Meeting people incollege is not too hard, but you have to be open to exploring and making new connections in order to make real friends. I made new friends in various settings: dorms, classes, clubs, summer internships.
There are often many events available for freshmen to attend in their dorms.
My recommendation is: go!
I'm a shy and introverted person, but I put myself out of my comfort zone all the time, and this helped me to grow into the person that I am today.
Every freshmen in college is new there, no one knows anyone else, so just go ahead and talk to someone.
1. Go to your dorm's lounge and join the conversation that people sitting there are having.
2. Chat with your classmates before class, and invite them to lunch or dinner after class.
3. Join lots of clubs. Try on clubs like you're trying on new clothes.
4. Go to the intro meetings, but don't feel obligated to go back if you don't think you'll like it.
5. Exchange numbers with people you think are cool and then invite them to go to fun events with you.
College is full of fun events, from interesting guest lectures, to activity fairs, to therapy dog sessions during finals. These are all interesting ontheir own, but an even better way to get to know people is to do stuff with them.