I found out that there's no need to look for family doctors

来源: elfie 2023-06-18 12:07:41 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2942 bytes)
回答: 怎样在美国看病省钱yunsheng2023-06-17 19:50:30

The county's public health department has its own family medicine, women's med, children's ed, etc... And they charge less than the other doctors. I went there for a physical, no co pay charged. Regular visit is $10 each time, and my co pay is $30. And the doc here is super nice, because she's not under the pressure of the actual boss, i.e. the private equity firms that own the ERs and hospitals. And most of the private practices in our town are being bought out by the hospital system. So the doctors are being evaluated by productivity, i.e. how many patients  they can see per day. They have to work faster, see more patient per day to be counted as efficient.

Public health department is owned by the government, so the doctors are not being subject to such surveillance.  And even if you don't have any income or have very low income, the government will make sure you're being covered or subsidized. No one is being rejected here. It's unbelieavbly nice and orderly. Unfortunately, relatively few in the community knows that. If I knew there's such a service exist , I'd have my health checked more often and seek care when I need.

But for decades, I tried to avoid seeing primary care doctors or get annual well visit because of the awful general pratitioners around town. Those doctors are surly and apparently stressed or bored. They always stared at their computers to fill in the data during the visit and didn't want to chat with the patients. Emotionally, I felt neglected by them. So I didn't go back.

Now this woman doctor I met at the family medicine a few days ago, she's a homey! She even asked why I wanted to work as a substitute teacher because I came to get a physical exam for employement. It is rare!  She listened and sympathized with a patient, which is what I've never experienced before. I remember how little presonal connection I had with my prior doctors, ob gyns, endocrinologist, and how they dismissed me as a less knowledgeable person in medicine.

This woman doctor, however, feels like a nice neighbor to me.  She's a middle aged, mild, black woman that I can relate to. I've been living and working among blacks for more than two decades and feel comfortable talking with them. They are generally the easy going and friendly people. White women of middle ages, on the opposite, is not my type of friends.  They could be aloof,  guarded, or even downright rude. It's just my personal opinion, though. Since my sphere of life rarely gets intertwined with white people of different ages, it could be biased. I live in the Southeast, where minorities are majority. And the school I work in is made of mostly blacks, with both pupils and teachers. 

所有跟帖: 

definitely, routine health screening -yunsheng- 给 yunsheng 发送悄悄话 (47 bytes) () 06/18/2023 postreply 19:26:22

注意看上面第二条 -yunsheng- 给 yunsheng 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 06/18/2023 postreply 19:28:50

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”