Sunday Night Ritual

来源: lovehandle 2009-08-25 17:34:48 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3146 bytes)
More at www.the-lovehandle.com

One of my favorite things to do is browsing cookbooks at Barnes & Nobles on a lazy Saturday afternoon. I first came across the Chicken Al Mattone recipe in the Bon Appétit magazine. It was around 1:30 pm and I was starving. The picture of a juicy, perfectly-roasted bird made my mouth water. I was thinking to myself, "I have got to try this recipe on Sunday!"

Apparently, roasting a chicken al mattone ("with a brick") is an old Italian technique. The brick presses the chicken onto the pan so that it comes out moist and juicy, with lovely golden skin. And it doesn't require much seasoning, just a simple marinade. I would recommend getting an organic chicken (trust me, it is sooo worth the money!), and marinade it overnight.

Here is what you will need:

1. One 4-5 lb. organic young chicken - make sure you take out its back bone. If you are too chicken to do it yourself, then get the butcher from the store to do it for you.

2. For the marinade, mix one table spoon of extra virgin olive oil, three cloves of crushed garlic, two tea spoons of dry or fresh rosemary, half tea spoon of pepper, half tea spoon of salt, and the juice of one lemon. If you like some kick to your dish, sprinkle some dry hot pepper flakes on the chicken.

3. A brick - I mean a BRICK! Many thanks to Joe Mama, who walked all over the neighborhood in search of a perfect brick.

chicken!Brown the marinaded chicken breast side down in an oven safe pan with butter (about 7 minutes). Put the brick on top of the chicken as shown in the photo. Bake the whole thing in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Flip the chicken over and bake it for another 10 minutes. By the way, if you have not figured out that you need to wrap the brick with foil by now, you should not attempt to cook this dish.

finished product!Let the chicken cool for a few minutes before digging in. The juice is absolutely delicious and the leftover chicken, if there is any, will make a great roast chicken sandwich next day!

side dishSide dish: Roasted mini peppers and brussel sprouts in the pan with butter, season with salt, pepper, and a few drips of grape seed oil.

所有跟帖: 

may I ask is this real you open the wine? food looks great! -大媽豬- 给 大媽豬 发送悄悄话 大媽豬 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/25/2009 postreply 17:46:51

回复:may I ask is this real you open the wine? food looks great! -lovehandle- 给 lovehandle 发送悄悄话 lovehandle 的博客首页 (66 bytes) () 08/25/2009 postreply 18:27:15

Caribbean cooking has similar method of using bricks. -weston- 给 weston 发送悄悄话 weston 的博客首页 (225 bytes) () 08/25/2009 postreply 22:23:20

About the Caribbean cooking -lovehandle- 给 lovehandle 发送悄悄话 lovehandle 的博客首页 (224 bytes) () 08/26/2009 postreply 11:05:56

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”