My translation in English inside:

来源: xia23 2023-02-04 07:32:20 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1764 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ xia23 ] 在 2023-02-05 06:07:02 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.
回答: 语言是什么?berlinsky2023-02-03 18:32:14

I have tried to translate the sentence into English.

The original German is: 

Die Sprache ist gleichsam die äußerliche Erscheinung des Geistes* der Völker**; ihre Sprache ist ihr Geist und ihr Geist ihre Sprache; man kann sich beide nie identisch genug denken.                                         

* single, genetive.

** plural, genetive.

"Goolge translate" translated the sentence into English as the following:

The language is, so to speak, the external manifestation of the spirit of the people; their language is their mind and their mind their language; one can never imagine the two identical enough.

I have tried to translate the sentence into:

The language is, as it were,  the appearance of the mind of the people. Their language is their mind and their mind is their language; people could never imagine enough that  two languages are identical.

"Geist" is translated into “mind”.

"die äußerliche Erscheinung”  could be translated into “appearance” in p. 1322 In Harper Collins German Unabridged Dictionary (5th edition, Collins, NY, 2004).

"ihre Sprache ist ihr Geist und ihr Geist ihre Sprache" is translated into “Their language is their mind and their mind is their language".

Hope people who know German could correct my translation and people who use English could correct my English.

Thank you.

所有跟帖: 

德语转英语,高级,高人! -燕然山- 给 燕然山 发送悄悄话 (0 bytes) () 02/04/2023 postreply 16:39:03

谢谢。向您道歉。 -xia23- 给 xia23 发送悄悄话 xia23 的博客首页 (324 bytes) () 02/05/2023 postreply 05:51:43

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”