民主不会在一个想成为独裁者的人 重返白宫时幸存下来 by Robert De Niro

来源: 冬绿 2023-11-29 11:04:04 [] [博客] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (37578 bytes)

民主不会在一个想成为独裁者的人

重返白宫时幸存下来

by Robert De Niro

I’ve spent a lot of time studying bad men.  I’ve examined their characteristics, their mannerisms, the utter banality of their cruelty. Yet there’s something different about Donald Trump. When I look at him, I don’t see a bad man. Truly. 

我花了很多时间研究坏人。我研究过他们的特征、举止和他们残忍的平庸之恶。然而,唐纳德·特朗普不同寻常。当我看着他时,我看到的不是一个坏人。真的。

I see an evil one. 

我看到的是一个邪恶的人。

Over the years, I’ve met gangsters here and there. This guy tries to be one, but he can’t quite pull it off. There’s such a thing as “honor among thieves.” Yes, even criminals usually have a sense of right and wrong.  Whether they do the right thing or not is a different story — but — they have a moral code, however warped.

这些年来,我在这里或那里遇到过黑帮分子。这家伙试图成为其中之一,但他无法完全胜任。有一种说法叫做盗亦有道。是的,即使是罪犯通常也有是非感。他们是否做正确的事是另一回事——但是——他们有道德准则,无论多么扭曲。

Donald Trump does not. He’s a wannabe tough guy with no morals or ethics. No sense of right or wrong. No regard for anyone but himself — not the people he was supposed to lead and protect, not the people he does business with, not the people who follow him, blindly and loyally, not even the people who consider themselves his “friends.” He has contempt for all of them.

唐纳德·特朗普则不然。他是一个想成为硬汉的人,没有道德和伦理。没有对错之感。除了他自己之外,不尊重任何人——不尊重他应该领导和保护的人,不尊重与他做生意的人,不尊重盲目而忠诚地追随他的人,甚至不尊重那些自认为是他的朋友的人。他对他们所有人都充满蔑视。

We New Yorkers got to know him over the years that he poisoned the atmosphere and littered our city with monuments to his ego.  We knew first hand that this was someone who should never be considered for leadership.  We tried to warn the world in 2016.

多年来,我们纽约人逐渐了解他。他毒化社会氛围,用自我陶醉的纪念物污染我们的城市。我们亲身经历过,这个人绝不应该被考虑担任领导职务。我们在2016年试图警告世界。

The repercussions of his turbulent presidency divided America and rattled New York City beyond imagination.  Remember how we were jolted by crisis in early 2020, as a virus swept the world. We lived with Donald Trump’s  bombastic behavior every day on the national stage, and we suffered as we saw our neighbors piling up body bags.

他动荡不安的总统任期分裂着美国,让纽约市受到了无法想象的冲击。还记得2020年初,当一种病毒席卷全球时,我们是如何被危机所震撼的吗?与我们每天相伴的是唐纳德·特朗普在国家舞台上夸夸其谈。记得当看到装着邻居们的尸袋堆积如山时,我们所遭受的痛苦吗?

The man who was supposed to protect this country put it in peril, because of his recklessness and impulsiveness. It was like an abusive father ruling the family by fear and violent behavior.  That was the consequence of New York’s warning getting ignored. Next time, we know it will be worse.

本应保护这个国家的人由于他的鲁莽和冲动而将其置于危险之中。这就像一个以恐惧和暴力行为统治家庭的虐待父亲。这就是纽约的警告被忽视的后果。下一次,我们知道情况会更糟。

Make no mistake: the twice-impeached, 4-time indicted Donald Trump is still a fool. But we can’t let our fellow Americans write him off like one. Evil thrives in the shadow of dismissive mockery, which is why we must take the danger of Donald Trump very seriously.

不要误解:两次被弹劾、四次被起诉的唐纳德·特朗普仍然是个傻瓜。但我们不能让我们的美国同胞把他当作一个傻瓜。邪恶在轻蔑嘲笑的阴影中茁壮。这就是为什么我们必须非常认真地对待唐纳德·特朗普的危险。

So today we issue another warning. From this place where Abraham Lincoln spoke — right here in the beating heart of New York — to the rest of America: 

This is our last chance.

因此,今天我再次发出警告。从亚伯拉罕·林肯发表讲话的地方 —— 在纽约跳动的心脏—— 向美国其他地区:

这是我们的最后机会。

Democracy won’t survive the return of a wannabe dictator.

民主不会在一个想成为独裁者的人重返白宫时幸存下来。

And it won’t overcome evil if we are divided.

如果我们分裂,邪恶将不会被战胜。

So what do we do about it?  I know I’m preaching to the choir here.  What we’re doing today is valuable, but we have to take today into tomorrow – take it outside these walls.   We have to reach out to the half of our country who have ignored the hazards of Trump and, for whatever reason, support elevating him back into the White House.  They’re not stupid, and we must not condemn them for making a stupid choice.  Our future doesn’t just depend on us. It depends on them.

那么我们该怎么办呢?我知道我正在这里向唱诗班布道。我们今天所做的事情很有价值,但我们必须把今天带入明天——把它带到唱诗班的墙外。我们必须向我们国家的一半人伸出援手,他们忽视了特朗普的危险,无论出于何种原因,都支持他重新入主白宫。他们并不愚蠢,我们不能谴责他们做出了愚蠢的选择。我们的未来不仅仅取决于我们自己,还取决于他们。

Let’s reach out to Trump’s followers with respect.  Let’s not talk about “democracy.”  

让我们以尊重的方式接触特朗普的追随者。不要谈论民主

“Democracy” may be our holy grail, but to others it is just a word, a concept, and in their embrace of Trump, they’ve already turned their backs on it.  Let’s talk about right and wrong.  Let’s talk about humanity.  Let’s talk about kindness.  Security for our world.  Safety for our families.  Decency.  Let’s welcome them back.  We won’t get them all, but we can get enough to end the nightmare of Trump, and fulfill the mission of this “Stop Trump Summit.

民主对我们来说可能是至高无上的圣杯,但对其他人来说,它只是一个词,一个概念,在他们拥护特朗普的时候,他们已经对其背离。让我们谈论对与错。让我们谈论人性。让我们谈论善良。我们的世界的安全。我们家庭的安全。体面。让我们欢迎他们回来。我们不会得到他们全部,但我们可以得到足够的人来结束特朗普噩梦。

更多我的博客文章>>>
请您先登陆,再发跟帖!