seasonal Giants playoff game report

来源: Giantfan 2009-01-13 17:30:34 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6440 bytes)
I lost internet access in my office in the last two months so I wasn’t active in this forum during those days. Since the Giants’ season is over, I *manage* to write my post game review on the last playoff game at home.

The offense lost the game and the main culprits are the coaching staffs. I have always complaint about offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride’s play callings since his promotion. I just don’t like his pass-happy schemes. The Giants led the league with the most rushing yardage at the end of this regular season. I thought that he has changed but last Sunday’s game showed otherwise.

The smash mouth football is the tradition of the Giants. Keep running the ball till the opponent team stops your running backs is the key to succeed in frigid and windy Giant stadium in December and January. Every Giants fan knows that but not Mr. Gilbride.

He started the first offensive series with a pass call though the team went against the wind. The wind blew the ball away from the intended receiver. After settling for a field goal, he continued to live in his pass first fantastic world. He called another pass play when the Giants had to start their second offensive series deep into their own territory due to a special team penalty. Eli Manning tried to overcome the power of wind and he overthrew the receiver. Interception! That set the tone for the Giants’ passing attack for the rest of the game. Eli didn’t look comfortable and Mr. Gilbride didn’t try to help him to settle down with short passes. I don’t remember seeing any slant pass, curl route, RB screen play. He did call one TE screen, WR screen but executions were awful. For most of time, Eli had to hold onto the ball long in the pocket to wait for the plays developed because Mr. Kilbribe kept calling long pass plays such as fly route (to not-so-fast WR Steve Smith but not speedy Domenik Hixon? Come on) or post route in windy weather condition, smart moves.

RB Brandon Jacobs had a fairly good game but not great. It wasn’t his fault though. The Eagles had trouble to stop him at the early stage of the game (It also reminds me the cheap shots from S Brian Dawkins. I respect the Eagles defense but not this always thirty play guy) our coaches halted him for the Eagles. He was often pulled out once he had a good run here or there so he could never get into rhythm. Mixing offense is good but why disrupted him if he ran well?

I wouldn’t let the head coach Tom Coughlin off the hook here. When the game was close, two minute warning in the first half, offensive unit snapped the ball at the Eagles 20 yard line, the Eagles jumped offside, first and five, perfect scenario to run the ball all the way but he decided to let our OC to call three straight incomplete pass plays. Not only the Giants had to kick a field goal but he also allowed the Eagles to mount another offensive series to catch up with plenty of time left. The worst thing was that the Giants defense had prevent formation (to limit the Eagles’ big plays). Donovan McNabb was ineffective before the last drive of the first half but the prevent formation (I always hate prevent) gave him life. The success of short to intermediate range passes regained confidence on him and he started to click since then. Bad game management.

Eli received tons of praises after Super Bowl victory so he is the one responsible for the lousy performance on the field. Though I am his long time defender I admit that he played a bad game. He looked un-prepared and wasn’t in sync with his receivers. One of the notable improvements for him this season is he protects the ball well but he was careless to the ball in this game. His quarterback sneak attempt is one of the worst I have ever seen.

This season is his fourth year as full season starter. He should know well how to battle the winds in Giant stadium during winter time. I heard that the Giants practiced in indoor facility before the game. True they are humans but at least they should practice in a simulated windy environment. Except few games (last year NFC championship game included, thank god) Eli struggles in winter time. Since he excels in warm weather, I think that the Giants should build a dome just for him so the Giants have more chances to advance further during playoff rounds (I hope that Eli can prove me wrong).

Special team had an up and down game. Kick returner started the game with 60+ yards return but the team gave away good field positions with costly push the back penalty twice later on. The latter led to eventual Eli’s interception. Playoff games are battle of field position. The special team just kept let us down. Two missing long field goals by kicker, John Carney, also gave the Eagles opportunities to start their offense close to midfield.

The Eagles exposed how vulnerable the Giants linebackers were. I have been critical to the Giants linebacker corps for years. They are good to stuff the run but too slow to rush the quarterbacks, neither can they cover anybody, TE, RB, WR. I think that it is time for the Giants to upgrade this position through this year’s draft and free agency.

The Giants missed Plaxico Burress, period. Without the true #1 wide receiver, the Giants WR corps doesn’t scare anyone. True, Plaxico doesn’t have extraordinary record this season, stat-wise, but he did draw double teamed on him all the time. I am against to bring back Plaxico next season though. I just want the Giants to get a talented #1 WR material ASAP. The Giants should be regretting not to pursuit Larry Fitzgerald when he was a free agent.

The pass rush also suffered with absence of Osi. Last season he had six sacks on Donovan McNabb in one game. This season he stood on the sideline helplessly to watch his teammates chase Mr. McNabb desperately. Three games without sack on Donovan McNabb are inexcusable (I give credits to the Eagles offensive line on this one).

I don’t want to write too long to bore readers (I know it is already long). Before I end, I want to congratulate the Eagles’ fans. Winners during playoff round deserve praises. Good luck for the rest of the season but I am going to root for Arizona Cardinals because I like Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald and my brother lives in Glendale, Arizona, hoho.

所有跟帖: 

David Tyree was NOT there either! Another starter WR! -MrOldBull- 给 MrOldBull 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/13/2009 postreply 18:02:08

hoho he is just a special team ace & emergency WR -Giantfan- 给 Giantfan 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/13/2009 postreply 18:07:28

Whatever! But I feel he is better than Hixon! -MrOldBull- 给 MrOldBull 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/13/2009 postreply 18:15:29

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”