应该把这段话放到它的 context 里读,单抽出来不太公平

来源: STEMkid 2023-11-03 08:43:32 [] [旧帖] [给我悄悄话] 本文已被阅读: 次 (1480 bytes)
本文内容已被 [ STEMkid ] 在 2023-11-03 08:45:49 编辑过。如有问题,请报告版主或论坛管理删除.

In that glowing Sequoia profile, Mr. Bankman-Fried said: “I’m very skeptical of books. I don’t want to say no book is ever worth reading, but I actually do believe something pretty close to that.” He didn’t like movies, either.

It’s impossible to read the sad saga of Mr. Bankman-Fried without thinking he, and many of those around him, would have been better off if they had spent less time at math camp and more time in English class. Sometimes in books, the characters find their moral compass; in the best books, the reader does, too.

As I read about Mr. Bankman-Fried, the historical drama “A Man for All Seasons,” once a staple for high school students, kept coming to mind. It’s about a man who knows right from wrong and a man who doesn’t. Richard Rich is a little like Mr. Bankman-Fried: a young man with huge ambitions and no scruples. He begs Thomas More for a place at court. More tells Rich he would be a good teacher.

Who would know if I were a good teacher? Rich asks scornfully.

“You, your pupils, your friends, God,” More replies. “Not a bad public, that.”

Rich rejects the quiet life, betrays More and is rewarded with a post in Wales. Viewers are given to understand that he loses his soul. Mr. Bankman-Fried rejected the quiet life, betrayed nearly everyone he knew — and ended up with neither wealth nor Wales.

所有跟帖: 

要是我写 -天意悠悠- 给 天意悠悠 发送悄悄话 (422 bytes) () 11/03/2023 postreply 09:21:23

请您先登陆,再发跟帖!

发现Adblock插件

如要继续浏览
请支持本站 请务必在本站关闭/移除任何Adblock

关闭Adblock后 请点击

请参考如何关闭Adblock/Adblock plus

安装Adblock plus用户请点击浏览器图标
选择“Disable on www.wenxuecity.com”

安装Adblock用户请点击图标
选择“don't run on pages on this domain”