former -> formal No shortcut: practice, practice, practice!

来源: Rubikscube 2008-01-28 09:43:07 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 0 次 (1901 bytes)
First let me ask you guys: do you READ English articles on a daily basis? If your answer is "Yes!” great! We can talk about improving your written English. For those of you who don't read English article that often, my sincere apology: it's very difficult to upgrade your writing skills.

Reading and writing go hand in hand -- one helps the other. Neither is easy as beans. For most Chinese immigrants, the only serious works they wrote in English were their thesis. Boy, I remembered what a struggle that was! I was caught flat-footed because I didn't pay attention to practicing writing while studying for the degree. I read papers a lot but only focused on the experimental sections, not the way to tell a good story with logic and rationale. In scientific research, data are critical. In the business world, explaining the data to a wider audience with style is more important.

It might sounds offensive to some, but the truth is that most of us only complain about our inability to write without ANY effort to look for help. When was the last time you asked your colleagues to proofread your writing? When was the last time you enrolled in a writing class? When was the last time you wrote a message in English in WXC? When was the last time you search online "How to improve writing skills". I can reel off a log list of things you might want to consider if you are serious about improving yourself. But I would rather leave that daunting task to you for a good reason: There are tons of information out there, and you have to separate the wheat from the chaff, including analyzing this post.

Don't pay lip service to hard work. You don't know who's swimming naked until the tide goes out! Start to put your acts together NOW.

One muggle

所有跟帖: 

回复:I agree with you that writing needs practice. However, -sub101- 给 sub101 发送悄悄话 (121 bytes) () 01/28/2008 postreply 10:19:02

More links -Rubikscube- 给 Rubikscube 发送悄悄话 (521 bytes) () 01/28/2008 postreply 10:42:27

回复:thanks. but -sub101- 给 sub101 发送悄悄话 (34 bytes) () 01/28/2008 postreply 14:05:03

You can hire a private tutor. If you want FREE service, you can -Rubikscube- 给 Rubikscube 发送悄悄话 (530 bytes) () 01/28/2008 postreply 15:04:23

回复:thanks! -sub101- 给 sub101 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/28/2008 postreply 15:14:31

Computer Pal Across the World -Rubikscube- 给 Rubikscube 发送悄悄话 (94 bytes) () 01/28/2008 postreply 15:06:28

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”