提素,乾隆帝写给乔治的信。英文真好啊:)

来源: lilywxc 2015-12-11 07:23:26 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (4562 bytes)

You, O King, live beyond the confines of many seas, nevertheless, impelled by your humble desire to partake of the benefits of our civilisation, you have dispatched a mission respectfully bearing your memorial. Your Envoy has crossed the seas and paid his respects at my Court on the anniversary of my birthday. To show your devotion, you have also sent offerings of your country's produce.

I have perused your memorial: the earnest terms in which it is couched reveal a respectful humility on your part, which is highly praiseworthy. In consideration of the fact that your Ambassador and his deputy have come a long way with your memorial and tribute, I have shown them high favour and have allowed them to be introduced into my presence. To manifest my indulgence, I have entertained them at a banquet and made them numerous gifts. I have also caused presents to be forwarded to the Naval Commander and six hundred of his officers and men, although they did not come to Peking, so that they too may share in my all­embracing kindness.

As to your entreaty to send one of your nationals to be accredited to my Celestial Court and to be in control of your country's trade with China, this request is contrary to all usage of my dynasty and cannot possibly be entertained. It is true that Europeans, in the service of the dynasty, have been permitted to live at Peking, but they are compelled to adopt Chinese dress, they are strictly confined to their own precincts and are never permitted to return home. You are presumably familiar with our dynastic regulations. Your proposed Envoy to my Court could not be placed in a position similar to that of European officials in Peking who are forbidden to leave China, nor could he, on the other hand, be allowed liberty of movement and the privilege of corresponding with his own country; so that you would gain nothing by his residence in our midst.

Moreover, our Celestial dynasty possesses vast territories, and tribute missions from the dependencies are provided for by the Department for Tributary States, which ministers to their wants and exercises strict control over their movements. It would be quite impossible to leave them to their own devices. Supposing that your Envoy should come to our Court, his language and national dress differ from that of our people, and there would be no place in which to bestow him. It may be suggested that he might imitate the Europeans permanently resident in Peking and adopt the dress and customs of China, but, it has never been our dynasty's wish to force people to do things unseemly and inconvenient. Besides, supposing I sent an Ambassador to reside in your country, how could you possibly make for him the requisite arrangements? Europe consists of many other nations besides your own: if each and all demanded to be represented at our Court, how could we possibly consent? The thing is utterly impracticable. How can our dynasty alter its whole procedure and system of etiquette, established for more than a century, in order to meet your individual views? If it be said that your object is to exercise control over your country's trade, your nationals have had full liberty to trade at Canton for many a year, and have received the greatest consideration at our hands. Missions have been sent by Portugal and Italy, preferring similar requests. The Throne appreciated their sincerity and loaded them with favours, besides authorising measures to facilitate their trade with China. You are no doubt aware that, when my Canton merchant, Wu Chao-ping, who was in debt to foreign ships. I made the Viceroy advance the monies due, out of the provincial treasury, and ordered him to punish the culprit severely. Why then should foreign nations advance this utterly unreasonable request to be represented at my Court? Peking is nearly two thousand miles from Canton, and at such a distance what possible control could any British representative exercise?

所有跟帖: 

已阅,转英语论坛 -chicago80- 给 chicago80 发送悄悄话 chicago80 的博客首页 (3363 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:31:18

赞! -lilywxc- 给 lilywxc 发送悄悄话 lilywxc 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:35:31

肿么跟谷歌翻译,翻的一模一样捏。。。。汗! -gamlastan- 给 gamlastan 发送悄悄话 gamlastan 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 08:53:01

哈哈,就是古购翻滴~~~ -chicago80- 给 chicago80 发送悄悄话 chicago80 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 10:58:54

后来乔治派信使回了乾隆的信, 还是毛笔写的中文的呢!!!! -脱袜子- 给 脱袜子 发送悄悄话 脱袜子 的博客首页 (87 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:44:24

LOL -尼玛让你再瞎胡闹- 给 尼玛让你再瞎胡闹 发送悄悄话 尼玛让你再瞎胡闹 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:45:38

哈哈哈,俺只认识一个字 -lilywxc- 给 lilywxc 发送悄悄话 lilywxc 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:50:50

中心思想就是fcuk off俩字。 -尼玛让你再瞎胡闹- 给 尼玛让你再瞎胡闹 发送悄悄话 尼玛让你再瞎胡闹 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:45:08

再翻回中文就是:滚? -大肥猫- 给 大肥猫 发送悄悄话 大肥猫 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:53:01

哈哈哈哈,你真聪明啊。FCUK是一个服装品牌的名字,英国的 -bambooseven- 给 bambooseven 发送悄悄话 bambooseven 的博客首页 (135 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 08:05:08

许多年前第一次路过他家的店门,我愣了好半天,没敢进去,也没敢问别人是怎么回事:)) -lilywxc- 给 lilywxc 发送悄悄话 lilywxc 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 08:09:57

记得当时刚发现,愣了(衣服标签就是FCUK)。和同事在公司议论来着~印象很深 -bambooseven- 给 bambooseven 发送悄悄话 bambooseven 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 08:12:10

I saw a sad close-door history :)) -by心言- 给 by心言 发送悄悄话 by心言 的博客首页 (230 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 07:46:08

呵呵,文言文 -真热闹- 给 真热闹 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 08:02:38

well-versed scholar ~ -20146- 给 20146 发送悄悄话 20146 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 08:04:40

这是乾隆身边哪位大臣写的,可以但外交部长了 -中坛太抖- 给 中坛太抖 发送悄悄话 中坛太抖 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 08:12:04

那时候就有谷歌翻译了?文笔很像新华社,文字上中国从来都不缺热血护主文人。 -潜潜潜- 给 潜潜潜 发送悄悄话 潜潜潜 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 12/11/2015 postreply 13:15:43

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”