Behavior Questions - 1

来源: hotdog 2004-10-24 11:39:46 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (9659 bytes)
© Copyright reserved 2004 by HotDog

Standard behavior interview questions may not seem difficult, but your answer to each question should be polished and sharp. Craft answers and practice them before your interview so that you can effetively present yourself in front of the interviewer. Effective answers are honest, positive, and brief, highlighting important qualities and accomplishments that are relevant to the position. Give examples to illustrate and corroborate your statements when possible. Your responses should work together, making connections between what you have previously done, the available position, and your future goals.

According to my experiences, I suggest to spend no more than 1~1.5 minute on each question unless there are specical instructions. The more time you spend, the more difficult the interviewer will be able to focus. I had experiences in interviewing people. After one minute, my mind would easily drift away from the question I have just asked. Remember, the purpose is not to give an answer, but to make the interviewer remember your key strengths. Be conssice and sharp.

Below are some of the sample questions I have prepared. The sample questions need to be rewritten based on your personal experiences and positions to be interviewed.

A. General Background Questions

1. Tell me something about yourself

Analysis: Make a short, organized statement of your education and professional achievements and professional goals. Then, briefly describe your qualifications for the job and the contributions you could make to the organization. Answer the questions from three perspective: 1) your educational and professional experience; 2) technial skills; 3) good personality and interpersonal skills and strong team player; and 4) strong interest toward the position you will be interviewed.

Sample Answer 1:
 I recently graduated from the finance major at AmericaUniv. My education in top finance program in China and the master programs in the U.S. have built up my strong communication and writing skills, quantitative analysis skills, good knowledge in finance and statistics, and valuable computer techniques for economic and business analysis. (Depending on what kind of position you are interviewed.)
 I believe my rigorous training as school, my strong quantitative and computer skills, and my experiences in banking industry make me the ideal candidate for this position.
 Besides my strong technical skills, I am also a hardworking, devoted, and reliable employee. I am a good team player. I got a lot of experiences of team cooperation and client interaction. I am also willing to learn and I learn things quickly and adapt easily.
 I believe there is a good fit between my background and the requirement of the position at AmericaCorp. I have been seeking just such an opportunity as this. I would like to thank you very much for taking my application into consideration.

Sample Answer 2:
 I am a graduate student in MIS major at AmericaUniv. Through the past several years’ education in computer technology and Finance, I’ve built up my proficient skills in C++, Java object oriented programming, and Oracle Database management system, etc. In addition, I have a very good understanding toward the financial market and financial products and theories.
 I used to work on developing real-time trading system at ChinaCorp. I am a good team player. I have been successfully cooperating with difference people on different project. I learn things quickly and adapt easily in both technical and business environment.
 Through those experiences, I have developed a strong passion to employ technology to solve the problem in Finance and create real value for the companies. Therefore, I would to apply for the technical associate position in your esteemed company.
 I believe I am an ideal candidate for the technical asociate position. And I have been seeking just such as opportunity as this. I would like to thank you very much for taking my application into consideration.

Some of the sentences you can use for answer technology type of position.
 I have various project experiences includes designing, developing multi-tier, distributed and secure web-based applications and developed real world size database system.
 My key strength is in Java, XML, Servlet, RMI, JSP, EJB, JDBC, Java/Mail programming and Object-Oriented methodology.
 Have proficient skills in Oracle Database development and administration tools such as PL/SQL, Developer/2000, SQL Plus and SQL Navigator.
 I have the potential to keep up with and master the fast developing information technologies.

2. Why should we hire you?

Analysis: First, show you understanding of the company and the position. Second, show your qualifications for this position and why you are good fit. Be prepared to cite the key strengths that you see as necessary to do the job, relating them to your own demonstrated skills, as illustrated in stories you have already told. Then try to name one desirable extra that you provide, such as your enthusiasm, you ability to work in long hours when necessary, or your love of leaning.

Sample Answer:
From my research, it is my assessment that AmericaCorp is looking for somebody with strong economics and statistics analysis skills, and good writing, communication and interpersonal skills. Besides these, the person should be creative, dynamic, and cooperative in a team. (First understand what are the key qualifications they are look for. Then tell them you have such qualification.)

I believe that I am the ideal candidate. My education and experiences just prepared me for this position.

First, I have very strong background in economics, statistics, finance, and technology. My education in the top finance program in China and master programs in the AmericaUniv have built up my strong skills in all these areas.

Second, I have strong communication and writing skills. (use your own examples here)

Third, besides my technical skills, I am also a hardworking, devoted, and reliable employee. I am a good team player. I have a lot of experiences of team cooperation and client interaction. Also I learn things quickly and adapt easily. I have strong potentials and capabilities to get into the business process quickly and effectively.

3. Why should we choose you, but not others?
Same the questions above. From several perspective: 1) educational and professional background; 2) strong technical skills; 3) strong interpersonal skills and a team player.

4. How to convince them to choose you, a Chinese, rather not an American?

My unique advantages for this position are my multi-culture, multi-language, multi-discipline experiences. I believe with the globalization of the businesses, there will be more and more interaction of AmericaCorp with clients in Asia Pacific. My knowledge and background will be value assets for AmericaCorp.

During my two years at AmericaUniv, I have outperformed almost all the American peers in terms of academic record, research, and social activities. I graduated with the highest distinction. My research at AmericaUniv got recognition from all the professors in my committee. All these can only prove I will do a better job in this position.

5. In what ways would you contribute to our organization?
Same as "why would we hire you?" Again and again, answer this type of quesions from 1) educational and professional experiences; 2) Technical skills; 3) strong interpresonal, communication skills, and a good teamplayer.

6. How long would it take you to make a meaningful contribution to our firm?

Very quickly after a little orientation and a brief period of adjustment and the learning curve.

7. Rate yourself a scale of one to ten.

Analysis: Tell something between 8 and 9, saying that you always give of your best, but always see room for improvement.

First, I believe that I am the ideal candidate for this position. I have strong financial, statistical analysis skills, technical skills, and communication and writing skills. Besides this, I am also a devoted, hardworking employee. I am a good team player, learn thing quickly and adapt easily. I am confident that I can make value contribution to the business after a little orientation and a brief period of adjustment and learning curve. Therefore, I would like to rate myself 9.

“9” is because I always see room for improvement. I believe that the valuable professional experiences I will be able to obtain from the work places, the skills I will learn from the teamwork and excellent people in AmericaCorp, will enable me to make more contribution to the company.

Several comments for general background questions:
1) Whenever possible, I like to use first, second, and third, which shows you are very well organized. It also helps the interviewer to grasp the main points you will make.
2) Present your experiences in China in a straight forward way. Don't use specicla terms or explain special background in China.
3) Never forget to mention your good interpersonal skills, team work, and other good qualities of you in additional to technical.

-- to be continued

For a copy of HotDog's job hunting story, please send an email to toHotDog@gmail.com

所有跟帖: 

very good thanks. -wenxueaaa- 给 wenxueaaa 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/24/2004 postreply 12:00:12

expecting 2 -thanks- 给 thanks 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/24/2004 postreply 17:45:48

very good, continue please -fromSG- 给 fromSG 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/24/2004 postreply 19:59:35

thanks very much -fromMD- 给 fromMD 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/24/2004 postreply 21:39:31

I am needing this now! -Thanks!- 给 Thanks! 发送悄悄话 (27 bytes) () 10/26/2004 postreply 07:56:42

Question 4 is almost illegal -A_F500_Mgr- 给 A_F500_Mgr 发送悄悄话 (463 bytes) () 10/29/2004 postreply 17:12:49

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”