在美国紧急时打911,打了之后不说话会如何?

来源: misfit 2018-03-01 13:47:58 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6797 bytes)

Will the police respond if you call 911 and stay on the line but don't say anything?

If I called 911 and then just stayed on the line without saying anything, would they come? Or would they assume it was a prank/accidental call and ignore it? 

I've always been curious about that because sometimes if I'm home alone, I get paranoid about what would happen if someone broke in or something. In which case, I probably couldn't talk to the 911 dispatcher or they would hear me talking and find me (if I was trying to hide or something).  

Luckily, no one has ever broken in or anything (knock on wood) but it doesn't mean that it couldn't happen... I just want to know, *just in case*... 

And also, how long would it take to track down your address by GPS if you're calling from a cell phone? I don't have a house phone in my room and I use my cell for everything. I called 911 on my cell once for a car accident outside my house and they had to ask me my address, the intersection, the township, etc and it took over 10 mins for someone to get there... (Luckily no one was hurt though).
Update: Geez people, I'm not THAT paranoid!!! You can't tell me you have NEVER been home alone and thought "What would I do if such-and-such happens?" I said I was just curious! 

I like to be prepared for unexpected events... 

Or maybe I just watch too much CSI and Law & Order where people DO break in and hurt people.
Update 2: When I was little, I dialed 911 on my grandmom's phone and then hung up real quick and no one came. And later my sister did it too and no one came then either.... So maybe it just depends how busy they are.... Or if you hang up immediately, they assume that it was an accident then....?
Anewer:
First of all, if you call 911 by accident, stay on the line. The dispatcher will get the call regardless of if you hang up the phone or not (911 doesn't work like phones, you can't hang up and the call goes away). Some one responded that they respond to every 911 call to their department. This isn't true. Police officers have no idea of how many calls come in on a daily basis because they are not there answering the phone when it rings, they only know when they are sent to one. When a 911 call comes in the dispatcher will assess the situation. If the caller has already hung up the line, the dispatcher will attempt to call the number back. If there is no answer or only voicemail an officer will be sent. If the phone line is still open and no one is talking to them, they will be sent. If the caller stays on the line and explains a mistake the dispatcher will listen to the tone of voice of the caller and the background noises to determine if there is anything suspicious. At that point it is really up to the dispatcher whether or not to send someone. If you haven't gotten a visit from the police in 40 mins then you're not going to get one. 911 calls are considered an "urgent" matter and are usually there in well under 20 mins. And no, you will not be charged with a crime for mistakenly or accidentally calling 911 unless you harass the 911 center.

所有跟帖: 

警察会来查看,朋友经历过 -新年好运- 给 新年好运 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/01/2018 postreply 17:06:54

警察肯定來, 我朋友家裝有隱密的911call 按鈕在床頭,被小孩無意中按了後,2輛警車幾分鐘就到了, 一個在後院,一個在前院, -sanpablo- 给 sanpablo 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/01/2018 postreply 18:14:32

手机呢,警察能定位吗? -越王- 给 越王 发送悄悄话 越王 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/01/2018 postreply 21:57:01

俺闺女小时候玩电话,按了一串数字其中有911,警察马上就到,看清楚了没事逗着俺闺女玩了一下就走了 -warara- 给 warara 发送悄悄话 warara 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 03/02/2018 postreply 05:51:05

警察会来的 -20070604- 给 20070604 发送悄悄话 20070604 的博客首页 (299 bytes) () 03/02/2018 postreply 08:47:41

小女6个多月时拿电话玩 不知怎么打到911 警察来后说明情况 警察要看孩子 没说什么,第二次又打了警察来后说别给孩子玩电话了 -牛庄人- 给 牛庄人 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/02/2018 postreply 10:38:47

没关系,emergency的电话都是可以追踪查location的, 他们都能找到你的。我们公司就是做相关通信产品的,这是很基本的 -munchenxx- 给 munchenxx 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 03/02/2018 postreply 12:33:57

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”