Smith College 任重道远

来源: Francine 2018-08-05 06:45:13 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (30926 bytes)

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/college-employee-placed-leave-alleged-racial-profiling-student-145517427--abc-news-topstories.html

College employee placed on leave after alleged racial profiling of student

COURTNEY HAN and AMANDA MAILE

College employee placed on leave after alleged racial profiling of student originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

The Smith College employee who called police on a black student who she believed looked "out of place" has been placed on leave amid an ongoing investigation into the incident, according to a statement from the school.

"We are committed to timely and transparent communication throughout this investigation, and will send further updates to the community as soon as they are available," reads a statement from Smith College Interim Director of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity, Amy Hunter.

Oumou Kanoute, a student at Smith College working as a teaching assistant and residential adviser, was eating lunch in a dorm common area on July 31 when an officer with the Northampton Police Department approached her.

"I did nothing wrong, I wasn't making any noise or bothering anyone. All I did was be black," Kanoute wrote on Facebook. "It's outrageous that some people question my being at Smith College, and my existence overall as a women of color."

(MORE: White Yale student calls police on napping black schoolmate, college vows to become 'truly inclusive')

Videos of the incident recorded by Kanoute captured audio of her interaction with the responding officer. In one video, Kanoute can be heard explaining to the officer that she was on a break and relaxing in the common area.

"No students of color should have to explain why they belong at prestigious white institutions," Kanoute wrote.

(MORE: #LivingWhileBlack raises awareness of racial profiling in the wake of high-profile incidents)

In an interview with Boston ABC affiliate WCVB, Kanoute said she felt she needed to speak up.

PHOTO: Oumou Kanoute wipes away a tear while talking to a reporter about an incident where a person called campus police to report her for looking out of place at Smith College in Northampton, Mass. (WCVB)

“If you see the video, I was really calm, but on the inside I wasn’t calm. I was terrified,” Kanoute told WCVB.

A transcript of the 911 call was also released by campus police, in which the caller, whose name is redacted. The transcript provided alternates between "her" and "he."

"I was just walking through here in the front foyer of [REDACTED] and we have a person sitting there laying down in the living room area over here," the caller tells the dispatcher. "I didn’t approach her or anything but um he seems to be out of place. … Umm … I don’t see anybody in the building at this point and uh I don’t know what he’s doing in there just laying on the couch."

According to Kanoute, several of her friends at Smith College have had experiences similar to hers. "To all the people who are students of color at other predominantly white institutions just know that you belong, you worked your butt off to get in and don't let anyone take that experience away from you or bring you down."

Kathleen McCartney, president of Smith College, addressed the incident and publicly apologized to Kanoute.

PHOTO: Oumou Kanoute is working as a teaching assistant and residential adviser at Smith College in Northampton, Mass., for the summer. (WCVB)

(MORE: Police release bodycam video after black Airbnb guests threaten to sue, alleging racial profiling)

“I begin by offering the student involved my deepest apology that this incident occurred and to assure her that she belongs in all Smith spaces,” McCartney wrote in a letter to the college. "This painful incident reminds us of the ongoing legacy of racism and bias in which people of color are targeted while simply going about the business of their daily lives."

In response to the incident all staff members at the college will be required to participate in anti-bias training beginning this fall, McCartney wrote.

VIDEO: The president of Smith College says an investigation will be conducted to review the incident. (WCVB)

"We are committed to timely and transparent communication throughout this investigation, and will send further updates to the community as soon as they are available," said Amy Hunter, Smith College's interim director of Inclusion, Diversity and Equity.

The college said Sanghavi Law Office in Brookline, Massachusetts, would be conducting the investigation.

No police report was filed in the incident, as the officer found the complaint to be unfounded.

ABC News' Will Gretsky contributed to this report.

所有跟帖: 

言论自由要付出代价的。 -和畅- 给 和畅 发送悄悄话 和畅 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 06:48:13

乱报警浪费公共资源怎能算是言论自由?如果我记得没错,乱报警让警察无故白跑是违法的。 -Porcelana- 给 Porcelana 发送悄悄话 Porcelana 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:00:22

是我看错了。最近确实感到种族主义有抬头的趋势。另外说到言论自由,很多人因为Facebook上 -和畅- 给 和畅 发送悄悄话 和畅 的博客首页 (62 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:13:20

种族歧视抬头对亚裔没好处,对亚裔的威害比黑人更严重。 -LVHawaii- 给 LVHawaii 发送悄悄话 LVHawaii 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:17:29

这个现在越来越是concern了。 -2008VGirl- 给 2008VGirl 发送悄悄话 2008VGirl 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:50:08

种族歧视一直有,类似的故事以前也听说过 -twoboys_mom- 给 twoboys_mom 发送悄悄话 (41 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:20:02

前几天耶鲁宿舍发生过几乎一模一样的事。这问题其实值得讨论讨论。但是大环境不允许。 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (122 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 06:52:48

详情说说怎么回事儿? -twoboys_mom- 给 twoboys_mom 发送悄悄话 (131 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:36:10

耶鲁的事是有人看到女生宿舍公用空间里半夜有个黑女在电脑上工作,就报警说有不明来历的人在宿舍。那人其实是个耶鲁研究生在写论文 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (655 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:44:12

明白了,多谢! -twoboys_mom- 给 twoboys_mom 发送悄悄话 (195 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:48:29

看到女生宿舍公用空间(耶鲁还有女生宿舍?) -czhz- 给 czhz 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 08:11:48

这不是种族问题而是法律问题。乱报警使得警察放下正经事不干无缘无故白跑一趟浪费公共资源是犯法的,应该起诉。 -Porcelana- 给 Porcelana 发送悄悄话 Porcelana 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:11:34

两者都有关,前者是主要问题。 -和畅- 给 和畅 发送悄悄话 和畅 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:14:30

警察每天接到电话去check的基本都是这种情况。不可能要求每个报警电话都是犯罪进行时 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (86 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 07:29:55

这个做法首先原则上是把执法的责任推给了公民。另外,从practical的角度来说,也无法实现,是不是乱报警这标准怎么定? -Francine- 给 Francine 发送悄悄话 Francine 的博客首页 (388 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 08:23:22

你对NYT那个亚裔女娃Twitter上骂白人的事件怎么看? -backyardfun- 给 backyardfun 发送悄悄话 (64 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 09:35:51

这个白—痴的心理不用猜测,自己明明白白地反复说了,就是针对白人,这也calibrate了NYT的等级。 -Francine- 给 Francine 发送悄悄话 Francine 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 09:43:16

她UCB大学,H读的法啊 -backyardfun- 给 backyardfun 发送悄悄话 (305 bytes) () 08/05/2018 postreply 10:26:25

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”