什么大学最适合自己?前两天在网上搜 imposter时,看到这篇,

来源: 数与形 2023-04-23 10:15:50 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (13708 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ 数与形 ] 在 2023-04-23 10:33:56 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mit/comments/12uu12a/impostor_syndrome/

起头的这篇看得我心酸,眼泪差点儿掉下来:

Impostor Syndrome

Feeling extreme doubts that I belong here and that I can get through this program, let alone achieve my goals or attain any type of fulfillment, in one piece. Last week I worked 74 hours, pulled two all-nighters, and got 4 hours of sleep a night on average, and I am still not even close to being on top of my load. The week before that I worked 63 hours. Is this what MIT is supposed to be like?

I cried harder than I can ever remember last night because I was so upset with myself for putting in as much as I was putting in, and not feeling like I was getting anything out. What upsets me so much is I know there are people out there who are putting in less work than me and getting more done, and I just don't know what to change or if I'm just doomed to be like this for the rest of my life.

As the semester comes to an end, I am seriously considering quitting, even though it was a lifelong dream of mine to be here. I still remember the day I got the acceptance letter and how excited I was, but I'm not sure I can sustain myself through this and I know it is only going to get harder.

The other day, I had an oddly subliminal dream, where I somehow got myself into a situation where I was a pilot and had to fly a commercial airplane in a few hours, even though I had no idea what I was doing. Ultimately, as the flight time neared, I ended up choosing to not fly the plane, which I felt like was the right decision. But when I told my mom about my decision, I felt a sense of disappointment from her I've never felt before, and I could tell she was also so worried about all the people I had left behind on the flight. The dream ended with me returning back to feeling like a kid again and play soccer with some old time friends.

然后看到了这篇,完美地诠释了什么是最适合自己的大学:

(可惜文学城不让我贴全文,只好剪掉中间的一部分)

Man, I feel like I could have written this as a freshman. Here are how things worked out for me OP, but everyone's journey is different. Just putting it here as a reference. I went to a public high school (2000-2004) in a very underserved area. Our graduation rate at the time was about 60%. I never really had to work or struggle in high school. Everything was easy and in could basically show up to class, and get an easy A. Hated writing essays and doing homework, and most of the time I didn't have to. I got into MIT.

Then freshman year I hit a wall. With the effects it had on me, might have as well been a physical wall. I remember a week where I pulled two all-nighters in a row and started hallucinating. It was rough. I was not doing well in any of my classes. But I started learning coping mechanisms.

。。。。。。

As for my story, I did not learn the above all in freshman year. I feel like the only thing that made me stay at MIT after freshman year was that summer. I did a UROP and I loved it. I think I figured out that it was what I wanted to do. From then on, I worked q UROP both during the year and the summers and somehow it made things better. It was nice having something I was good at. I also had plenty of time during the summer for activities, explored Boston and Cambridge, and had lots of friends by then. I also learned to sail! Great place to take partners to impress them (but only if you get good enough not to capsize)

I still struggled a lot sophomore and junior year. But I started to figure things out over that time. It wasn't really until sr. year that I really felt like I knew wtf I was doing. Also, I got into my first relationship then, and things felt great. I went from having B- grade average with a few Cs pepperd in there, to almost straight As Sr. Year.

So here is my 2 cent. See if you can stick it out. One of the valuable lessons of MIT is really to show people how hard they can push themselves and when you can't brute force your way out of it, how to find a different path. I feel like my life after MIT has been relatively easy (piece of cake PhD and a postdoc that never felt overwhelming) and I owe most of that to MIT. Feeling like if you make it there (especially if you are one of the people who struggles) then you can do absolutely anything in life.

That being said, nothing is worth your life, or long term mental health. If you feel like you are going to damage your health, cause self harm, or anything of the sort, don't even wait until the end of the semester. Seek help or stop, quit, maybe come back at a different time, maybe don't.

I had two friends who both quit MIT. Both are extremely successful right now. Remember you will always have what got you into MIT.

已有0位网友点赞!

I'm sorry for putting all this out there, I'm just trying to make sense of things, and wondering if maybe it's a message that I should drop out and return back to what made me happy as a kid.

所有跟帖: 

很正常。进入了更大的池塘,是不是真正的宝石,就看上怎么历练了。 -gossipgirl8- 给 gossipgirl8 发送悄悄话 gossipgirl8 的博客首页 (114 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:35:34

对,所以这个人是去对了地方。一直让自己舒服的地方和一直让自己不舒服的地方都不是对和好的地方。 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:38:46

Belonging 和成就感是个人舒服的良性反馈区域,所以访校很重要,起码能感受到belonging是否。 -yzhl888- 给 yzhl888 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:22:05

访校太皮毛了,真正的问题在开学两个月或一个学期后才会被发现 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:23:21

访校可以解决部分问题,不能全部,比如我老二肯定多元化的学校她会比较舒服,这些访校能看出来 -yzhl888- 给 yzhl888 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:25:25

另外如果有担心的选离家近的学校也能改善,一般都是第一学期容易有不fit感,离家近就能常去看看,娃不适应,父母能帮扶一把也 -yzhl888- 给 yzhl888 发送悄悄话 (24 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:30:02

访校确实太多staging ,以往 Y校报可以搜到bulldog staged -米汤- 给 米汤 发送悄悄话 米汤 的博客首页 (3818 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:37:14

当然有粉刷,但还是能感受到差别的 -yzhl888- 给 yzhl888 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 11:16:42

同意 -可能成功的W- 给 可能成功的W 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:25:54

访校跟Starbucks见个陌生人一样,能看出个啥? -avw- 给 avw 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:28:35

我反正能看出东西来,氛围啊,一下子就能感受到 -yzhl888- 给 yzhl888 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:30:54

能看出来的,都不是本质的 -avw- 给 avw 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:38:00

有个数学家,太太也是数学家,记者问他两个数学家结合是不是好处多,男的回答不知道,他只和数学家结过婚,没有和别的人结过婚。 -BeLe- 给 BeLe 发送悄悄话 BeLe 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:30:04

哈哈,答得好 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:31:03

M是有名的难读。Caltech 更是,毕业率在T20里最低 -STEMkid- 给 STEMkid 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:47:00

那跟帖里有人提到一次考试平均分是16,把我给逗乐了。这教授怎么出的题呀 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 10:52:26

女儿说上个学期有一门考试平均40多分 -米奇的厨房- 给 米奇的厨房 发送悄悄话 米奇的厨房 的博客首页 (122 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 12:07:10

可是娃不进去呆几个月谁知道呢? 大学是不变的,娃得去适应 -zaocha2002- 给 zaocha2002 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 11:13:31

跟婚姻差不多,过一段时间有些磨合好了,有些磨合差了 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 12:27:20

这个很正常啊,我家的老二也是开始的时候struggle的厉害,我们一直在帮她适应大学生活和学习,现在已经好多了 -米奇的厨房- 给 米奇的厨房 发送悄悄话 米奇的厨房 的博客首页 (818 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 11:59:59

经过一段struggle能适应下来,就是去对地方了。 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 04/23/2023 postreply 12:26:20

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”