Co-founder of Qualcomm went to Cornell's School of Hotel

来源: Mike121212 2020-09-07 21:33:01 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6180 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ Mike121212 ] 在 2020-09-07 22:42:34 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
回答: Cornell的酒店管理专业在美国第一锦衣卫2020-09-07 19:47:36

Yes, Cornell's School of Hotel Administration is one of the best in the field.

Co-founder and former CEO of Qualcomm, Dr. Irwin Jacobs,  went to Cornell's School of Hotel Administration because his parents were in the restaurant buniess. But he transferred to its School of Engineering during his sophomore year.
The rest is history and today Qualcomm is a $130B company.

The following is part of the Irwin Jacobs' oral history recording, an interesting read with regard to seeking advice from high school counselors or choosing a college major.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I graduated high school in 1950. It was just after World War II and the direction of the economy was not yet obvious. My senior counselor suggested a good agricultural school, but I was not interested. My folks were in the restaurant business, so he next suggested the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration. I applied and was accepted. After about a year and a half, though, I decided engineering was more interesting. That decision was partly driven by a roommate who was an engineer. He egged me on by saying, “You couldn’t possibly get those grades if you were in engineering.” I could only listen to that challenge for so long. During the winter break, I went to the Dean of Men and told him I wanted to transfer from hotel administration to engineering. He said, “You mean engineering to hotel,” and we went through that loop awhile. Then he asked which area of engineering and I mentioned either engineering physics or electrical engineering. He had a faculty friend in electrical engineering, and that’s where I ended up, although I took a great math sequence in engineering physics. Cornell was a five-year school and I had been in hotel administration a year and a half, so I lost a year’s time and graduated in 1956. One of my last courses at Cornell was a vacuum tube course with laboratory, which involved some interesting field mapping work but which otherwise has not been too useful but did support a job at Cornell testing failed vacuum tubes returned from World War II. My senior thesis involved leading a team to build a digital differential analyzer using parts including a magnetic drum from an IBM 604. Interestingly, the Hotel School courses in accounting and business law have ultimately proved very valuable.

I attended graduate school at MIT, receiving my Master’s in 1957 and my Doctorate in 1959. At Cornell, I had taken electromagnetic theory courses from Henry Booker and antenna courses from William Gordon and was leaning towards graduate work in that area. After arriving at MIT, I quickly became involved with leaders in information theory, including Claude ShannonNorbert WienerRobert FanoPeter Elias and Y. W. Lee. I became quite interested in information theory, and luckily decided to pursue communications. My doctoral thesis involved probabilistic networks. After graduating, I stayed on to teach. In the 1964-65 academic year, I took a leave of absence to be a NASA Resident Research Fellow at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in California. That was where I first spent significant time with Andy [Andrew J.] Viterbi and we became good friends.

Soon after returning to MIT I received a call from Henry Booker, the professor from Cornell. He told me he was going out to start a EE department at the University of California at San Diego, which was then a brand new university, and invited me to come out and join him. At first I turned it down, but my wife, Joan, and I had enjoyed California and agreed an opportunity to teach at a brand new university was interesting. The fact that it was a public university meant a broader selection of students, and the opportunity to form a new curriculum was a challenge. After thinking about it for two days, I called back and accepted the invitation.

https://ethw.org/Oral-History:Irwin_Jacobs#:~:text=About%20Irwin%20Jacobs&text=He%20joined%20the%20faculty%20of,with%20Andrew%20Viterbi%20in%201971.&text=Andrew%20Viterbi%20Oral%20History%20provides%20further%20assessment%20of%20Linkabit%20and%20Qualcomm.

所有跟帖: 

another alumni is chuck feeney who donated total around $1b to c -quantnj- 给 quantnj 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 09/07/2020 postreply 22:25:18

because his parents were in the restaurant buniess. But ... -宝马奔驰- 给 宝马奔驰 发送悄悄话 (291 bytes) () 09/08/2020 postreply 05:00:56

能随便转? -像龟的兔子- 给 像龟的兔子 发送悄悄话 像龟的兔子 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 09/08/2020 postreply 05:31:15

私立之间 -凊荷- 给 凊荷 发送悄悄话 (62 bytes) () 09/08/2020 postreply 05:57:06

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”