My Case for Going to Ivy

来源: yude 2016-02-28 14:35:51 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1477 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ yude ] 在 2016-02-28 14:54:20 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

My wife has been  asking  me to justify why we should send our daughter to an Ivy league school while she can go to either of our state university of her choice for free. Her point is that several  local kids went out of state for a BS degree and end up coming back to attend medical schools here. Why waste the time money going to to a far away city?

I do not have a clear answer until recently. I said if we had local connections, I do not mind she stay with us. The reality is that we do not have connections to offer to her. If we ask her to stay locally, the only thing we can offer her is free laundry, frequent visits of each other, free , occasional  home cooked food. With everything else being equal, what else does she gain from staying with us? If we send her away, she would have gain an opportunity to explore a new world, an opportunity to interact with people from all over the world.  If at the end, she decides to return to our home state for medical school, she has had her opportunity to see the world. Along with the opportunity, it come a cost.  The cost is our share of responsility as parents.

In the end, it is her opportunity. I feel that we are robbing her of the opportunity if we ask her to stay locally. She cried with joy when she learned that she was accepted. I could not forget that moment.

所有跟帖: 

z -rubikscube- 给 rubikscube 发送悄悄话 rubikscube 的博客首页 (12 bytes) () 02/28/2016 postreply 14:38:29

A new chapter -yude- 给 yude 发送悄悄话 yude 的博客首页 (478 bytes) () 02/28/2016 postreply 15:21:11

回本州上医学院,一是录取机会大多了,二是学费合算 -keessa- 给 keessa 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 02/28/2016 postreply 15:27:53

应该是孩子做最后的选择。但如果想上本州的医学院,在州大上本科而进医学院的机会可能比上藤校要高。 -高山峻岭流水人家- 给 高山峻岭流水人家 发送悄悄话 高山峻岭流水人家 的博客首页 (0 bytes) () 02/28/2016 postreply 16:31:37

让孩子选 -derKerl- 给 derKerl 发送悄悄话 derKerl 的博客首页 (137 bytes) () 02/28/2016 postreply 16:42:31

楼主是好爹 -葛观- 给 葛观 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 02/28/2016 postreply 18:23:49

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”