在 STEM 中保持强韧代表什么? Kinnos创始人Katherine Jin接受联合国采访

来源: Jolene22 2023-01-21 05:09:50 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (9206 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Jolene22 ] 在 2023-01-21 05:38:48 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

在送虎迎兔之际,联合国学习和知识发展部采访Kinnos 的联合创始人兼首席技术官Katherine Jin:“在 STEM 中保持强韧代表什么?”

作为移民的女儿,我从出生起就被教导教育的重要性,更具体地说, STEM” - Katherine Jin是 2017 年联合国国际妇女和女童科学日的代言人。她是渴望进入 STEM 职业但又犹豫不决的女孩和女性的榜样。她还入选了福布斯 30 位 30 岁以下精英榜单。

“Katherine 是 Kinnos 的联合创始人兼首席技术官。该公司将产品 Highlight 推向市场,这是一种与现有漂白消毒剂产品相结合的添加剂,可改善去污并确保医护人员的安全。在全球流行病和大流行病时期非常及时地开发了一种产品。”

Kinnos 荣获了无数荣誉: The Top 100 Healthcare Technology Companies of 2021,入围了 2022年爱迪生发明大奖,连续两年新闻周刊最佳感染预防产品获得者。。。

数字不言而喻。自 2021 年以来,世界经济论坛记录到运营部门的性别差距有所扩大,尤其是在 STEM 技能方面。只有 26% 的女性从事与 STEM 相关的领域,这一差异在计算机科学 (19%) 和工程学 (21%) 领域尤为突出。

在夏威夷度假时见缝插针工作。

作为年轻创业者的父母,我们分享他们的成就和快乐,更多的时候是见证他们创业的艰苦和奋斗。这章照片是Katerine and Jason Kang夏威夷划桨时我拍的。那天大海波涛汹涌, 他们在巨浪中划着两片小舟。值得欣慰的是彩虹的尽头有一罐金子。

祝Kinnos宏兔大展,前兔似锦!

What does it mean to be resilient in STEM? Interview with Katherine Jin, co-founder, scientist, and STEM advocate.

Part of the interview:

– When did you realize your passion for science? What was the response of your surrounding environment?

Katherine Jin: From a young age, I‘ve liked solving problems with my hands and enjoyed thinking of little solutions I could implement myself. While my parents pushed me to do well in STEM, they also emphasized that my reading and writing abilities were what made me stand out, especially compared to all the boys who scored higher than me in math and science classes. 

– Did you feel encouraged and supported enough in your interest in high school?

KJ: Like many women, I’ve always struggled massively with self-confidence around my STEM abilities. In middle school when I joined the MATHCOUNTS team, I remember a fellow teammate telling me I was only on the team because they needed at least one girl. In high school, when I wanted to take a computer science elective, my guidance counselor advised me that such class was better suited for boys and that I should instead take journalism (which I did). My parents were worried when I took AP Physics C during my senior year because they thought I wouldn’t be able to keep up with the boys, who they saw having more innate physics ability than me. Therefore, it’s clear to see that my low self-confidence came from societal messaging (peers, teachers, and even parents) around women not being as good as men at STEM. Simultaneously, I had no clear role models in the STEM space to point to – sure there were many successful female scientists, engineers, and inventors, but their stories were never amplified by the media enough to expose me to that kind of inspiration.

– What was the turning point for you to realize that STEM is a passion that you would like to pursue as a career?

KJ: My early work with Kinnos did a lot to boost my confidence. As we began to get traction, awards, and funding – suddenly I was being bombarded by this external validation that I was competent enough. Meanwhile, I was learning a lot more about feminism and how oppression of women and minorities is built into a lot of our society’s systems. I began to realize most of the doubts I had about my abilities didn’t come from me or any inner voice but came from external societal perceptions.

所有跟帖: 

马云攀上联合国是金罩上身。作为江家白手套,与江家休戚与共,幸亏江曾弃械,马前卒可以离场,但仍需联合国头衔保护余留财产。 -mmmwww- 给 mmmwww 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 01/21/2023 postreply 06:24:06

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”