Pomona is very strong in sciences and humanities

来源: Mike121212 2020-10-11 16:19:55 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (2821 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Mike121212 ] 在 2020-10-11 22:46:38 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

Pomona is very strong in sciences and humanities.
Jennifer Anne Doudna, 2020 Nobel Prize winner in Chemistry, is one of its alumni and so was Dr. Roger Revelle, the famed UCSD founder who pioneered research on global warming and mentored Al Gore on the issue (Revelle College at UCSD was named after him).
早期的中国经济学家陈翰笙graduated from Pomona 100 years ago.
https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%99%88%E7%BF%B0%E7%AC%99

I heard that Pomona's pre-law and pre-med graduates have a higher success rate in getting into law schools and medical schools than Stanford's.
However, Pomona is relatively weak in engineering (which I believe is by design and not due to lack of resources). In fact, it does not have an engineering program of its own unless you consider its Computer Science programm (which is very good) as one. It does have a 3-2 engineering program with Caltech and WUSTL, in which the student spends 3 years in Pomona and 2 years in Caltech or WUSTL. It has a feel of an elite East Coast liberal arts college.

Pomona is among the top 10 richest colleges in the US in terms of endowment dollars per student:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

So it is more generous in terms of financial aid than Harvey Mudd, which my kid attends. Both Pomona and Harvey Mudd practice need-blind admission. But neither one offers merit-based scholarships. Pomona, Harvey Mudd, and Claremont Mekenna students often are accepted to top-notch grad programs. For example, about 3 years ago Harvey Mudd's graduating class size was 196, 48 of which went to grad schools (6 to Stanford and 4 to MIT).

Overall, Pomona students are happier than Mudd students due to better work-life balance. On the average, a Mudd student takes 7 classes per semester while a Pomona student does 5. My kid envies some of her Pomona friends for not having classes on Friday. It is not uncommon for Mudd students to take mid-terms at 8:00 o'clock Sunday night.

The Claremont Colleges (Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, Pitzer, Pomona, and Scripps) are well-known among the educated elites and graduate school admissions officers (East Coast schools included) but not to the average folks in the US.

IMHO, Pomona is as good as Stanford unless student is interested in Engineering, Computer Science, or entrepreneurship .

所有跟帖: 

严重同意! -Mike121212- 给 Mike121212 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/11/2020 postreply 17:45:09

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”