Affirmative action is over, but college is questionable

来源: elfie 2023-06-29 14:34:53 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1257 bytes)

My husband said he didn't want to invest on kids' college education at all.

Bad investment, he said, it doesn't guarantee higher income anymore.

Trade school is the new trend, and pension fund investment.

His portforlio includes college funds, I know it. Now he has totally lost confidence

on getting returns, because there's AI now. Maybe most of the jobs that seem profitable now

will be gone, for example, computer programming, engineering, medical, law, they all

can be replaced by AI in the future. And my children are still very young. 

Who knows whether it's still worthwhile to go to college in like 14 years?  Be a plumber, electrician or carpenter,  those are guaranteed middle income jobs in the market. You always need to find someone to fix toilet bowls and there are always houses need to be built by carpenters, electricians and welders too.

I think my 11 year old daughter should consider going to college, but my currently 8 and 5 year old boys, maybe they could be spared from it. They can get a trade, they're boys after all. Boys are labor intense to parents and they should work more labor intense jobs.

所有跟帖: 

同事一个孩子当海军陆战队去了,另一个说要学音乐。。老美真的随便让他们去啊。 -borisg- 给 borisg 发送悄悄话 borisg 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 14:37:25

随便,可能只是你看到的结果而已。华裔孩子也有学音乐的啊,当兵的肯定也有,只不过不会来紫檀汇报吧 -两女宝妈- 给 两女宝妈 发送悄悄话 两女宝妈 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 14:40:47

Yep, he said they should have their own choices -elfie- 给 elfie 发送悄悄话 (442 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 14:42:06

不过到那个时候大家都赚不到钱了,就自己当handyman了吧。 -逛逛东西南北- 给 逛逛东西南北 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/29/2023 postreply 15:53:00

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!