我也觉得合理,太太把房贷都付了,这笔遗产是她自己的钱,如何处置是她的权利,但老公好像不满意 LOL

来源: 加州阳光123 2021-05-03 19:39:22 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2951 bytes)

看作者是如何回复的:呵呵

Dear Working,

Don’t allow your frustration over this inheritance OR the fact that you have been working since 16 to force you into doing something rash. Your wife has used more than one-third of this money to pay off your joint mortgage. Inheritances are not considered community property, so she is clearly taking her time deciding what to do with it. While that may feel like a slap in the face after 35 years of marriage, she is legally entitled to do that, and personally entitled to do so too.

You don’t say why you have $80,000 in credit-card debt and your wife only has $2,800. Assuming it’s notbecause of your children’s college expenses, this disparity may also reveal that you have different spending habits and abilities to manage your money. That’s a lot of money to have on your credit card, and if you racked up that money on miscellaneous expenses, I can understand why your wife did not believe it was her responsibility to pay off your personal debt.

Imagine if the tables were turned and you put $300,000 of your inheritance toward this house, and then your wife turned around and said, ‘Thanks for paying off a chunk of our mortgage, but I feel like this is a good time for a divorce.’ —
Given the disparity in your incomes, I can understand why you feel the way you do. But that does not take into account being a stay-at-home mother, which is a full-time job in itself. That, plus her $20,000-a-year job, suggests to me that she more than contributed her fair share of time and labor to the marriage.

Plus, even though she was paid less than you, let’s assume that she worked as hard as anyone for those 13 years. Bottom line: You both worked.

Your question regarding alimony likely depends on where you live, your individual circumstances, the judge, and the size of the inheritance. Previous cases have shown that the income generated from an inheritance can be a factor in determining alimony, even though inheritance is generally considered separate property. You were the major breadwinner, and based on previous cases on inheritance, it’s unlikely to be a major factor in alimony.

Think of it this way: She has just contributed $300,000 to your life together when she could have kept all of that money, and divorced you. Just imagine if the tables were turned and you put $300,000 of your inheritance toward this house, and then your wife turned around and said, “Thanks for paying off a chunk of our mortgage, but I feel like this is a good time for a divorce.”

If you feel upset now, you would be absolutely furious then.

所有跟帖: 

夫妻各有credit card debt, 说明平素夫妻关系没好到合账的程度,那太太这样处理已经算好的啦 -数与形- 给 数与形 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 05/03/2021 postreply 19:44:20

男的有八万信用卡债务,女的只有2800,说明两人消费观不太一样,太太 -加州阳光123- 给 加州阳光123 发送悄悄话 加州阳光123 的博客首页 (75 bytes) () 05/03/2021 postreply 19:46:20

没错。将来有一天没准会感谢太太这样做了。 -老糊涂2- 给 老糊涂2 发送悄悄话 老糊涂2 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/03/2021 postreply 19:56:45

我看他才是老糊涂了 LOL -加州阳光123- 给 加州阳光123 发送悄悄话 加州阳光123 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 05/03/2021 postreply 19:58:40

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”