Now I feel obligated to give a not-so-brief reply

来源: 郝庄董 2009-12-26 09:24:58 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3310 bytes)
回答: 是的, 你错了, Ms. Director.郝庄董2009-12-25 13:02:45
First of all, let me say that many of us here empathize with you. Put in your shoes, most of us would likely feel the same frustration as you did. How one deals with it, though, to a large extent determines the winners and losers of an unfortunate situation not necessarily of your making.

(Actually, I was hesitant in using the term "winners and losers" in the preceding paragraph. I am a firm believer of win-win solutions in the workplace and elsewhere. With some flexibility and creativity on all parties involved, no matter how knotted a case is, some kind of breakthrough can always be achieved, making it possible for everyone to emerge a true winner.)

Now, let me be specific and offer a few pointers for your Monday meeting with your boss.

1. Be calm, composed, and professional. Emotions make us human, but they are rarely helpful in solving workplace problems. Instead, demonstrate your ability as a leader to tackle all issues with abundant maturity and professionalism. How to do it? After exchanging pleasantries after a major holiday, say something like "Thank you for arranging this meeting. I am really glad that we have this opportunity to sit down face to face to revisit my job responsibilities and your expectations of my position."
2. Be sincere and honest. Acknowledge your boss's disappointment early on, and make clear that you are willing to work with him to improve your work relationship. That would go a long way to re-establish the trust necessary for a healthy rapport between you and your boss. How to do it? "I understand that you have very high expectations of me, and I take that as confirmation that my contributions are important to the company's success. If I have fallen short in meeting your expectations here and there, let me assure you that it is not because of lack of will or effort, but due to need of more efficient work methods. I want to do as well as I possibly can to contribute to the company's success, and I welcome your suggestions how I can do better."
3. Be flexible and creative. By flexible, I mean you need to be ready to make more short-term sacrifices, e.g., bending backwards to meet your boss's reasonable demands. And by creative, I mean to work with your boss to craft solutions that are hereto unthought-of. Once the two of you are on the same page and truly work toward the same goals, you will be surprised how easy it often is to come up with solutions that are not merely agreeable, but actually gratifying rewarding.
4. Be proactive and forward-looking. In your Monday meeting, if something has been worked out to both parties’ satisfaction, thank your boss for his time and initiative to address an important issue, and promise to implement what is proposed without delay. In the worst case scenario that nothing concrete is achieved yet, offer to be open-minded and willing to work on it at a more propitious time, stating that you share your boss’s concern, and you will not rest until a solution is found.

Again, the above is said under the assumption that you want to keep your current job and are willing to work with your boss to expand your career with your current company. If that assumption is off, all I have said is void and null.

Best wishes.
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”