Info: CARS = Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills section

来源: 嘴大吃八方 2020-09-02 20:07:10 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (3059 bytes)

This section is one of 4 sections of MCAT,  with the max score = 132

critical analysis and reasoning skills (commonly referred to as CARS), is based largely on inference.

Because of that, the CARS section may be more difficult to study for. Petros Minasi, senior director of pre-health programs at Kaplan Test Prep, offered some tips to help students in their preparation for CARS.

Read complex content

The CARS section is specifically testing students on their ability to read a passage and answer questions based on that passage. They fall into three categories: comprehension-based questions, questions that one could answer based on reasoning within the text, and questions that one could answer based on reasoning beyond the text.

So, Minasi said, it makes sense to become a better reader. One way to do that is by reading sophisticated periodicals.

“Early on, students try to take everything in at once, as opposed to being able to look at a specific paragraph and summarize it,” he said. “You need to learn how to go through the passages and understand the purpose of each paragraph and the passage as a whole. The best way to do so is by reading the newspaper. I don’t mean your grocery store tabloid. We’re talking about high-level writing, like the The New Yorker, The Economist or The Wall Street Journal.”

Start preparing early

CARS is likely to be different from any other type of exam a student has taken, so it will probably require the most prep time.

“There’s nothing that prevents a student from thinking about that section even if they are not formally preparing for the MCAT,” Minasi said. “Students can take action and expose themselves to the types of material that the section will cover, which is the humanities and the social sciences. It is a core analysis skill that will carry forward into medical school.”

Look for specific words and phrasing

While the passages are all going to be different, they are likely to carry some common phrases. An ability to recognize those can go a long way.

“We train students on how to read the passages and identify keywords,” he said. “For instance, if I were to say to you, ‘in conclusion,’ regardless of what I’m about to say, you already know it’s my conclusion. So we train students on how to see those keywords and transitionary words that are road signs saying this is where you’re going to end up.”

https://www.ama-assn.org/residents-students/preparing-medical-school/4-tips-help-you-master-mcat-s-cars-section

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”