分享孩子前些年申请大学时写的一篇文章,文章题目:Uncertainty Towards Uncertainty

来源: 西东人8 2024-04-20 11:52:03 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3551 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 西东人8 ] 在 2024-04-20 12:11:37 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

文章的idea与构思是孩子自己想出来的。我看后,大概提了10多个建议,大概80%的建议被孩子否决了,她认为那是拾人牙慧。20%的建议被采纳了。

As the rhythmic crackling of stiff leaves under my feet blurs into the edges of my consciousness, I confront my long-held confusion towards my personal philosophy. I examine my seemingly paradoxical value system, my innate desire to rationalize clashing with what is best described by Keats as “negative capability.... when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason.” The former has led to my pursuit of mathematics, physics, biology, my constant searches for not only the how but the why behind natural biological processes and moral philosophies, while the latter has allowed me to embrace that which partially derives its beauty from mystery and uncertainty–music, poetry, art.

While a work of art, a Beethoven's Sonata or a Van Gogh painting, is intrinsically linked with mathematics and science through the common thread of order and beauty, it differs in that its beauty is heightened by a sense of unawareness. As my fingers sit upon a keyboard, they take on a life of their own, guided by intuition and emotion. I can never play a Chopin nocturne the same way twice because I do not understand the inner workings of my unconsciousness that control the performance. Oddly enough, I am content with this state of unknowingness, for it only enhances the beauty of the experience.

But at the same time I feel a need to understand the natural world around me by pursuing scientific truths.  From childhood, I was the student who, unsatisfied with formulas and concepts teachers taught me, treated everything I learned as a theory to proven. I remember how, when I first learned the quadratic formula many years ago, I spent all class trying to prove it algebraically and continued my pursuit at home, where a spark of inspiration presented both the solution and the concept of completing the square to me. I yearn to know answers to overarching questions like how life, with all its intricacies, originated from chaos, and whether complex biological processes can possibly be purely expressed by the elegance of mathematics one day.

It is this curiosity, this desire to find definite answers to my questions, that drives me to pursue a career as a scientific researcher. Yet even modern science has confirmed that nature possesses an element of randomness and uncertainty.

"God does not play dice" Einstein once said, denouncing the idea that the universe is governed by inherent randomness and probability. He believed that the universe is guided by natural laws, precise with mathematical beauty and simplicity. A younger me agreed with him and his ideals; however, with Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, quantum mechanics has shown us that Nature is inherently, at the fundamental level, random. Still, it is my own nature to be always reaching for certainty, for higher truths that enlighten and benefit lives.

For now, I make peace with the internal conflict between my identities as both searcher of answers and appreciater of uncertainty, both scientist and artist. I can cherish the beauty of this moment of confusion, the moment before the curtains open to reveal perhaps the answers I'm searching for, or perhaps more unanswered questions.

所有跟帖: 

你孩子的这篇文章写得很好。我好奇你给提了什么建议。 -小松松- 给 小松松 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/20/2024 postreply 12:02:51

具体我记不全了。为了支持她的观点,我记得 我提了Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle。 -西东人8- 给 西东人8 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/20/2024 postreply 12:06:30

孩子申请大学,申请医学院的小作文,我都看过,讨论过。经验是文章一要感人,或观点新颖,并make sense. -西东人8- 给 西东人8 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/20/2024 postreply 12:31:11

点赞你家娃的申学文章。 -马来人- 给 马来人 发送悄悄话 马来人 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/20/2024 postreply 12:46:58

谢谢鼓励 -西东人8- 给 西东人8 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/20/2024 postreply 12:49:01

芝加哥喜欢 -成功的三少爷- 给 成功的三少爷 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/20/2024 postreply 12:56:53

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”