回复:回复:回复:Ivy and the rest of elite colleges

来源: PALandlord 2011-04-12 12:05:32 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1783 bytes)

None is saying there is an absolute standards for excellence. For example,while Yale is widely recognized as a top Ivy school, it is also called one of the most overated schools. Except for its law school, how much else in Yale can you say is living up to its reputation?

What do you define as "serious stuff"? Only stuff such as nuclear chains and rocket science is "serious"? You have to understand higher education is more than one dimensional. Just hard science does not represent the full picture and spectrum of higher education. Even for computer science (one area in hard science), I am under impression that the fastest comupter in 1940's was from Penn.

OK, now let me inform you some fact about Penn, you can call me baised since I have stayed there for years before I moved on, but I am not going to disregard anything that's true, for example Columbia is certainly better known than Penn in China.  Currently, Penn's medical school is #2 in the country, its hospital has been one of the top 10 in country for many years; its business school I guess I do not need to say much; its law school is also one of Top 10. How many schools have all thses schools in top 10? And according to online sources I came across, its annual spending is #1 among all universitise in the country (Yes, even Harvard included!). Although I have some difficulty in figuring out why they do and how they can do that with the relatively small endowment.

The bottom line, if you argue schools like MIT and Chicago are good, which is fine with me, then I think you need to stop keep pushing Yale to the front. Since at the fields you emphasized, there is really not much worth to be mentioned for Yale.

所有跟帖: 

回复:回复:回复:回复:Ivy and the rest of elite colleges -Yangtze430030- 给 Yangtze430030 发送悄悄话 Yangtze430030 的博客首页 (266 bytes) () 04/12/2011 postreply 13:09:10

回复:回复:回复:回复:回复:Ivy and the rest of elite colleges -PALandlord- 给 PALandlord 发送悄悄话 (280 bytes) () 04/12/2011 postreply 14:25:10

回复:回复:回复:回复:回复:回复:Ivy and the rest of elite colleges -Yangtze430030- 给 Yangtze430030 发送悄悄话 Yangtze430030 的博客首页 (9774 bytes) () 04/21/2011 postreply 08:37:08

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”