在Quora上接着瞎逛,看到这篇被哈佛录取的 写bra的essay。好文转帖,:

来源: 糖果果 2017-10-15 15:14:31 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (6779 bytes)
回答: 斯坦福本科生 entitled, lazier?糖果果2017-10-15 14:09:39

I applied to Harvard as a joke. It was the last school added to my list, and I only did so because the application was very simple. Since I didn’t think I would get in, I didn’t bother trying to impress anyone and just wrote about what made me happy, which in this case were bras and stars. On the official acceptance letter which came in the mail, my admissions officer had hand-written, “I really enjoyed reading your bra essay!”

The prompt actually came from a supplemental question on the UChicago application which called for a 500 word essay about an article of clothing that was important to you. I recycled it for my H app as an additional informational essay, and here it is below for your reading pleasure :)

I remember the first time I wore a bra. I came home from school in the fifth grade, and my mom handed me a white cloth to put on beneath my shirt. “You’re a big girl now,” she said, “You need to wear this.” From that moment on, my life was forever changed.

That same year, I was taught that the sun would someday die, and I, feeling the pressure of the contraption beneath my shirt, realized that my childhood, too, would eventually dissipate just like the sun.

The first bra paved way for a second, and then a third, and then, by the fourth bra I had advanced to the Lady Type, the ones that my mom wore.

With every new bra, I cast away the former. Somewhere in the dark abyss of my closet, there is a heap of abandoned bras, tiny, worn-out filaments that had once shone so brightly in their days of use, but had faded away into old, neglected remnants of days long gone. They sit against a corner of the universe and gather dust like dead stars— without life, without luster, without vigor.

With every new bra, I felt the unmerciful hand of change push me further down a path with which I had no return. The bras no longer had the simplicity of the first; they came equipped with more folds and stitches and frills and patterns that were designed to counteract the growing complexity of my responsibilities.

Sometimes, when I found myself too big for the current one, I was either unable to or unwilling to get another because of the implications behind the transition—if every new bra meant the death of another star, then the adult world was nothing to me but a lifetime of darkness. I tried so hard not to kill any more stars, but my resistance was not enough, and I found myself adding layer after layer to the ever-increasing pile of bras. With this mindset, I prepared myself for the end, for the moment in which my entire universe would be engulfed by the black hole forming in my closet.

But I was saved.

I learned that life does not occur linearly, but in cycles: New stars can arise from the ashes of former ones, and the darkness of death is replenished by the light of birth. Thus, what is created is only a reinterpretation of the past in a form that is fitted for the present. In wearing a new bra, I was not casting away my old self but reorienting myself to accommodate to changing times.

Change, as overwhelming as it feels, is only natural—the pile of bras will only get bigger. Though it is hard to accept the existence of the bra in my life, I realize that I cannot live without it, for, as we grow older, things tend to droop more easily, and there is nothing more reliable than a bra to give us the inner support necessary to have a firm hold on life.

所有跟帖: 

前两天有人贴过,写的不错言之有物。 -2008VGirl- 给 2008VGirl 发送悄悄话 2008VGirl 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/15/2017 postreply 15:34:03

啊!我算是很努力地看帖了,发觉还是经常看漏不少。 -糖果果- 给 糖果果 发送悄悄话 糖果果 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 10/15/2017 postreply 15:39:07

原来哈佛essay也就这样就行了啊。是挺有新意,但是其实立意很一般啊。让我想起了小时候的作文。 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (233 bytes) () 10/15/2017 postreply 17:20:20

我想了想,其实立意啊新意啊都会很快用旧。这个应该是赢在大胆,不怕输。 -糖果果- 给 糖果果 发送悄悄话 糖果果 的博客首页 (223 bytes) () 10/15/2017 postreply 18:29:58

所以要打擦边球?LOL.我们以前写什么小草松树梅花的,都写滥了。其实跟她这意思差不多。归根结底还是bra起作用了。哈哈 -greenoasis- 给 greenoasis 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 10/15/2017 postreply 18:33:41

我觉得是只能放手一搏。能不能中靠天意。如果不搏,哪个也中不了。搏一下,也许有一个能中呢 -糖果果- 给 糖果果 发送悄悄话 糖果果 的博客首页 (220 bytes) () 10/15/2017 postreply 18:57:08

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”