Reddit上关于T20录取要求的贴子,挺有意思. link见内

来源: 成功的洋葱 2024-04-30 14:58:50 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (11294 bytes)

Analysis on what T20 Schools WANT : r/ApplyingToCollege (reddit.com)

After 1 year of research:

Stanford - Most well-rounded school in America. If you have 3.5 UW or higher in hard courses, but extraordinary ECs or an EC, you're qualified to get in. They’re looking for the next-gen.

Caltech and MIT - You'll need to be a straight-A (or nearly) a straight-A student in the most challenging courses offered at your school to get in. (Again, nothing set in stone, but this is what I have analyzed after looking at some Naviance scatterplots.) MIT looks for "academically talented students interested in an analytical-based, hands-on education, who have shown true engagement, initiative, curiosity, and community mindedness." Caltech's mission: to advance the borders of human knowledge by doing scientific research.

Duke and Vandy - A balance of nice ECs and very good coursework. I’d say 3.8 UW in rigorous courses is the sweet spot for these schools, but then again, if you have an EXTRAORDINARY EC, you could get in with 3.6 UW, etc.

USC - LOVES seeing great extracurricular activities! I attended one of their webinars, where they were so proud of a student who didn’t have straight A's, but had superb EC activities. Remember that they want a balance of ECs and a strong interest in your major; this is evident in the USC essay prompts themselves. If you’re an engineer, make sure that you’re rounded.

UVA - One of the least rounded schools in the country. They want to see excellent course selection and grades (which the GPA does not convey) first and foremost, then strong recs, essays, and activities. Academics have always come first. It's not about doing unusual or unique things.

UMich - A very rounded school that wants to see students who excel academically, but also those who have a personality and cool extracurriculars that "wow" the admissions officers.

Notre Dame - Extraordinary school with extraordinary people. The people who go to that school somehow have always stood out to me. Very kind and hard-working souls. Definitely aligns with their mission statement: Notre Dame is dedicated to providing a Catholic co-educational program in a --> "value-centered" <--- environment. Be sure that your teachers write you EXCELLENT recommendations. :)

Ivies - Think they’re the kings of the country. Always asking for top gpa........ That’s like the only qualification. And be URM or an athlete

Tufts - looks for students who can balance their extracurricular activities with their academics. They also love students who are passionate about their field (medical, etc.) It is indeed, a pretty rounded school although they look at academics a bit more than UF, etc.

UF and UNC - They absolutely don’t want nerds. They want personality. I’ve talked to the AOs there and that’s what I’ve heard.

UChicago - Essays matter 55%. The only school that looks STRONGLY at essays! But then it should’ve been your dream school to apply to since you had to have thought about the essays and written them over the summer. You can't write anything here. The essays must be thoughtfully written out to have a chance of getting in. :)

Rice - Rice definitely wants students who are very strong academically and who have good SAT/ACT scores. On the non-academic end, the AOs are really looking for students who think differently, much as UChicago does. Have you ever dealt with an unfavorable circumstance but then created something positive out of it? Can you portray something small in a different light? I’m pretty sure that’s what Rice AOs want. Haven't formally attended any of their webinars, so this is just info I got from previous posts on Reddit, online, etc.

Liberal Arts Colleges - I think all LACs are looking for passion. A good balance of academics and ECs. And most importantly, that you’re a rounded student!

UCLA/Berkeley - Academics (since they are, after all, competitive state schools), but if you have great essays or something that sets you apart, definitely apply. A respected Redditor also stated that Berkeley looks for grit. :)

JHU - Looking for innovators with strong GPAs. Let the GPA and SAT/ACT part not deter you though. They love seeing people who’ve invented new things!!

UIUC/Purdue/Northwestern: How have you explored your interest for your major? This is the MAIN thing. For NW though, be sure to have great grades too.

Washington University in St Louis - Mainly looks at SAT/ACT (surprising, huh!) If you have close to a 1500, definitely apply. GPA must be okay too. These guys focus on kids who have a passion for research, so be sure to mention research somewhere.

CMU - Not rounded. You need great grades and SAT/ACT scores. The only other way: have you won hackathons? Etc..

所有跟帖: 

UF and UNC they absolutely don't want nerds. LOL -花街韭菜- 给 花街韭菜 发送悄悄话 (48 bytes) () 04/30/2024 postreply 15:22:46

我们就是典型小中nerd 这两家都录了 -shopUSA- 给 shopUSA 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/30/2024 postreply 16:05:20

我们也录了UF,但是rice拒了。这里是rice要标考高分?满分都没有收啊 -zhudi- 给 zhudi 发送悄悄话 zhudi 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/30/2024 postreply 16:35:33

粗粗看一下, 好像我们的GPA也只有斯坦福和USC了, LOL -jingzhumama- 给 jingzhumama 发送悄悄话 jingzhumama 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/30/2024 postreply 15:48:21

那就认准S了。早说过S录取随机性最大,和成绩甚至EC相关性都不大。 -其乐无穷- 给 其乐无穷 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/30/2024 postreply 15:52:11

对正常人没有那么随机。你不是牛鬼蛇神的话,进来的基本都是高中第一第二名;高SAT,加极强的EC。 -windyLL- 给 windyLL 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/30/2024 postreply 16:36:14

明年一定要申啊 -zeno- 给 zeno 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/30/2024 postreply 16:45:31

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”