To. W. P.
By George Santayana (桑塔亚纳)
我心几许,流逝随君。With you a part of me hath passed away;
意念之内,众人成林。For in the peopled forest of my mind,
独木飘零,寒风凛凛。A tree made leafless by this wintry wind,
青葱春色,褪去难寻。Shall never don again its green array.
教堂炉畔,村路海湾。Chapel and fireside, country road and bay,
多少友情,散失无边。Have something of their friendliness resigned;
纵有余温,得之亦艰。Another, if I would, I could not find,
一朝一暮,老去经年。And I am grown much older in a day.
记忆深处,依然珍藏。But yet I treasure in my memory,
你的慈善,青春飞扬。Your gift of charity and young heart's ease,
可亲可敬,可爱荣光。And the dear honor of your amity;
我曾拥有,丰富绵长。For these once mine, my life is rich with these.
思之衡之,盖莫能分。And I scarce know which part may greater be --
君之遗我,我之奉君。What I keep of you , or you rob from me.