Develop a Pearl in You

来源: Bobopig 2010-12-13 20:07:34 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3389 bytes)

昨天去Lakewood Church听了Joel Osteen 的布道, titled "Develop a Pearl in You." I enjoy Joel's preaching simply because it is closely related to one's real life. In addition, he is very humourous and handsome.

Outline: when a grain gets into an oyster, the oyster find it irritating. Over the time, the grain becomes a pearl. Without the grain and without the irritation, there will not be the beautiful pearl. Every irritation is a God's given opportunity for us to surpass our irritation/difficulty to rise above higher. We may have a boss or a co-worker that we dislike. Some people choose to leave and work for another company. But the same thing happens again. The key is not to escape but face the problem. If you cannot change others, change yourself.

This is so true. When I entered my company two years ago, I had a tough boss. Let's call her B. B was tough not because she worked me hard. I do not mind working hard at all. She made life miserable for me by micro-managing my job. She wanted things done her way and did not care whether my way is more efficient or not. She liked to judge people behind their back. She is control-freak and germ-freak. She always had a way to belittle me or make me feel humiliated. All in all, I disliked her so much that I thought about quitting my job. However, if I really quit my job, it would still bother me since there will be a deep shadown left by her. I would never forget being humilated by her. After a few weeks' struggle. I decided to swallow my pride but NOT to quit my job. I started to change myself and my take on things. On the other hand, I worked very hard for her and did everything she told me to do, in her way. In the end, she had nothing but good things to say about me. By this time, a year had past and I already gained respect and trust from her peers and her bosses.

Don't forget I still dislike her but I cannot choose to escape. Time has arrived for me to leave her behind and still working in the same company in the same office. One day, after talking with C, who is a level higher than B, about me working directly for C since I enjoy working for her and I can bring a lot of value to her.  C agreed. Then I had a peaceful talk with my HR person that I wish I will work for and report to C. HR asked me whether there is any problem with B. I said no problem, and I just felt that there is a better match that C and I together can develop better client service and it will better my career path. I did not talk bad things about B or the real misery she brough to my work life (which also impacted my personal life), nor did I talk to any third party about this change, including B.

A week later, B was notified and I can still remember she was totally taken aback. She asked me to go to her office and mumbled something like "sorry.." I did not care what she said. Giving her a big smile, I said peacefully: "I do not remember anything."

As of today, we are still working togher and saying "Hi" and "Bye," just like nothing ever happened. We will never be friends, but I do not dislike her any more. I acknoledge her existence but I alreay surpass the irritation she brough to me. We are simply different: different in cultural background, different in skin color and most of all, different in how to manage staff.

Don't you see a pearl developed in me?

所有跟帖: 

have to say I admire your courage to stay on until you can prove -Cathy_Bay- 给 Cathy_Bay 发送悄悄话 Cathy_Bay 的博客首页 (26 bytes) () 12/14/2010 postreply 08:13:24

your post is inspiring. and right timing for me. Many thanks. -Cathy_Bay- 给 Cathy_Bay 发送悄悄话 Cathy_Bay 的博客首页 (140 bytes) () 12/14/2010 postreply 08:16:33

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”