1:36,000 (Lee et al, 1994)
    The list goes on (http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/rare-genetic-disorders-learning-about-genetic-disease-979).

Are those anomalous cases? I think more so than Ye's case, statistically. Should we question their legitimacy? If the answer is no, why is it so hard for us to embrace the excitement Mother nature brought to us at the Olympic games when she shows her gentle side? If it still seems okay with you to dismiss the likelihood of Ye's "anomalous" performance at the Olympics (which has been proven not anomalous at all), let's add Rebecca Soni's picture to this article, side by side. After all, both of them are clean. Aren't they? Or by the author's standard, they are just dopers who have not being caught yet, not until some miraculous "performance profiling" is adopted.

As to the difference between Nature News and Nature Magazine, I agree with you. I do not expect the same level of qualities. However, I do not expect cheap insinuations which one often finds in paparazzi magazines. If I want a dose of something like that, Nature News is the last place I would think of.

As to Noah Gray, I have to add this. As professionals, we just do not behave like kindergarteners. He's not the editor of the News front, I get it. But he is related; otherwise he would not have the authority or means to check the count issue in the comment section. But I expect more out of him as a scientist, or maybe I am deadly wrong. In science, when it comes to right or wrong regardless of the subject, we debate, we do not mock however naive the other side appears. That's the bottomline. Respect your opponent, my friend. That's my take on the spirit of the Olympics.

This is the last time I visit Nature. Not that I have turned into a Nature hater, but my time will be better spent at other places where I can find real science instead of hyped fabrications. It was very nice exchanging ideas with you. Please keep up with your good posts. I am sorry I probably won't be able to read them. But I'm sure many people would appreciate your input just as I do. Good day!

•  

• 所有跟帖: 

回复:某老外同志发在Nature上的评论:老外很会说话. -newcomerST- 给 newcomerST 发送悄悄话 (34 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 07:11:42

Hyped fabrication -da-piggest-stud- 给 da-piggest-stud 发送悄悄话 (85 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 07:51:20

『体育聚焦』 美国是服用兴奋剂最多的国家(转载) -散淡之人- 给 散淡之人 发送悄悄话 (1131 bytes) () 08/04/2012 postreply 16:56:37

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
    请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
    选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
    选择“don't run on pages on this domain”